"Unknown Geocacher"

Metaphor

On a maintenance visit, (ok, ok, I went to grab a new bug from my own cache ((GC4CC9) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19657 ) I found a log in the logbook by "unknown geocacher", who found the cache, signed the log, left a travel bug, rehid the cache, and never logged the cache (and maybe the bug?) on the cache page. I've emailed the next finder (who took the bug) to find out the its name. The name "unknown geocacher' implies a surreptitious intent, and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar "ghost cacher" move through their cache?

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

I've had a few phantom cachers visit. Two even used the camera in the cache to take their pictures although one used sunglasses and a bandana to hide his identity. Weird. I met the other one at a local Geocaching picnic. He's a nice guy, he just prefers not to log his finds on-line. To each his own I guess. On they upside, they usually leave nicer logs in the notebook. Much better than the normal "Found it! TNLN."

On the downside, one of my travel bugs went MIA with a phantom cacher and has never been seen again.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

I just had a micro cache that was compromised (locals watched the finder re hide the cache) mailed back to me (at my request, thanks Harrald!). I was looking through the logs and found that 4 out of the 20+ finders did not log the cache on the website.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

This is a full sized box, well-hidden on a secluded section of an island refuge. To reach it, you have to drive in over 10 miles from any main highway, cross farm fields, circumvent a tidal marsh, and read clues embedded in a sonnet. In all likelihood, the unknown geocacher couldn't have stumbled on it by accident; he knew where to go. I like reading entries on the page, for both the fun value and the 'heads up' notes. But, hey, this guy sparked my curiosity as to why? After all, the game is a pretty innocuous, anonymous pastime. Why hide, when you are already pretty much hidden?

The unknown geocacher hit a couple caches that I know of in Northern Virginia, taking a travel bug at one (Splashman's Boat). I believe this is the bug that showed up in your cache. The bug was taken from here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=32377 and I saw another log entry nearby http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=32021 .

Not sure why they do not log in, but at least the bug moved along.

Way back in the days when the grass was still green

and the pond was still wet

and the clouds were still clean,

and the song of the Swomee-Swans rang out in space...

one morning, I came to this glorious place.