Wooden Nickels

Thewoodser

I know, everyone Grandfather told them not to take any, but how many would be interested in buying some to leave in a cache. They are relitavly cheap. I spoke with Herb at The Old Time Wooden Nickel Company. Herb is willing to create a "stock" logo for us Geocachers. So that means you could customize one side with your username/Club name and have the stock geocacher logo put on the other side free. They would cost $39.95 for 100, $52.45 for 250 and $69.95 for 500 plus shipping. Anyone that is interested can contact Herb at his website www.wooden-nickel.com the geocaching logo dosen't currently show up under the stock logos just e-mail him for ordering info.

Yeah I'd like to see a pic as well, I might be interested in buying some.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

There's a whole page of suggested logos here (I don't know who put them all up, but whoever you are, thanks!)

Of them, I think Gustaf #2 or Team Bohica #1 may be well suited to wooden nickels.

One thing to notice though: this thread has a discussion about how the term "geocaching" is a trademark, suject to legal protection. Perhaps one of the logos that doesn't use the word, like Leatherman #1, would be best.

I would maybe buy some. I have been looking for a signature item and did have some cheap pika cacher pencils made. But, I also want something somewhat original and have been considering magnets (and based on a recent thread) shrinky dinks (I had forgot those existed!). So, I'm not sure. Anyway, count me in the interested!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by hoovman:

There's a whole page of suggested logos http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/original_submissions.htm (I don't know who put them all up, but whoever you are, thanks!) . . . .

One thing to notice though: http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=2040964535&p=3 has a discussion about how the term "geocaching" is a trademark, suject to legal protection. . . .

First: I believe we can thank brdad up in Maine for hosting the Public Domain Geocaching Logo page. (He really should link his logo page to his home page, which is also nice.)

Second: In regard to the term geocaching being a trademark, Jeremy Irish stated in the referenced thread - We're not pursuing the trademark, so use it at will. So I think we're all set in using that word.

However, I'm not certain how Groundspeak would react to combining its URL with a logo that's not its own. Is that's an issue? A quick email to and from Groundspeak would likely answer that question.

One piece of advice: If there is a trademark issue and you get permission from Groundspeak, get the signature item really, really, really quick before they change their mind. icon_wink.gif

FISUR

Rhode Island Geocaching

I remember a news story where they were reporting that some news companies were upset that other sites had links to their stories, but it was stated that a link can't be restricted since all it really is saying is look at this public information. I would have to think a web address is the same thing as long as you aren't making money from it.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

Just to save possible trouble down the road, I would leave off the URL, instead just using the somewhat generic term of "geocaching"

I mean, lets say I want to use the GX stock logo w/URL on one side, and then use the other side of the coin for "free admission to Toe's Noodie Bar" on the other? I don't think J&TPTB would like that.

Sure, we all know that the chances are slim that someone would want to use the coin in that manner... but designing a logo with NO reference to the site here would be preferred, I think.

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

I remember a news story where they were reporting that some news companies were upset that other sites had links to their stories, but it was stated that a link can't be restricted since all it really is saying is look at this public information. I would have to think a web address is the same thing as long as you aren't making money from it.

I'd have to disagree here... hyperlinking is one thing, but when you use a company's URL on an item without their permission - it is just asking for trouble.

I mean, think about if some company started a business selling mugs, shirts, etc - with just the words " www . ebay . com " on it... you know eBay would put a stop to it.

I'm not saying the plan here is to make commercial items... I realize that it is NOT intended for that. What I am trying to point out, though, is the potential for abuse.

I bet it has been posted somewhere on the forums, what J&TPTB's thoughts are on this... I'm just spouting off here - I don't really know what the "official word" is on it. icon_smile.gif

(edit: I hope everyone doesn't think I'm trying to pee in their cheerios about this... I just like playing devil's advocate sometimes)

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by hoovman:

There's a whole page of suggested logos http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/original_submissions.htm (I don't know who put them all up, but whoever you are, thanks!)

Yes, it was me who found a home for all those logos, thanks for noticing.

As far as placing a link back to my page, that was in my plans. A little green leprechaun that runs around here was supposedly going to help me with a legal word or two on the main page, but I think about that time he had *otter* things on his mind. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm hoping to add that stuff soon. If anyone comes up with new variations they would like to place so that others may make use of them, feel free to send them to me and I'll place them. I'm thinking people may even have some home made geocaching clip art, I could add a page for that as well maybe if it sounds like a viable idea to anyone.

I think global warming is a big lie. Where are all those experts now, when I am freezing my *** through a long winter?

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

As far as placing a link back to my page, that was in my plans. A little green leprechaun that runs around here was supposedly going to help me with a legal word or two on the main page, but I think about that time he had *otter* things on his mind. icon_biggrin.gif

Hey... I resemble that remark (grins).. Thanks brdad.. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time..

By the way.. I really had a great time visiting PA and that lil green leprechaun.. he had a few tough caches that kept me very busy.. and I couldn't have asked for a better travel host as he.

Thanks for the warning that Maine is cold.. I'll head down to Florida instead (grins)

~The Lil Otter

I have created a Wooden Nickel, I call a GeoNickel it is the size of a half dollar and was approved by Bryan at Groundspeak with permission to use the geocaching logos icon_cool.gif. I bought these from Herb at The old wooden nickel Co.He has my artwork for my GeoCoin but the geocaching logo can't be used without permission from Groundspeak. which is easy to obtain go to Geocaching Logo Usage Guidelines.

img6.gifimg7.gif

[This message was edited by Big Bad Trucker on January 20, 2003 at 09:06 PM.]