Shoot 'em..or sterilize 'em...

Alan2

Black bears in northwest NJ. Cachers beware. Better not grunt on the hunt.

From the NY Times:

Suburban Bears Should Be Sterilized, Not Shot, Animal-Rights Advocate Says

By ROBERT HANLEY

TRENTON, Sept. 25 — Stuart Chaifetz, an animal-rights activist, was rummaging on the Internet about six months ago for an alternative to New Jersey's controversial black bear hunt this December. Up popped a Web site for a new product to chemically sterilize male puppies.

Today, Mr. Chaifetz, a 36-year-old freelance illustrator and a member of the New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance, which opposes the hunt, was at the State Capitol proposing that the state allow volunteer veterinarians to use the chemical on New Jersey's black bears instead of going ahead with a planned six-day hunt.

The proposal to use sharpshooters to tranquilize the bears so the chemical could be administered is almost certainly a long shot. But the bear hunt has created enough turmoil in the state that even Gov. James E. McGreevey took pains not to appear too dismissive.

"It's truly a new age for wildlife management," Mr. Chaifetz said. "People now have an alternative to killing. Let's end the hunt and move into the 21st century." He proposed that 100 bears be inoculated immediately and 300 to 400 later this fall.

Three years ago, before he was elected, Mr. McGreevey publicly opposed a bear hunt proposed then. His spokesman, Micah Rasmussen, said Mr. McGreevey still prefers not to have a hunt, but he considers a hunt the only solution to reducing the bear population in the northwestern corner of the state.

"He hates the idea of a bear hunt," Mr. Rasmussen said. "He has asked for viable alternatives to control the population. We don't have another way to protect the public safety."

Mr. Rasmussen said the governor appreciated Mr. Chaifetz's proposal and had instructed the state's environmental commissioner, Bradley M. Campbell, to determine if the sterilization chemical was a "safe, humane and effective" way to control the bear population.

But, Mr. Rasmussen said, the governor had no plans to halt December's hunt. In a statement, Mr. Campbell questioned if the sterilization process was humane. But he said his staff would review the idea along with a study on the use of an immuno-contraceptive for female bears.

The sterilization chemical, Neutersol, was approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration in May for use on male puppies 3 to 10 months old. The chemical is injected into animals' testicles, causing them to shrink and stop producing sperm in about two months.

Neutersol is produced only for licensed veterinarians by a Missouri company, Addison Biological Laboratory Inc. Addison's product director, Cord Harper, said the company can sell Neutersol only for use on puppies. But he said federal law gives veterinarians discretion to use it on other animals. He also said the company plans to start testing the chemical for use on cats and older dogs.

Theoretically, he said, the chemical should work on any male mammal. "It's the same tissue," he said.

Mr. Chaifetz said the injections would cost about $80 to $100 a bear and could be carried out by volunteer teams of veterinarians, sharpshooters and wildlife biologists.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

How many people clicked on this thinking, "What fresh horror on the pirate theme?"

That said, I don't believe in using that chemical on a wild animal.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

Of any species?

I once was lost, but now am found;

Was blind, but now I see.

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

Shoot the bears.

Sterilize the animal rights guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Best idea I've heard all day.

They're planning to control the population or reduce the population?

If they're sterilizing an animal that lives for 25-30 years in the wild, that doesn't do much for reducing population.

Seems to me the only thing this scheme will do is slow the growth, nothing else. ...and then you'll only start seeing results in a few years when the pups come of age and can't reproduce. It does nothing for the reproducers of today.

Sounds hair brained to me.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

If they're sterilizing an animal that lives for 25-30 years in the wild, that doesn't do much for reducing population.

Seems to me the only thing this scheme will do is slow the growth, nothing else. ...and then you'll only start seeing results in a few years when the pups come of age and can't reproduce. It does nothing for the reproducers of today.

Sounds hair brained to me.

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

Oh, it will do more than you think. It will advance the animal rights group, it will employe any number of people on government payrolls, and last but not least, it will cost more than you ever wanted to consider. Knowing how government reacts to this I think it is an evil plan being promoted by the bears of NJ that they know will eventually put them under federal protection with all needs being provided by the government. Bear brained idea.

quote:

Nobody said these people are smart. I live here. There are way too many bear for the available habitat...this is New Jersey for heavens sake, not Montana. They're in my garbage regularly and walk right down my street in broad daylight, past playing kids. It's not a healthy situation for the kids, or the bear.

The animal rights crowd thinks these are cuddly Teddy bears, not the wild and potentially dangerous animals that they are. Their favorite arguement is that "they were here first". Well yeah...but they were also in NYC (and pretty much every other place) first as well, but we don't want them wandering through city playgrounds and they shouldn't be wandering through suburban backyards either.

It's just a matter of time before some child gets mauled, or worse while playing on his lawn.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 26, 2003 at 09:08 PM.]

To say the least this is the funniest thread I've come across in the last few years.

Maybe this won't work, because being a Chef I know what a Capon is and how nice of a dish you can prepare with the FIXED icon_redface.gif rooster.

I wonder what a fixed bear would taste like, and we could sell the lost JEWELS to the

underground market for those that still have their jewels and urges. icon_razz.gif

Maybe Brian's Guv would be the first to make his ex jewels a cache for the environmentalist.

What a bag to brag about, I've got the Guv's Jewels. Now how do you log that one, TNLNSL or

TJ's- icon_eek.gif

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

quote:
Nobody said these people are smart. I live here. There are way too many bear for the available habitat...this is New Jersey for heavens sake, not Montana. They're in my garbage regularly and walk right down my street in broad daylight, past playing kids. It's not a healthy situation for the kids, or the bear.

Reason enough to collect bear hides, IMO.

Also, to the Chef: A don't know what a Capon, is, but is it like 'Mountain Oysters'? icon_wink.gif

I say the bears could pay for their own, um, reduction by selling off their hides and oysters...

Oh yeah, sterilize the animal rights guy while yer at it.

Doesn't NJ have a massive deer population problem due to the anti-hunting laws there?

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

quote:
Doesn't NJ have a massive deer population problem due to the anti-hunting laws there?

We don't have deer, we have giant rats with hooves and antlers. Actually, the exploding deer population here has nothing to do with our hunting laws. They are very liberal. Heck, there have to be 50 deer seasons. Doe season, muzzler loader, shotgun, bow season, you name it.

The deer problem here stems from the fact that they have adapted very well to living in close quarters with humans. Combine this with the many small, fragmented parcels of forest and field where hunting is not possible (too close to homes, schools, businesses etc...) and you have a perfect place for deer to take shelter and thrive. The problem is so bad that some towns have hired professionals to net these deer and dispatch them with a "bolt gun". Another problem is that the only predators left (though coyotes are starting to come back) are Chevy, Toyota, Ford and Nissan.

When I was growing up here, deer ware rarely seen 25-30 years ago, except in the remote areas of the state and bear were unheard of. But both have since adapted well and are here in numbers that some say exceed the pre-Columbian population.

Hunters (BTW, I'm not a hunter), come to New Jersey...please!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 27, 2003 at 11:43 AM.]

Yeah, I'm not a hunter either--used to as a kid, but not anymore. It just never really turned me on. Too boring. I'd rather fish. That way, I don't freeze my @ss off in the process being boring out of my wits.

Anyway, one more thing to consider. Hunters will pay for bear tags. So instead of spending money, the could be making money and get the population culled.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I was wondering what in the world sterilization (of males)does for 'problem bears'... even in Yellowstone (or is that Yosimite?) They have to dispatch problem bears if they return so many times after relocation attempts. I don't know much about the mating setup, does 1 male typically mate with more than 1 female? If so, you're probably not going to do that much to the size of the population, you have to render the females usless to do so.

Heck, by shooting them you may be able to help the hungry:

http://www.tednugent.com/about_tnusa/hunters_hungry.shtml

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

The only wildlife the Animal Rights community has actualy helped are, Sharks (read Lawyers), While the hunting community pours millions and millions of dollars back into the landscape every year. Every bullet , firearm ,Bow and Arrow, fishing Rod and lure,Etc. is Federaly taxed at a rate of around 11% through the Pittman-Robinson (PR) and Dingel Johnson (DJ) federal excise taxes These monies are distributed back to the state wildlife agencies based on numbers of Hunting and Fishing licenses sold to be spent on projects that benefit game and non-game species alike.

The best way to control an overpopulated species is to harvest some of them. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense spending money sterilizing them. What would the long-term effect be? It may not even solve the problem. Definitely isn’t going to have a short-term effect. The population control can be done for free or even make money by selling permits for a hunting season.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
How has this effected your caching?

quote:
We don't have deer, we have giant rats with hooves and antlers.... ....Heck, there have to be 50 deer seasons. Doe season, muzzler loader, shotgun, bow season, you name it.

Well, BrianSnat has to wear bright orange all the time... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

BrianSnat: Thanks, I knew there was a problem, but the proximity certainly does make hunting problematic - hitting a house or kids playing in the yard is a huge no-no.

Although... I'm sure hankering fer some venison jerky right about now...

---------------------

I can see Elmer Fudd now, creeping through the woods with his gun, a biologist, a tree hugger and a photographer saying "be very, very quiet, we are going to shoot a bear, and take pictures of it while we fondle it and make his testicals shrink while taking pictures to put on the discovery channel."

Give me a break, just tell Loreana Bobbit that bear nuts taste just like chicken Mcnuggets.

Or better yet, as they point out that the bears are "natural", so is hunting, the caveman didn't paint pics of animals getting hunted while eating tofu dressed in hemp skins while drinking bottled water.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

Heres something I found on another site apparently if you drink bottled water you may be on their hit list

Eco-Terrorists Leave Incendiary Devices at Michigan Bottling Facility- (09/26)

Michigan

In a recent act of ecological terror, Earth Liberation Front (ELF) activists broke into a Michigan water-bottling facility and planted four incendiary devises. The group threatened that, "When all legal avenues of dissent have been undertaken to no avail, only one option remains: illegal direct action."

On September 22, four plastic bottles containing flammable liquid were discovered at the Ice Mountain Spring Water Company in Stanwood, Michigan. The ELF, a group known by the FBI as one of the most active domestic terror organizations, claimed responsibility for the action.

"We will no longer stand idly by while corporations profit at the expense of all others. To this end, we have taken action against one of the pumping stations that Perrier uses to steal water," the Earth Liberation Front said in a news release.

Animal rights terrorists also claimed responsibility for the recent bombing of Chiron Corporation’s offices, a biotechnology firm near San Francisco. A group calling itself the Revolutionary Cells Animal Liberation Brigade left two pipe bombs equipped with timers outside the Chiron offices.

The FBI is investigating these acts.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance is working with the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), a bipartisan membership association for conservative state lawmakers, to help curb attacks like these by promoting the Animal and Ecological Terrorism Act (AETA). The bill creates penalties for persons encouraging, financing, assisting or engaging in acts of animal and ecological terrorism.

“The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance is eager to combat animal rights terrorism,” said U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance President Bud Pidgeon. “We are working with legislators across the country to introduce the Animal and Ecological Terrorism Act. Five states have already passed or introduced legislation that will punish those who use violence to intimidate legitimate researchers, business people, farmers, sportsmen and others.”

ALEC echoed that statement.

“Most states make no legal distinction between a disgruntled youth vandalizing a public park and an organized eco-terrorist torching a family’s home,” said Sandy Liddy Bourne, advisor to ALEC’s Homeland Security Working Group. “The legislation specifically addresses actions that are designed to intimidate, coerce, invoke fear, or other forms of terror that are committed in the name of environmental or animal rights activism.”

For more information about the legislation, contact the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance at (614) 888-4868 or email info@ussportsmen.org.

quote:
Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

Well, when you consider that a bullet could cost .80 to 1 dollar

compared to 80 to 100, it's an easy descision.

Actually, as

with almost anything, you could leave it to the private sector

to do it far cheaper... hunters would donate bullets.

So now, in addition to "Tree Huggers" we have "Bear Huggers"?

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

I once caught 4 (that's FOUR) deer hunters in my backyard, about 50 yds from my clothes line and my kids sandbox. That made me a bit... grumpy... about hunters.

However, I grew up in the west and know that you have to have limits on "wild" populations. I'm a big time animal rights chickie, and tend toward being a vegetarian, but dangit, sometimes you gotta hunt a population of critters for the good of ALL the critters in their environment! We're the part of the "wild" that can think and plan. Let's use that power wisely. (hunt the bears and the deer, lay off the commercial salmon for a while, be nice to coyotes and wolves in places with too many herbivores, etc.)

"Looking for love at all the wrong co-ordinates."

quote:
I once caught 4 (that's FOUR) deer hunters in my backyard, about 50 yds from my clothes line and my kids sandbox. That made me a bit... grumpy... about hunters.

AS someone who used to hunt, but has not in a while, let me just say "I'm sorry" on behalf of responsible hunters. There are goood ones out there, believe it or not, and most of them share your views on wildlife management. It's nice to sit back and say 'let them be', but when they die a slow death of starvation due to overpopulation, it isn't so cute then.

Bear Burgers... sounds a bit chewy, but I'll try em!

---------------------