Geocache Event?

What is expected at a Geocache event or what can it be?

I took some reading(s) today at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and am going there race day? I was just thinking of seeing if other cachers would meet for a few minutes a couple hours before the race. Dumb idea?

The best things in life are not things...

Now Open... http://www.geoindiana.com <-Click It! You know you want to!

Well, in my (limited) experience, cachers like to socialize. Just a few minutes might not be long enough!

We had an event cache barbecue last Saturday and were really excited when about 6 families came.

But we did announce it two months in advance, and I also went through all the finds on local caches and emailed each active cacher from our area (and a few others) to let them know the date and direct them to the cache page. Isent out about 25 emails and we ended up with about 11 responses in all.

Maybe you could meet at a food booth for coffee or a soda? But I would give it a window of time, say start 1-1/2 hours before the race and end in time for people toget their seats.

Good luck! Our cache was a blast icon_smile.gif

Well, in my (limited) experience, cachers like to socialize. Just a few minutes might not be long enough!

We had an event cache barbecue last Saturday and were really excited when about 6 families came.

But we did announce it two months in advance, and I also went through all the finds on local caches and emailed each active cacher from our area (and a few others) to let them know the date and direct them to the cache page. Isent out about 25 emails and we ended up with about 11 responses in all.

Maybe you could meet at a food booth for coffee or a soda? But I would give it a window of time, say start 1-1/2 hours before the race and end in time for people toget their seats.

Good luck! Our cache was a blast icon_smile.gif

I'de have to agree on the "extra time needed for socialization". Every time I meet cachers that I've talked to on the forums.......time seems to morph into quick silver. That is for the adults it does. I just seems that there is so much to talk about. Comparing GPS...stories of best caches...and comming to grips with how a cacher actually looks (better than imagined without exception)...I always seem to envision people differenty from the way they post.......(I had a cacher tell me that I look way younger that I "sound".....and I loved that comment!)

Oh kids just get this "enough all ready" look and reminded us that meal time had been significantly delayed.......Met cachers in Erie PA and Ottawa Canada.....in both case dinner got moved back by 3 hours icon_rolleyes.gif

Our kids told us that this was close to neglect...so now I have crackers in the car.

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

I'de have to agree on the "extra time needed for socialization". Every time I meet cachers that I've talked to on the forums.......time seems to morph into quick silver. That is for the adults it does. I just seems that there is so much to talk about. Comparing GPS...stories of best caches...and comming to grips with how a cacher actually looks (better than imagined without exception)...I always seem to envision people differenty from the way they post.......(I had a cacher tell me that I look way younger that I "sound".....and I loved that comment!)

Oh kids just get this "enough all ready" look and reminded us that meal time had been significantly delayed.......Met cachers in Erie PA and Ottawa Canada.....in both case dinner got moved back by 3 hours icon_rolleyes.gif

Our kids told us that this was close to neglect...so now I have crackers in the car.

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

I'm curious to know what is expected as well. I'm planning on visiting the Klamath Falls are in June for theres to see what they do.

I want to have one in late July or early August (so that people from warmer areas can cool off at the coast). I think I can wrangle up some sponsors for door prizes. I read somewhere where another cache group was putting together travel bugs that were available to the first so-many people that showed up. Those TB's had specific agendas related to the event.

I would also make it a potluck, though we would supply the soda/water/coffee. The place I have in mind is just a few feet from the beach, so folks who wanted could take advantage of the walking path, play in the sand, etc. There is also volleyball and horseshoes facilities available. I have planned to put together a special cache (or two) for the event, and provide maps to nearby local caches that already exist.

Does this sound good? I would want to make it an annual event, and maybe move it into something that grows as time goes on. There are many places to camp and some nice motels nearby. I don't expect it to be as big a draw as the Goose Festival here, but do you think you would like to come?

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

It's not whether or not you pick your nose that matters, but where you put the booger...

I hope you're talking about our June 8th bash. It's on the way to Klamath from where you are. Here's the link....

LazyBoy & Mitey Mite Bash

We are going to have some eats and I'll put our 2 or 3 backyard caches (next to blm) that will be available to log for those attending. I also plan to have a little door prize and here's a pic of that. It really won't be anything fancy. I've attended an event before at a pizza parlor and that was a blast too. We just love getting together and having some fun.

Here's a pic of the door prize, but such things aren't necessary, I just wanted to do it. And we would love to head over to the coast come hot weather. Do anything you like, we'll have fun.

18814_200.jpg

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
I want to have one in late July or early August (so that people from warmer areas can cool off at the coast).

So you probably won't be attending this event? Fun time to have an event in Phoenix, eh?. Temperature may be down in the 2-digit range by game time.

I got married in Phoenix in June (many Junes ago), and the 7:00pm temperature was a moderate 92 degrees F.

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

So you probably won't be attending http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=9060919064 Fun time to have an event in Phoenix, eh?.

Me? Phoenix? Nah, I melt when the tempurature gets above 85! Must have something to do with having redhair, you think?

That is why I am trying to get as many Valley caches done now before it really heats up.

My folks live in Fresno and they just can't understand why I won't come visit in the summers...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

It's not whether or not you pick your nose that matters, but where you put the booger...