Walking the Talk

One of the motto's we ascribe to is 'Cache in, Trash out".

I've been slack about collecting garbage on the trail. I am setting a goal for myself to meet. I intend to collect a minimum of 3 lbs on each outing.

Picking up garbage is not exactly what drives me to the great outdoors but it certainly will make it more enjoyable if more of us make an effort.

I'm planting seeds here. I intend to meet my own commitment no matter what the response to this question is.

So what are the rest of you doing to "Cache in, Trash out"?

KernBob

mifune.jpg

I added this to my newest cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=21699

about picking up trash. I took out one bag and it was just a start. I agree safety is the first aspect, and washing after or hand wipes. Lets make it better, then when someone ask what it is we do, part of your response can be hide and seek and cleaning up after others. Sounds like home. I don't think any of the articles I have read about this "sport" have mentioned about helping clean.

One of the things that Team Misguided does is put kitchen size trash bags into snack size "zip-loc" or clear film cans with a sticker on them showing the C.I./T.O. logo and a brief message asking cachers to use the bags if they spotted any trash on their way into the cache.

Also, as far as dealing with the "toxic waste" items, I always wear a pair of rubberized knit gloves. You've probably seen them in hardware stores, grey in color with blue or green rubber on the fingers and palms. They also work great for pushing blackberry vines out of the way, although, they don't stop the large thorns.

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

On a maintenence trip to my cache "Park it in the Orchard" I hauled out a large glad bag full of trash, including a whole half rack of empty beer bottles, an old rainjacket, various rusty cans, and a bunch of other stuff. The park has garbage cans all over the place, what is so hard about using them??? It's frustrating that so many people are too lazy to simply do the right thing.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

You should've seen the trash taken out from "THE SEARCH" event this past weekend. We hauled out a steering column from a Chevy truck, a fender of some other vehicle, a mangled seat from the same vehicle, a folding lawn chair (the kind you would find near a pool), a dead 7 in. Skil saw, and probaly a dozen sacks of misc. garbage. Its amazing the things people will go out their way to dispose of.

I always look for at least one piece of garbage to take out (fortunately I have been to a number of caches where I couldn't find any). Yesterday I left a new pair of garden gloves (got them for a buck at the dollar store!) in a cache with a suggestion they be used for "cache in trash out".

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!

We haul trash out of 75-80% of cache sites we visit, I'd say. Out of those, we fill at least one kitchen trash bag probably 2/3 of the time. Sometimes we've done 2 or 3 bags full. Ick. Even if we don't pull out a bunch, we usually pick up 1 or 2 pieces of stuff. I was posting pics a lot to try to encourage others and forwarded them to the CITO e-mail, but I've kind of left off taking the pics and posting so much.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching