Space Shuttle COLUMBIA explodes over Texas

TV has pictures of debris falling...

A very good friend of mine was a cameraman for the NBC afilliate in the DFW area. He drew the card of getting up early in the morning to attempt to get pictures of the space shuttle Columbia decending across Texas on its way home. What he got was a lot more than he expected. I am still amazed at what he was able to capture in doing his job - even though he instantly realized what he was witnessing. He was horrified by the event and even though his work provided a valuable record of events of our lives at this time, it changed him dramatically. I have other aquaintences that also had ties to that specific program -one being an instructor that taught the astronauts how to use the robotic arm on the spacecraft. No matter where I look - its a very close part of my life - even if it is in an indirect manner.

If you want a great education in the trials and tribulations of space travel, may I recommend the space museum in Huntsville, Alabama. That is truely the most amazing account of space travel I have ever seen in my life. It really brings a lot of respect to what the life of an Astronaut must be.

Let's hope (and pray) for better fortune this time...Monday 4:40 am landing time.

Geez, thanks for the scare :laughing: !!!

Shoulda locked this thread long ago!

Scare? Discovery is in space right now, not Columbia.

That having been said, I'm still a strong proponent of having a "thread archive" forum for each year's threads rather than leaving them laying around to bubble up and scare/shock/enrage/confuse 2 or 3 years after their utility and frame of reference ran out.

Enough threads are repeated simply from new posters thinking their ideas are new that to leave old ones around because they "might still be useful as active topics" is just noise. If the topic is still good and it's dated last year, you can always start a new topic and link to the old one.

Let's hope (and pray) for better fortune this time...Monday 4:40 am landing time.

Geez, thanks for the scare :laughing: !!!

Shoulda locked this thread long ago!

Scare? Discovery is in space right now, not Columbia.

That having been said, I'm still a strong proponent of having a "thread archive" forum for each year's threads rather than leaving them laying around to bubble up and scare/shock/enrage/confuse 2 or 3 years after their utility and frame of reference ran out.

Enough threads are repeated simply from new posters thinking their ideas are new that to leave old ones around because they "might still be useful as active topics" is just noise. If the topic is still good and it's dated last year, you can always start a new topic and link to the old one.

I agree. I especially don't like seeing this topic. It dredges up sad feelings. The first thought that people have is that something happened to "Discovery" which is currently in flight.

Either way the topic has nothing to do with caching. Unless GC has made a rule to allow discussion on current news events?

El Diablo