How do I undo an Archived Cache?

I had a cache turn up missing (Hoard of Many Things) so I archived it so folks wouldn't waste their time looking for it. My intent was to replace it in a few days and then put it back up.

Problem is I don't see a way to undo an Archived Cache. It was only then that I noticed the 'disable this cache temporarily' button.

Did I goof? Anyway to reactivate the cache so I don't lose it's log history?

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

A couple of things...

First, you can unarchive a cache with a simple e-mail to contact@geo... They'll reactivate Hoard for you.

Second, the other option, which seems to have many supporters in this forum, is to leave the original one archived. Since on the cache page you indicated that you're going to move it a little further off trail, it will have new coordinates and a new feel. Why not just set it up as a new cache?

“Hoard II: Return of the Box”

That way David April will have something else to find in his area. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

A couple of things...

First, you can unarchive a cache with a simple e-mail to contact@geo... They'll reactivate Hoard for you.

Second, the other option, which seems to have many supporters in this forum, is to leave the original one archived. Since on the cache page you indicated that you're going to move it a little further off trail, it will have new coordinates and a new feel. Why not just set it up as a new cache?

“Hoard II: Return of the Box”

That way David April will have something else to find in his area. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Yes, how do you get a cache reinstated after its been archived. We have one very good cache here in Sweden http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2391 which was archived by the owner but since then three people have visited the site and found that the cache is alive and well.

I have mailed the cache owner and Contact@geocaching but the cache still remains on the books as "not there".

What should we do? It's a nice cache and it is a pity if nobody goes there.

You can e-mail the nice folks at geocaching.com but I think that they would prefer not to get a hundred e-mails a day asking for "unarchiving". That's why the "Temporarily Disable" feature was added. If you think you might revive a geocache, just disable it. Archived geocaches are intended to be closed for good.

As for the one in Sweden, the problem is that the cache owner has not made the request. It's his/her baby and that's that. On the other hand, you can still log a find on archived geocache (I believe) so you might think of it as a well kept secret if it is indeed still in place.

- Seth!

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

You can e-mail the nice folks at geocaching.com but I think that they would prefer not to get a hundred e-mails a day asking for "unarchiving". That's why the "Temporarily Disable" feature was added. If you think you might revive a geocache, just disable it. Archived geocaches are intended to be closed for good.

- Seth!

If that's the case, it seems odd that a person logging a cache can check "Cache should be archived" which causes it to go away without the owner having a say about it.

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

If that's the case, it seems odd that a person logging a cache can check "Cache should be archived" which causes it to go away without the owner having a say about it.

That's just a new option on your post a log page. It does not archive the cache if you check it. It will show up in the body of your post. Like a suggestion to the owner.

Say if you find the area clear cut by loggers. You and four people before you were unable to find the cache, ect...

Dissclaimer:

This is only an opinion. This is a compillation of experiences with three specific GPSr units. These experiences may or maynot add or detract from the specific capabilities of other units of the same makes or models. Any experiances or opinions by this user may or maynot support or conflict with the experiances or opinions of other users, and will not be held in debate.

This is only an opinion.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

reply:

That's just a new option on your post a log page. It does not archive the cache if you check it. It will show up in the body of your post. Like a suggestion to the owner.

That's not the way it worked on one of my caches which was archived without my input. I would have deactivated the cache until I had an opportunity to check on it, but it was still a shock to have it archived without my permission.

quote:

That's not the way it worked on one of my caches which was archived without my input. I would have deactivated the cache until I had an opportunity to check on it, but it was still a shock to have it archived without my permission.

I noticed this cache was archived by admin. However it took a month and a half.

The cache was dissabled temp by the owner between April 12 and 16. It wasn't archived till June 3.

Dissabled caches may go on a different list for admin and they give it just so much time before they archive it.

If the "this cache should be archived" choice in a log alerts admin and they archive it right away that's something we should all be aware of.

Some new Cacher could check this option just because they couldn't find it. Then we would end up e-mailing Jeremy just to get our cahe back up.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg