Support for BrianSnat

Criminal

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Yes, by Seattle I did indeed mean ya’ll up there. The only solution I could see was for someone to pull lists of ISPs for all the caches that had been plundered, looking for a pattern. Probably not realistic. I thought I saw something about these morons getting access to MO caches, this would mean at least one of them is a paying member. I have very little knowledge in this area, so when you say there’s not much that can be done; I have to defer to your higher experience level. I am wrong sometimes.

I'll let this get back on to the moral support for BrianSnat, but if there was an easy solution we certainly would have implemented it by now. We do what we can but web sites were built for public access so there is no magic solution. People want to be able to have convienient access and expect us to sieve out the bad eggs. But from our end, all the shells look the same.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
The only solution I could see was for someone to pull lists of ISPs for all the caches that had been plundered, looking for a pattern.
Crim, you're violating yer own request... big_smile.gif

For me, discussion on strategies to fix the pirating problem moved to where it belongs.

BTW, as I've said elsewhere, I support BrianSnat, whatever he wants to do. His hides are in accord with Team Og's motto. We'd like to have the chance to do more, especially the two on Pyramid that we haven't gotten to yet.

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

All who wander are not lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

AOL would be the first ISP to go.

As the old saying goes, one bad apple...

Well I don't think one or a few bad apples should cause an ISP from being banned. Especially a large one like AOL. Unfortunately a lot of people use AOl, myself included. There's no cable to my house, my phone company does serve DSL out my way, and AOL is an easy choice. Do I like it? Not really, but it's one of the few choice s I have. Just as many others out there use it as well. Block AOL out and then you will lose a good bit of members and paying members. All I ask is that if you do so, let me know in advance(to remove my caches) and to send me a check for the balance of my membership. Others may like that as well.

I think the better alternative is to require a log in. I imagine the pirate(s) are people who have been banned from the forums or what not before. So if they have to log in to get the info, then you can track them or at least narrow down who it may be. But then it would take more than one looking at a cache to determine who it is. Could be someone who's already been to the cache and this is their alter ego.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

pumpkinlights.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Skully & Mulder et al.:

We live in North Jersey & have found 43 of Brian's physical caches. He has hidden some of our favorite caches. It would be a major blow to NJ if he stops placing caches but I can't blame him. I just don't get why someone gets enjoyment out aggravating other people.

Ditto. (although I haven't found 43 of his caches yet). Vial Vial wasn't my one of the best, but it's still sad that someone who's too lazy to plan and place their own caches (ie. the pirate) thinks it's funny to steal cache.

Keep up the good hides Brian!

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

I think the better alternative is to require a log in. I imagine the pirate(s) are people who have been banned from the forums or what not before. So if they have to log in to get the info, then you can track them or at least narrow down who it may be. But then it would take more than one looking at a cache to determine who it is. Could be someone who's already been to the cache and this is their alter ego.

I don't really know if requiring a log-in or even a paid membership would deter anyone. The cost isn't substantial and the folks that were previously doing it were well aware of the "sport" of geocaching and how to do it so they aren't just folks stumbling onto the site to cause trouble. They are themselves geocachers.

I send all my support and sympathy to Brian.

Having said that to stay on topic, I maintain that the only fun a pirate really has is listening to all the uproar he causes.

quote:
Thay be crying in da forums over dar because thay don't like we pirates play thar game.PANTALAIMON,UMC,CARLEENP,BRIANSNAT,SEPTICTANK,RADICAL GEEZER,SENECA,MOZARTMAN,and RIGHT WING WACKO thay all be crying because thay can't stop us we pirates. Me gets a belly laugh out of em. As for BRIANSNAT he be the biggest cry baby of all he can archive his caches all ye wants, it doesn't matter to us pirates.

Threads like this one and any others that even mention pirates are pirate food.

quote:
Ignoring a problem never makes it go away, you have to face it head on and deal with it, one way or another.

And they way to face this problem head on is to ignore it (at least publicly).When the pirates can make no waves, they will stop splashing.

The best thing ADMIN can do is to strongly discourage any public talk about pirates and maybe even censor those who attempt such conversations.

quote:
Now I would really catch hell for that.

I can't believe I said that, but that's the way I feel.

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

Yeah, but if we could come up with a means of membership that was paid (like now) and a "guest membership" that wasn't paid, but did have the user tracking functions, then maybe we could at least have some idea of who is looking at a particular cache listing.

Good points. Though instead of creating "guest memberships" we could just give the cache an option to be viewed by logged in users only. A logged in user has - at a bare minimum - a valid email address. That and logged IP and you have enough information to chuck them for abuse.

The data acquired through guest membership registration might be good for marketing either for Groundspeak or for the local caching groups that always have difficulty finding all the local people interested given that many geocachers don't read forums at all. (another source of revenue, and another means of tying local cache groups to the mothership rather than have them go off and join one of the other sites.)

"Half this game is ninety percent mental." Danny Ozark

Don't let it get you down Brian. There's nothing that can be done about it except to re-place them. Heck, the next geocacher to find it can maybe do that for you.

There's probably only a few pirate cachers and thousands of us normal geofolks. They will tire of their game eventually and leave us alone.

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

Ignoring a problem never makes it go away, you have to face it head on and deal with it, one way or another.

Agreed, but in some cases responding to and talking about stuff like this provides an audience, which is all the perp really wants (like serial killers who cut out their own press clippings) and stopping the flow of information would cut the attention and eventually they would go back to shoplifting or obscene phone calls or whatever else they used to do for fun.

In fact posting here just probably identifies us as targets.

Oops.

I'm pretty sure Brian brought this upon himself, making himself a target by some of his posts here in the forums.

I never cared for him much after he accused me of being a cheater. Because of that I feel that he is pompous and arrogant, and at the time I would have trashed his caches myself, if I had the means to do it.

I'd like to say that he deserves what he got, but even I feel some sympathy for the big goofball. icon_smile.gif

cachew nut,

I don't see a lot of icon_wink.gif's in your message. So I will assume much of what you said is serious. Some of your comments would be considered flames and are not appropriate on this forum.

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

Please don't throw sand when playing in the sandbox!

quote:
cachew nut wrote:

I'm pretty sure Brian brought this upon himself, making himself a target by some of his posts here in the forums.

Whoa there nut man. Perhaps Brian is a bit outspoken in the forums and this makes him somewhat of a geocaching celebrity target, but I disagree that he brought this upon himself.

There is no excuse for the way that BrianSnat's cache was plundered.

There is no doubt that anyone who has their caches plundered deserves sympathy, but we are looking at the amount of caches BrianSnat has placed.

Bluehook = 9

FreshAir = 1

BrianSnat = 54 + 2 Event Caches

I believe the impact of Brian archiving his caches is alot greater than many other cache placers, myself included icon_frown.gif

Kar

I to have sympathy for BS. My first cache was p*&^*ed, (I refuse to use the p_word any longer, nor alk like one) but was returned to its proper hiding place before I even got our of work by a local geo-angel-Gneiss, Tuff and Wacke. I wondered if BS was being targeted or if other NJ caches are suffering the same fate. Team Shibby's stats help clear that ? us a bit.

I haven't met BS yet, but hope to some day. I for one like his Jersey 'tude. icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
You can do things to make it more likely your caches will get plundered, like annoying the wrong person in the forums or placing more caches than the average cacher. That does not in any way ever let the pirate off the hook.

Actually, I've been quite lucky (so far). This was only the 2nd cache I've had plundered out of 48 real caches. I make sure I only tick off people west of the Mississippi icon_wink.gif .

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

BrianSnat - All round good guy

Many in the geocaching community throughout the world know of Brian as a great cacher. He has a large number of caches hidden and has offered numerous helpful comments on the forum.

Those of us the in Northeast know of him for other good deeds:

1. He is an active volunteer with the NY/NJ Trail Conference and Trails Supervisor for Ramapo Mountain State Forest. See this thread.

2. He regularly does volunteer work at Lenape Meadow Archaeological Excavation.