I guess it's a 'done deal'...

Cache Canucks

Was going to buy a pair this week but spent my money on too many other things. Trekking poles, weather radio, cache goodies, 18 ammo cans so on and so forth.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

"...Was going to buy a pair this week but spent my money on too many other things. Trekking poles, weather radio, cache goodies, 18 ammo cans so on and so forth..."

I'm a huge fan of trekking poles ever since my son and I started using them this summer. If these are your first, I'm certain that you'll soon be wondering how you went so long without them!

Then again, if I misinterpreted your comments and you were, in fact, making reference to a purchase related to some obscure Eastern European knock-off of a popular American science fiction television series, please disregard this post.

CC,

These are the ones I got. I have only used one so far but see where two would be so much better. I can't do that and hold my GPSr at the same time though. Nor do I want to look like a bigger dork than I already do.

______________________________________________________________________________________

quote:

"...These are the ones I got. I have only used one so far but see where two would be so much better. I can't do that and hold my GPSr at the same time though. Nor do I want to look like a bigger dork than I already do..."

Nice! Personally, although I purchased my Black Diamond's as a 'pair' as well, I've yet to ever use two at a time (which is fine, because it frees up one each for two of us). As you've already discovered, using a single pole as you would a conventional hiking staff (...and who uses two of those at a time?) is the answer if you want to keep one hand free for managing your GPSr (...or water bottle, or whatever). And of course, by using only one pole, there is the avoidance of the 'Over Equipped Dork' factor you mentioned icon_wink.gif !

CC,

Right on all accounts. I like being able to move leaves and sticks around with out bending over or getting my hands so dirty that I can't touch anything until I wash then. I plan on using two if we get enough snow to strap my snowshoes on. If nothing else to try the poles out in that scenario.

quote:

CC,

I have only used one so far but see where two would be so much better. I can't do that and hold my GPSr at the same time though. Nor do I want to look like a bigger dork than I already do.

Here's what I use to hold the GPS and FSR. You can also get the generic version. I have both. I wrap the leash of the GPS around my neck and drop it into the holder on the strap of my Camelbak Blowfish.

Don't blame me, I voted for Jeremy.

quote:

CC,

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=6264340&parent_category_rn=4500557 are the ones I got. I have only used one so far but see where two would be so much better. I can't do that and hold my GPSr at the same time though. Nor do I want to look like a bigger dork than I already do.

Sounds pretty funny if you were, Of course two way radios work better with two, but only if there are two people, otherwise you would look like a dork. had to read this over before I realized you were talking about poles. heehee

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

My only problem with using FRS systems, is what I call 'The Verizon Effect" (Can you hear me now?) These things are used a lot by Army troops as unofficial non-tactical, unauthorized commo means. They usually do the the Verizon Effect 3-4 times before they actually say anything important.

Madog "Discover of America"

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_Hey what's up with the Motorola design?!_

That would be my very last choice in FRS radios.

_Ok maybe not the last. Audiovox, need I say more?_

http://home1.gte.net/res1ewfe/images/lodging3.jpg http://home1.gte.net/res1ewfe/images/geol1.jpg

_If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do._

http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/95articles/Hunt-full.html

I originally bought some Audiovox radios when I first bought them, but took them back after about 3 days. When I first got them I primarily used them to talk to my girlfriend in the house when I was in the garage playing with cars (it was a detached garage and I got tired of walking in and out for little things). The radios wouldn't work when they were more than about 20' apart. I picked up a couple of the low end Motorola's (I don't remember the model off hand) and they've been great. Use 'em in the garage, on road trips when I'm caravaning in separate cars, and now for Geocaching.