Cache Owners who are NOT responsible shouldn't have Geocaches!!!!

zoisrus

I have a Major pet peeve and am asking suggestions and comments.

Several Caches in my neighboring areas aren't owned by responsible owners! The contents and log book are in these various caches are waterlogged (container leaked, someone dumped contents on grown and a cache put contents back in container, etc). Finders (sometimes mutiple finders) have mentioned this in their posts back in May-June. However the cache owners have not been responsibe IMHO because they have NOT bothered to go back and maintain their caches properly-restoring contents and log books/using water tight containers-etc. I've e-mailed some of these folks privately and the typical response I get is "I haven't gotten around to it-I will post a note to the cache page when I do". I could understand if they were out of town or had some personal problems that prevented them from getting back to visit their caches. But just not maintaining a cache cause they can't be bothered-BOTHERS ME. In fact I remember reading some posts about a particular cache in this area were finders had gone back and provided the cache with a better container because the owner apparently was ignoring posts that his cache container had a cracked lid and had not taken care of the problem himself.

When I own a cache I visit it at least monthly to make sure it was intact and no social trail was forming. IF I was made aware of a problem (from a post or e-mail) with my own cache, I would take care of it immediately. If a cache owner can't take the time to check out a known problem that he/she has been informed of for a month or more they don't deserve to own a cache-just my opinion! Lots of Geocachers like myself will drive an hour or more to go Geocaching. We take the time to visit a cache-the cache owner ought to be responsible enough to maintain a cache that people are traveling long distances to find.

Any thoughts?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAcrossAmerica

I've made trips to cache out your way Zoisrus well from Erie to Cleveland actually, and was really disapointed, to the point of being upset with some of them. Some shouldn't even be considered caches, instead they were just trash sitting out there polutting. The world has way to many caches like that (I'm still on a crusade against unimaginative 1/1's but that's another completely different situation). If a cache is waterlogged and junk and no one has done anything with it for months, you can "adopt" the cache by contacting the administrators. Or you can request it to be archived. Either one I think is legit (I don't really believe in cache police) but at the same time if a land manager stumbled upon some of the caches I've scene in that area it would definately not give a good name to our sport.

Mike

ps by the way Zoisrus I pulled into town yesterday mourning and have plans for several new caches, I'll keep you updated.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

This issue of owner maintenance has been discussed ad nauseum. As do you, I feel anyone who places a cache must take responsibilty for it and maintain it with some regularity (once or twice annually or whenever problems reported). Others feel it's OK to place and forget, like caches placed while on vacation or a business trip.

As with any new endeavor, when folks get into geocaching they tend to be excited and can be a bit hasty when placing caches, not giving enough thought to future maintenance issues. If they won't maintain it, you can inquire about adopting it, or if it's in really bad shape, and they haven't responded, remove it, have an admin archive it and tell the owner where he/she can come to pick it up.

'Adopt-a-cache' allows someone nearby the cache who can/will maintain it to take ownership of it either through agreement from the cache owner or, if no response from the owner after multiple attempts, via the geocaching.com admins. Ask the cache owner if you can adopt the cache if you're willing to take over responsibilty for it.

-

I've placed a couple of out of town caches that have gone well, and a couple that I've archived. Sort of like my local ones.

Some really maintain their caches beautifully. I will check on mine every so often. But in my area they seem to just go on and on without trouble. Urban caches are another story.

I know one out of town buddy who placed one cache about a year ago. He thought he'd be into this hobby but he didn't. His cache has been logged a bunch of times and he could care less what condition it's in. What is nice is local cachers will fix things up, put in a new log book, fix up the contents and the latest I hear is they've asked the next cacher to bring out a new box. So we can fix a problem cache ourselves. If one is in your area put a "watch" on it and respond to any problems. You don't have to adopt it as we know sometimes that upsets the original cacher. But we can improve caching ourselves with just a little effort.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I know one out of town buddy who placed one cache about a year ago. He thought he'd be into this hobby but he didn't. His cache has been logged a bunch of times and he could care less what condition it's in. What is nice is local cachers will fix things up, put in a new log book, fix up the contents and the latest I hear is they've asked the next cacher to bring out a new box. So we can fix a problem cache ourselves. If one is in your area put a "watch" on it and respond to any problems. You don't have to adopt it as we know sometimes that upsets the original cacher. But we can improve caching ourselves with just a little effort.

Very well stated! I agree whole heartedly. I've found that we do the same in our area. It adds a personal bond to the cache/memory and teaches our children a valuable lesson as well. Do unto others.... icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

quote:

Very well stated! I agree whole heartedly. I've found that we do the same in our area. It adds a personal bond to the cache/memory and teaches our children a valuable lesson as well. Do unto others.... icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

Here's what I don't get. I place a cache and basically don't care a whit whether it is cache or trash. I don't bother checking up on it at all, or placed it in another state and forgot about it.

Someone takes it upon themselves to fix it up, and asks to adopt it. My email has changed or I ignore them for whatever reason. The cache is adopted by requesting the web site.

I should be upset? Come on now. So is the opinion that someone who is lazy and/or irresponsible has the right to be mad when they essentially abandoned the cache?

Tell me where I'm wrong here.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
someone who is lazy and/or irresponsible
hey is that a shot at me???

But you ask does the person have the right to be angry? I suppose, but it isn't your concern, other than you're trying to do what's right. I think he has the right to be an idiot too if he wants icon_wink.gif

That case of the guy removing his cache is about as bad as I've seen. I would rather have someone just walk away and leave his cache out there as my friend did because I know the caching community will fix it up.

quote:
someone who is lazy and/or irresponsible
hey is that a shot at me???

But you ask does the person have the right to be angry? I suppose, but it isn't your concern, other than you're trying to do what's right. I think he has the right to be an idiot too if he wants icon_wink.gif

That case of the guy removing his cache is about as bad as I've seen. I would rather have someone just walk away and leave his cache out there as my friend did because I know the caching community will fix it up.

There are a number of caches around here that are basically community property. The original owners (very prolific cachers) moved away and were going to remove them. But others persuaded them to leave them. Now some of them have official adopters and some of them are just looked after by the entire community. Anytime someone posts a "Not Found" or 'needs help' log it doesn't take but a few hours before a local checks up on it.

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

It can be so simple can't it. Just do what's right. But in that one case Jeremy referred to, a cacher got his feelings hurt because his cache was adopted, after he ignored it for a year.

I'm glad the vast majority of cachers are standup people and fun to be around. In fact this evening we're having a little pizza cache in our area. Just a little monthly even that was started so the local cachers can meet each other. I suggest doing the same thing in your area.

quote:

It can be so simple can't it. Just do what's right. But in that one case Jeremy referred to, a cacher got his feelings hurt because his cache was adopted, after he ignored it for a year.

I'm glad the vast majority of cachers are standup people and fun to be around. In fact this evening we're having a little

pizza cache

in our area. Just a little monthly even that was started so the local cachers can meet each other. I suggest doing the same thing in your area.

Hey - NO PIZZA CACHE (Food)

But, beer is okay... icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:

I'm glad the vast majority of cachers are standup people and fun to be around. In fact this evening we're having a little

pizza cache

in our area. Just a little monthly even that was started so the local cachers can meet each other. I suggest doing the same thing in your area.

Hey - NO PIZZA CACHE (Food)

But, beer is okay... icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

I agree with both Dawgies and Jeremy. Well, actually, I agree with most of you. But I especially liked what Dawgies said about providing an example for the kids. Last night we visited a cache where there wasn't anything we wanted to take. However, just for fun, we left a couple of things that we thought other cachers would like. My kids were astounded. I just explained to them that a lot of the fun of the game, for me, is leaving caches nicer than I found them, when I can. They got really quiet, and I could see them thinking that through. It was very cool.

I think that if admins review an "abandoned" cache, and determine that it's really abandoned, and let someone adopt it, that's the proper thing to do. If the original owner gets upset about it, that's sad, but that's not the admins fault, nor the fault of the adopting owner.

In one thread somewhere recently, someone was talking about "how could someone place a cache and then not tend to it?" If you had asked me that question in April of 2001, I probably would have been as indignant as the next person. Then, in May of 2001, my father was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. For the next several months, any spare energy I had was geared toward trying to make his final weeks bearable, and tie up the loose ends of a lifetime. Honestly, if I had had any caches out there, I probably would have written a local cacher and begged them to take them on, because there is no way I could have kept track of them with all that was going on with dad.

Things happen. Sometimes, one's life can be turned completely upside down in the space of a single phone call. All you can do is the best you can do.

Shannah

quote:
Things happen. Sometimes, one's life can be turned completely upside down in the space of a single phone call. All you can do is the best you can do

There are times that life is way more important than caching. There are certainly valid reasons for people not to respond to cache problems for a significant time frame, and in a difficult situation an email reponse of 'I'll look into it' may be a half conscious thought. There's no intent to be lazy, just a life consumed with other things.

Which is why all the other comments made above are great. Take care of it. Clean it up. Leave a new log book. Throw wet things away, etc.

Wow! I wish I could worry that much! Maybe then my hairline (I’m 39ish) might not be in the same place it has since high school. (Less than two inches above the eyebrows) And maybe I’d be lucky enough to have one of them there ulcers too.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:

If [an abandoned cache] is in your area, put a "watch" on it and respond to any problems. You don't have to adopt it as we know sometimes that upsets the original cacher.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Here's what I don't get. I place a cache and basically don't care a whit whether it is cache or trash. I don't bother checking up on it at all, or placed it in another state and forgot about it.

Someone takes it upon themselves to fix it up, and asks to adopt it. My email has changed or I ignore them for whatever reason. The cache is adopted by requesting the web site.

I should be upset? Come on now. So is the opinion that someone who is lazy and/or irresponsible has the right to be mad when they essentially abandoned the cache?

It never ceases to amaze me when people jump on the band wagon to protect or appease those who aren't willing (or able, as the case may be) to do their part, as opposed to supporting the concerns and wishes of those who are actively participating and pulling their own weight.

I agree with Jeremy. If a person has had a reasonable opportunity to respond to a cache that needs attention, then they have no right to get upset over someone else stepping in to pick up their slack. End of story.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg