Lost Geocacher gets rescued, in the news

Dennaz1

My God that's funny.

The part I enjoyed the best was "Hurley said firefighters were concerned that Wood might fall waist deep into the marsh, get stuck and possibly lose his cell phone or GPS device before they got to him." - Yeah, cause it would be a shame if he lost his GPS device since it did him so much good.

quote:
Originally posted by rubber ducky:

I don't think Dennaz1 is the geocacher that got lost.

================================================

I think he is. Here is the cache page with his log and another link to the original news story.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Yeah, I saw that log. In the story, Timothy Woods, the lost geocacher, states he has found 16 caches in 20 attempts. Dennaz1 has logged only 3 finds, maybe he's just behind in his logs. But Dennaz1 doesn't state in either of his posts, here and on the cache page, that he's THE one. So how about Dennaz1, is it you?

Is this guy blonde? He had is car waypointed, it was in the parking coordinates! In the article it said that's how they found his car after they rescued him. This guy should stick to 1/1's until he gets a guide dog or develops a sense of direction.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

Notice that his "log" is a note, not a find or a DNF. Also notice his post for Spruce Maze..."I felt like I was walking in circles around it" That's a good clue!

REI has some nice personal locators for your next excursion!

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

[This message was edited by Woodbutcher68 on July 30, 2003 at 04:55 PM.]

If he parked where the cache description page said to, having a copy of the description page, should've been all he needed, assuming he knew how to enter a waypoint. Heck he may have already had the parking waypoint in his GPSr.

Either way, not posting a 'couldn't find it' on the log, just makes him a loser.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

I think there's more to this story than was reported. My guess is that being a marshy, river area there were a LOT of water obstacles and he simply couldn't get from point A to B. i.e. there may have been a lot of SWAMP and WATER between him and his car.

I ran into a similar problem looking for a cache in a SWAMP a year or so back. I had to follow a zig-zag course around inlets, small lakes and marsh on the way to the cache. On the way back I found I couldn't remember how I had negotiated the virutal maze between myself and the car. I had to coordinates to the parking spot but getting there proved to be very difficult.

To make matters worse my batteries were low and it was getting dark. I started to panic when I remembered the bread crumb trail on my unit and was able to turn off the map detail on the screen so the trail would show up better.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

I think there's more to this story than was reported. My guess is that being a marshy, river area there were a LOT of water obstacles and he simply couldn't get from point A to B. i.e. there may have been a lot of SWAMP and WATER between him and his car.

I ran into a similar problem looking for a cache in a SWAMP a year or so back. I had to follow a zig-zag course around inlets, small lakes and marsh on the way to the cache. On the way back I found I couldn't remember how I had negotiated the virutal maze between myself and the car. I had to coordinates to the parking spot but getting there proved to be very difficult.

To make matters worse my batteries were low and it was getting dark. I started to panic when I remembered the bread crumb trail on my unit and was able to turn off the map detail on the screen so the trail would show up better.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

You raise a good point. One of the things I have been doing is to purposefully veer off from my intended course after completing my cache hunt, then try to get back on track and follow my breadcrumb back to the car without looking for landmarks.

As long as the conditions remain the same, your trackback is a relatively safe way to get back. HOWEVER... We all know how fast conditions can change and doubling back on the breadcrumb may not always be right on the mark. You still have to use your navigating wits.

When darkness falls, this alone can change a perspective so much that if you are even close to being uncertain of your equipment, the best thing to do is to hold steady and call for help.

Cheers!

TL

I always thought soft terrain meant you left the good old fashioned breadcrumb trail of footprints icon_biggrin.gif

In this case however, had I been this individual, I think I would have just called home to let them know I was okay, then spend the miserable night in the swamp I deserved to spend there.

I still think their should be a big bill in this persons mailbox to cover the cost of the rescue.

i don't understand how it is possible that he didn't know where he was.

"He said I have no idea where I am except the (GPS) coordinates on a Web site."

Are you telling me that this guy was out geocaching in a swamp and did not even know how to read his current position? Thank goodness he's proficient at cell phone operation.

I feel bad for him but c'mon! Who are these people who think they can ignore common sense because they have a cell phone? Depending on technology to bail you out of a survival situation is asking for trouble. Suppose his cell phone didn't have any reception? Suppose the batteries went dead, or he dropped it and lost it? The bottom line is this guy made a mistake but got very lucky.

This is a good lesson for all of us to heed. Technology is only as good as the operator and old fashioned outdoor skills are still valuable to a modern-day explorer.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."

-- Plato

My two cents worth:

Having lived most of my life near the woods, I am intensly aware of how incredibly easy it is to get turned around and lost. When I first got my eTrex, I realized that it was hard to understand what it was trying to tell me. At first I used it to find places I already knew so that when I went to an unfamiliar location, I could understand how to get back. In other words I practiced with it, until I knew how to use it. That alone has helped me get out of some otherwise sticky situations.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

Will Durant

Hello All from Dennaz1, No, it was not me, I am a firefighter also, and one of the dispatchers is my girlfriend, if you read the newspaper article, she was familure with the web site because we geocache together. Thanks to all who knew it was not me, Good Luck.....

quote:
Originally posted by Dennaz1:

Hats off to the firefighters and dispatchers that save us. They are true heros.

http://www.gazettenet.com/07282003/news/7851.htm

This is great.....and I noticed I made the same mistake that I bet others have Made!!!

the quote is "that SAVE us." not "that SAVED us." I know when I first read it, I put a 'd' in there...it's NOT there, and it makes a world of difference. I know that I've relied on my "breadcrumb" feature to get me back to my bike/car/out of the woods quickly. As far as swamps...yes I've encountered them....Hey I can get dry clothes once i get home.

But on the other hand....If I know it's going to be an overnight situation, I'm prepared for it. I have almost everything I need except for cellphone, and considering that they don't work in 90% of the areas I am....why carry the weight.

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

When darkness falls, this alone can change a perspective so much...

Another good reason to only night-cache!

Grin,

Randy

PS: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a compass: a simple device that doesn't rely on batteries, coordinates, reception or illumination, permitting one to travel in a straight direction despite obstacles.

PPS: Now it occurs to me, with attendants along, it could be a good exercise to go out, hand over the GPS to your attendant, then try returning w/compass only...