Journalist looking for geocachers

Guest mhoes

Greetings, geocachers. I am a journalist trying to find out how people get into geocaching and why they love it so much. If you have some thoughts you'd like to share (or you just have a great story to tell), please e-mail your remarks to me for my article.

Thanks,

Michael

Guest TresOkies

Beware Markwell. Remember the hatchet job these guys did on our friends in SoCal. They have their own spin that they are going to put on the story no matter how positive you try to portray the sport. Get his views and find out how he plans to portray us before giving him anything for the record.

My opinion, of course.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest steveor

tleman recently visited a couple of my caches. Judging from the comments submitted I'm confident he has a positive impression of the sport/hobby/pastime, etc. He has asked my views of geocaching as well but I've just been too lazy to respond.

Guest tecmage

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

Beware Markwell. Remember the hatchet job these guys did on our friends in SoCal.

My opinion, of course.

-E

Hi,

We too got very positive press from the media here. Any good Journalist is going to deliver the story spin-free. We talked in advance, then went out to Geocache.

Richard

Guest demonofdisguise

yes, but look at what TGO magazine said- objective, but the writer clearly hated it.

------------------

Speak softly and carry a big stick

President Roosevelt

Guest fisherKings

Just like any business you have good and bad people...talk with them and use your own instincts to determine whether you want to do the story...or not...

I work as a newsphotographer in a top ten market and pitched a geocaching story..we aired it and it turned out completely positive...Now, thanks to the nice guys with the Georgia Geocachers Association who helped us out, my family and I head out to search for "treasure" (as my 4-year-old calls it)every chance we get.

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! I'de be gald to discuss geocaching. Go out as a family mostly on the weekends now as we have exhausted all the close caches. The PR would be great for seeing new people at our 2 cache sites. Perhaps more caches will pop up as well.

Also, I have a geocaching quilt project going. Right now blocks are being signed in 20 states and 6 countries. Roughly 1/4 of the 400 blocks that I sent out have been returned. Blocks have been placed in caches and have also turned up in geocaching events. It's been a great project and once all the blocks are returned I will piece the top and give the quilt to a person instrumental in the sport of geocaching.....To be decided on the quilting bee/cache thread where it was all started........

Just e-mail me...

DxChallenged

Guest steveor

quote:
Originally posted by mhoes:

While it's true that I am a hatchet man at heart, I usually reserve that treatment for federal officials.

M.

Hmmm. Being that I'm a Fed, maybe I'll have to reassess my opinion (joke).

Guest RoanokeTVGuy

Hey guys... I'm a reporter for a local television station, and I'm considering doing a story on the explosion of geocaching in our area. Of course, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, we have a lot of day-hikers in the area, and people are always looking for things to do... I've floated the idea to our assignment editor, and he was enthusiastic about the story.

However, one question: Should I take any special precautions to preserve the integrity of hiding the cache I use for the story? I've just put out my first cache and am considering using that, but due to the visibility it might be easily identified by non-interested parties, and/or spoil the hide for other geocachers.

Anyway, tell me what you think. I'm taking the angle that pretty much anybody can do it of any age. So if there are any older or younger geocachers who want to be on camera, drop me a line!