Would you relocate this cache if it were yours... mosquitos...

After reading the 1st three logs to a cache I've placed, I am considering relocating it.

All three logs in the Kensington Runestone Cache not only mention mosquitos, they emphasize the ferocity of these pesky creatures.

The cache isn't more than 40 - 60 feet off the trail and the ground cover isn't extremely thick, but the canopy is dense. I spent a lot of time trying to locate an area void of poison ivy and a higher area that may get some breeze. I also took time in getting good coordinates as the cover is very dense. The day I placed the cache there was a slight breeze and the bugs were very mild. This July 4th weekend the weather here was very humid, very still and very hot. I can imagine the bugs were HORRIBLE!

My question is, I do have another alternate location in this same park, should I relocate the cache so soon after it's 1st finds? My alternate location would be less buggy and easier to find as the canopy is orders of magnitude less dense.

My main concern is the 1st find posts scaring off traffic from an otherwise good caching park. What do you think?

icon_confused.gif

P.S. I guess there is a reason I've added a mosquito head net to my geocaching backpack! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Us 5 Camp on July 09, 2002 at 07:26 AM.]

Naah, don't move it. We wouldn't have any geocaches in MN in the summer if we moved them all because of skeeters. Unless, of course, your GPS works inside the Mall of America. icon_biggrin.gif

I hunted two caches over the long weekend. In both cases, the skeeters were fierce. I think they're just going through a peak right now.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

All part of the game! I have a full-body mosquito net I carry in my geocaching backpack. I also use deet (Deep Woods off) when appropriate.

I find the cache, find a fairly clear spot on the ground, sit down with the cache and throw the net over me. I then leisurely read the log books, do my trading, take my trophy, etc.

THe camo net (from Army Surplus online) has been a great addition to my geocaching bag of tricks. There's nothing like being somewhat comefortable and relaxed (instead of worrying about the gathering skeeters and ticks) while you take your time and really indulge in a cache site.

Also, although it has never yet been a factor, if someone were to come up on me, the camo might help a little!

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

I wouldn't move it. I have one cache where the inital finders complained about swarms of mosquitos. Recent finders had no such complaints, nor did I have a big problem when I placed it. Its usually a seasonal thing, dependent on the amount of recent rainfall.

Just place a warning on your cache page about the presence of mosquitos in some seasons.

I recommend leaving the cache. You may consider changing the difficult with the changing seasons. The difficulty would have to do with the foliage as well as the insect population.

If as you say your concern is scaring off traffic from an otherwise good caching park, then be sure to post only caches that can honestly be rated 1/1 only.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

majicman, I'm having some trouble telling when you are kidding.

My wife says, if my lips are moving, then I'm lying (or joking...)

I guess if you can't tell when I'm joking, either my jokes or too serious, or my seriousness has some humour in it...

Either way, it makes me happy!

P.S. I was "serious" about the skeeter net, it works well.

Maybe from now on, when I am being serious, I'll write it this way:

--Serious comment--

...This is the text...

--End of Serious comment--

(It is so rare that I am serious in here, it won't happen very often!)

Actually, I always use the Winky icon_wink.gif as my "I'm just being funny or silly" comment message icon, and I use the "smiley" icon_smile.gif when I am serious.

I rarely use the "smiley" because I am rarely serious. My wife says I am far worse at home (about trying to be funny,) but, then again, she is never bored!

Sorry about my attempts to be: jocular, jocose, humorous; facetious, waggish, whimsical, witty and / or didactic.

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

SBell111,

Thanks, (See the smiley but not winkey happy face - this one is a serious post...)

I would actually post many more "serious" comments in here, but I find that most of the threads need an injection of humor more that they do better information. I occasionally (read - rarely) have something of value (IMHO) to add and when I do, I say it (like the skeeter net) (and I use the happy face.)

Much more often, I see an opportunity for an attempt (feeble, sometimes) to inject some humor or to use sarcastic humor (my favorite) to drive home my own personal feeling on the matter (like my "Stump Remover" cache idea, which I personally think is a classic and one of my most funnierest and bestest...)

OK, sorry for dragging another thread down my own personal home street, so I'll back out of this one (until I can make it more funier...)

--majicman

As the first finder of the cache and thus the first complainer about the bugs let me clarify. I always reserve the right to complain about the bugs. However the cache was great; good contents and a nice find for the 7 year old. We cache in the bugs home anyway. Maybe next time you could place a cache in our sreeen porch. Or maybe not.

I don't think it's necessary to move this cache. I went to 4 caches this week and all had extremely bad mosquitos. I live in MN and right now it's just baout the worst time for those dumb little mosquitoes. It's the middle of the summer and it's been raining alot...mosquito hatching time. Leave it there...mosquitoes are what summer geocaching in MN is all about. icon_wink.gif

It's a good thing you didn't relocate this...I'm going to be going to it tommorrow icon_smile.gif . With the right protection, mosquitoes aren't that bad. I just went to a few caches earlier this week where the mosquitoes were really terriable. I didn't think that it made the geocaching any less enjoyable, however. It just meant that you had to make a quick log, exchange items, and try to get away from the mosquitoes quickly.

quote:
Originally posted by BobLog:

If somebody get west nile or malarea from a mosqito bite by your cach an he die, you will feel very bad. you must move this.

Bob )robert) Loggertl

Trolling in this thread too, huh Bob?

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

---------------------------------------

Most of the caches in my area are overrun by skeeters this time of year. If the cache owner hasn't already put a warning about "bug repellant might be a good idea..." then some finder has added it to a log.

It's just part of caching this time of year, along with "bring water to drink" and "don't feed your small children to the alligators".

quote:
Originally posted by Rye_and_Leigh:

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

Trolling in this thread too, huh Bob?

Perhaps James got sick of his reputation and has created a new username. James = Bob? Who's building the troll-poll?

I love a good TROLL! Some of my best rantings and ravings in here have been at the instigation on these wonderful, magical, and faerie-like creatures!

Let's have MORE TROLLS! (Or at least a drawerful of sock-puppets!)

--majicman

Well, I think the best way to kill anything that has been bothering you and just won't leave you alone. Is to take a picture of my father "Majicman", hold it up to whatever it is that your trying to kill and that should take care of the problem. It works for me anyway!

Mommy#1

Meet STITCH, GEOSTITCH "there's one in every family".

See my June 27 log for Fort DuPont. They kept me away from one step of a multi-cache, but thanks to a tip from some other cachers I'd met on the trail, I was able to bypass it.

'''I wonder what Latitude or Longitude I've got to?' (Alice had no idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either, but thought they were nice grand words to say.)'' -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I would not move it. Last week I was at several caches here in southern Oregon and was surrounded by mosquitoes. The last cache of the day was found at 9:30PM and I had sprayed myself with Muskol DEET repellant quite heavily. The bugs just found every place that I had missed. Mosquitoes and other insects are just part of the summer months. They are most active at dawn and at dusk, especially when you are carrying around a bright flashlight to attract them even more. Just spray down with repellant. The insect suit that was mentioned sounds like a very good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

All part of the game! I have a full-body mosquito net I carry in my geocaching backpack. I also use deet (Deep Woods off) when appropriate.

I find the cache, find a fairly clear spot on the ground, sit down with the cache and throw the net over me. I then leisurely read the log books, do my trading, take my trophy, etc.

THe camo net (from Army Surplus online) has been a great addition to my geocaching bag of tricks. There's nothing like being somewhat comefortable and relaxed (instead of worrying about the gathering skeeters and ticks) while you take your time and really indulge in a cache site.

Also, although it has never yet been a factor, if someone were to come up on me, the camo might help a little!

--majicman

majicman,

I NEED one of these camo nets. Please post the link, if you still have it. Thanks. pkpaul.

Would you move a cache if you discovered it was guarded by poison ivy? I placed some caches the other day and didn't see any, but evidently there was some poison ivy, because I have broken out. One of the people who found one of the caches noticed some. I don't know how much is there. Anyway, should I move the cache, post a warning, or what?

quote:
Originally posted by pkpaul: majicman,

I NEED one of these camo nets. Please post the link, if you still have it. Thanks. pkpaul.

This is good: http://majorsurplusnsurvival.com/cgi/webc.cgi/store/st_prod.html?p_prodid=818391&sid=8NxGfR0WNAIh0Xzn

OR:

Goto: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Search for: Swiss Army Individual Camo Netting

--majicman

As far as poison ivy goes you can leave the cache there, as the poison ivy probably isn't there all year long, but definetly post a note on the cache page telling people about the poison ivy. I'm allergic to poison ivy and get it extremely bad even if I barely touch it, and I hate it when I go to cache, where no one has mentioned poison ivy in the description or logs, and there's a huge patch of it around the cache. Please people, make a note of any things like poison ivy or mosquitoes on the cache page if there at any time of the year be some there.

quote:
Originally posted by nyisutter:

Would you move a cache if you discovered it was guarded by poison ivy? I placed some caches the other day and didn't see any, but evidently there was some poison ivy, because I have broken out. One of the people who found one of the caches noticed some. I don't know how much is there. Anyway, should I move the cache, post a warning, or what?

There's none around the cache posted on the original question. I took great care in locating an area with relatively little poison ivy. If you approach the cache from the direction of "least bushwacking" the area is clear of PI. There is PI in other locations in this park.

To me, mosquitos and a discrete cache location often can't be avoided. Poison Ivy on the other hand is a real pain in the A_s!

For me and my house, we'll keep any future caches out of the poison ivy and we WOULD move a cache if we found out it was heavily guarded by the nasty weed.

We've skipped at least one cache because of PI.

Your mileage may vary.... icon_wink.gif

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

When someone told me my cache was by PI I posted a warning on the cache page in bold. The next day the guy who went came down with PI and posted an update on my cache page. That was June 23rd. No one's been there since! icon_eek.gif

I could move it but I'm lazy. Well, I guess people might start going again next winter when the PI will be dead or just about. I'll wait.

The funny thing is when I posted how I got bit by a Lyme infected tick by a cache, no one paid attention. They just kept going. Go figure?

Alan

Poison Ivy is no problem for me since I started carrying a personal sized spray-can of napalm with me. It helps to have a respirator too, though, since I hear the PI fumes can really do a number on your lungs.

The only problem I have is when the cache wasn't hidden in an ammo can...boy that napalm sure melts the heck out of tupperware. icon_frown.gif