Cache content suggestion

dteec

Whenever I go caching I take my wife and 4-yr-old. Usually my son comes away from the cache with a toy and occasionally I may trade for something but my wife has yet to take anything from a cache. Her complaint is that nobody puts "mom stuff" in their caches.

So, I would just like to suggest that we think of those female cachers icon_wink.gif out there when building a cache or leaving articles in a cache. Thanks.

dteec

quote:
Originally posted by dteec:

Whenever I go caching I take my wife and 4-yr-old. Usually my son comes away from the cache with a toy and occasionally I may trade for something but my wife has yet to take anything from a cache. Her complaint is that nobody puts "mom stuff" in their caches.

Have your wife define "mom stuff" for us. After raising five children, I think of "mom stuff" as things stained with baby spit-up, crayon-marked walls, half-eaten baloney sandwiches, and anything covered with sticky fingerprints.

My most recent "takes" were a Pez container, a Matchbox ambulance, a state road map, and a ring. I gues the ring might be "mom stuff"; if so, is the map "dad stuff" and the rest "kid stuff"?

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Being the royal geocacher for the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I, I have brought items to my liege such as a shell necklace found in one of the caches that I explored. Alas, she refused the gift. Now, I am stuck with a necklace that I could recycle, but dread the idea of dumping something that no one else wants in another cache.

Need Mom things in caches, but Moms tend to be picky and we could easily wind up turning our game into Geolandfill by filling up cache boxes with undesirable Mom things. What to do now?

We've been able to snag a few "mom" things from a particular cacher here in the Orlando area. First we got a citrus peeler (from Pampered Chef). Then we got a mini-coffee scoop where the handle is the shape of a tea pot. We had our choice of green, blue or red. We took the green one. My wife uses both of these items to this day!

One of the concerns here is putting anything "smelly" in a cache that might attract animals. A previous thread mentioned finding bath salts in an ammo can, and the can was COVERED with ants! Apparently they could smell the bath salts through the ammo can. Besides, that person took the bath salts home to his wife, who didn't want to use anything from a cache box.

Now, from a "mom" point of view... I like nifty keychains.. (not the advertising ones that are flat plastic.. something creative!) We have collected quite a few from our caching experiences! We did hang them from our geocaching backpack, but it was really noisy.. clattering and clanking as we walked through the woods and parks. Mostly, the kids pick out a couple of things they want, and I just watch the fun. I do like looking through the "loot", though.. it's just like a treasure hunt or Christmas!

I don't know what the original mom had in mind, but since I'm a mom, I'll chime in with what I'd like to find.

Cool kitchen gadgets are nice. I got a neat thing from "Yellowstone Park" that looked like it was an egg separator. It might also be a mini funnel. icon_smile.gif It would also be fun to receive a zester, lemon juicer, swizzle sticks, shish kebab skewers, corn cob holders, cheese knife, etc.

Cool gardening gadgets are nice. I could really use a roll of gardening twine. Small plant identification stakes would be handy. Packets of seeds are very good. A little kit consisting of a peat pot and some seeds, especially if contained in a small clay pot, would be a really nice find. A pair of gardening gloves is helpful.

I don't know how many other Geocachers like to do needlework, so this might be a dumb suggestion, but I personally would love to find things like packages of needles, needle threaders, 100% cotton thread, embroidery thread, cool buttons, thimbles, pincushions, etc. I have been leaving 100% cotton quilting fabric, and it has been pretty well-received. I'd *love* to receive premade quilt squares, but I doubt anyone would want to put that much work into it!

I hope more people will contribute to this thread so that I can guage how closely my ideas match those of other cachers - I might just expand my repertoire from puzzles/games/toys/fabric into other areas.

Shannah

My BIL is a vet and my Sis is a vet tech. They've decided that when they start caching (we just learned about it last week), that they're gonna leave SNiP coupons. It stands for Spay/Neuter Program, and they're coupons for really good discounts at area vets for getting pets fixed.

Not exactly a "Mom" item, but if it keeps Mom from having to take care of an unexpected litter of pups or kittens, I would think it would be worth its weight in gold to her.

Geocaching by day...hockey at night!

Life is good icon_biggrin.gif

Stitches,

I am a kitchen gadget freak as well. I was thinking of hiding a kitchen gadget cache with a twist. It would have a variety of kitchen gadgets in it, but also in the logs, people could leave requests for what they may be looking for. If a person has one of the needed items, they can post it to the cache and the person who wanted it would be able to return to the cache to retrieve the item.

Hopefully this would help people out as well as keeping a well rotated stock of items in the cache.

M-D-M Explorations

MrSki and DogMa

40º 07.874'N

88º 11.647'W

Stargazer,

Again, I have been thinking of placing a cache with store coupons of all types (groceries, fast food, automotive, etc...) Seems you always have more than you need while others could possibly use them. We would need to clean it out regularly for outdated coupons. But I think it would be an interesting trade item in an urban area. May have to think about this some more.

M-D-M Explorations

MrSki and DogMa

40º 07.874'N

88º 11.647'W

quote:
Originally posted by stargazer21:

My BIL is a vet and my Sis is a vet tech. They've decided that when they start caching (we just learned about it last week), that they're gonna leave SNiP coupons. It stands for Spay/Neuter Program, and they're coupons for really good discounts at area vets for getting pets fixed.

Not exactly a "Mom" item...

More of an "Un-Mom" cache idea.

Stargazer21... that's a great idea! I was a vet tech for 12 years... I'd come looking for your coupons if you were a wee bit closer ;-)

Shannon you've got some great ideas too... I'd go for most of that stuff too.

I have about as much fun shopping for cache goodies as I do finding them.

Dteec maybe that's the ticket. Have her go shopping for cacheables so that she gets into it a bit more and shows you and the local cachers the kinds of stuff she'd like to find.

I try to stock my caches with something for everybody. Jewelry, fridge magnets, sewing kits, travel packs of baby wipes, recipe cards and the like are often in my caches, and may interest women. But being a guy and kid at heart, most of the stuff I put in caches are things that I'd like to find, or things that I don't want, but think other people would like to find.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 22, 2002 at 01:54 AM.]

Following are some of the items that I've put into caches that moms might like:

- Mini cross stitch kits

- lace or crocheted doilies

- books

- measuring spoon set

- folding can opener

- refrigerator magnets

- a puzzle postcard

- plant pot decorators

- mini picture frames

- travelers pack of Q-Tips

I've also put some items that dads might like:

- padlocks

- keychains

- utility knives or mini multi-tools

- screwdriver kit

- tape measures

- mini flashlights

And of course, I trade a lot of kiddie type items...because I'm still a kid at heart. icon_wink.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I just started, and I have been making a point to leave "girlie" stuff in the caches. Batteries for my gps are useful and nice, but there's only so many batteries you need at once, you know? icon_wink.gif

I recently found a nice girlie-cache: a poofy bath scrubbie, a packet of bubble bath, nice smelling soap, a sewing kit, and a little make-up bag were some of the things in it that made me perk up. My husband thought it was a boring cache, but it was my idea of a score! And there were no bugs that noticed the smelly-bath stuff, but the person that left it made sure it was well wrapped in baggies, so maybe that helped?

Some suggestions:

Clear nail polish

Nylons

Sewing patterns

knitting yarns and needles

packages of beads

lip balm

hand lotion

Just some ideas...

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

is the map "dad stuff" ?

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

no, the map would be "wife stuff" unless it is somehow electronic as explained here.

men do not need directions, we already know how to get "there" even though we sometimes choose to take the "scenic" route. therefor by that principal the map is "wife stuff" by virtue of the fact that wives, (or any woman present for that matter) will try to get the male to seek navigational aid. if the map is somehow electronic however, it falls under the "gadget" clause making it an acceptable male item. this is the clause that states:

"any item that would be normaly unacceptable for male use ie. maps, any type of hand bag etc. shall be deemed acceptable if said item contains electronic equipment to aid in its use and therefore strikes the technocuriosity of the male." for instance, take a purse. a distinctly female accessory, add a built in PDA and a dome light (book light). it becomes an organizational carryall, perfectly acceptable for male use. hehehe what the world needs now is more gadgets...

quote:
Originally posted by vash the stampede:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

is the map "dad stuff" ?

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

no, the map would be "wife stuff" unless it is somehow electronic as explained here.

Topo maps are definately a guy thing.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

Yeah, all those altitude markings that show how tall the...erm..mountains are. Just watch out for the numbers that have been whited out and written in larger. icon_wink.gif

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

quote:
Originally posted by evilrooster:

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

Yeah, all those _altitude_ markings that show how _tall_ the...erm.._mountains_ are. Just watch out for the numbers that have been whited out and written in larger. icon_wink.gif

_evilrooster_

Shh your giving away my secrets....I've gotta make my outa shape arse look good somehow icon_biggrin.gif

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

More seriously, I tend to leave earrings in microcaches. You can get multiple sets of stud earrings (each pair smaller than a coin) in costume jewelry shops for virtually nothing, or even silver ones if you wait for sales or buy from street vendors. Hook one stud through the back of the other, put the back on the first earring, and they'll stay together in the caches.

Small, cheap, attractive, girly. icon_biggrin.gif

evilrooster