Geocache/Metal Detecting

Guest Captain Leno

Guest Captain Leno

I recently placed a CACHE with a Bonus for folks with metal detectors..

Basically, if you find the CACHE then you can get a clue from the CACHE as to the whereabouts of a few silver coins planted near by...

I am thinking of going one step further and making a Detector Only CACHE...

First one would have to find the general area with there GPS and then start swinging the coil on the ground to find a buried CACHE.

Maybe I will put a marker of sorts on the surface, then have a CACHE somewhere in a 50 foot or so radius using some sort of metal box so Only the detectorist could find it...

Then instruct the finder to re-bury the cache somewhere in the general vicinty within the same boundery of the Surface marker,,,

My question is, I know some of you out there must be detectorist, right ? I hope..

Would you go for such a CACHE if it were in your area ???????

I would be careful doing this unless it's on private land, with permission from the owner. Most if not all state and national parks have strict rules against digging, and some even prohibit or regulate the use of metal detectors...

Scott

Guest Captain Leno

The Laws on Metal Detecting in State Parks Vary from state to state..

And in my area, it is LEGAL in the County and City Parks as long as you follow some Common Sense guidelines...

I have been metal detecting for MANY YEARS and don't take it LIGHTLY..

And Rest Assure, If I SEED a hunt, it will be in the UTMOST legal WAY...

SOOOO with that said, I do not wish to turn this into a discussion on the legalities of the idea, I KNOW THE LEGALITIES and will abide by the Law....

I am just looking for a little FEEDBACK on the Concept .......

Guest Nostromo

Not to beat you over the head with it, but...

I live near Appomattox National Park. (Where North & South met to end the Civil War). You bring a metal detector on that land, they will take it and anything you found, then go to your house and take anything THEY find. I used to have a White's Spectrum, and I used to have a lot of time for TH'ing. And, no, I didn't learn that lesson the hard way - no Federal officials took my detector. I traded it for a pinball machine. I'd like to say I traded the pinball machine for a GPS, as that would make a good story, but life is not that way.

Anyway, glad to see other TH'ers on the list. I can borrow my buddy's metal detector anytime, and I hope to get a chance to visit one of your caches. I think you've got a great idea, and it will add another dimension to the sport. My 2 cents.

Guest Richard Amirault

Hmmm, interesting. What would you use for a container, metal ammo box? or .. ?

How would you disguise the hole? Seems like you would either have to have *plain* dirt (no grass) or sand. I know there are ways, and tools to minimise the effects of digging up metal dectector "finds" but not everyone either knows how or wants to bother with being neat.

Richard in Boston

Guest Captain Leno

Well, I don't think anyone will "RUN OUT" and buy a detector just to find my Cache's..

So I think for the most part, I will atract Metal detector people who also enjoy this hobby as well.....

Most people with detectors are pretty good at hiding their tracks, or at least should be...

I don't know, it is really just a thought..

I will have to think on it some more....

Guest undertkr

Hi, I just got into the GPS game... I have been MD'ing for several years...just sold my White's XLT last week...this area, Salem, MA, has pretty much made Th'ing CRIMINAL! All state parks are now off limit, and many of the beaches are since they are state parks! We all know about Federal land... It was too much of a hassle and did not want to go to jail... This also sounds like fun, great exercise and hopefully, it will be around for some time.

Guest chachee

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Leno:

Basically, if you find the CACHE then you can get a clue from the CACHE as to the whereabouts of a few silver coins planted near by...

First one would have to find the general area with there GPS and then start swinging the coil on the ground to find a buried CACHE.

Maybe I will put a marker of sorts on the surface, then have a CACHE somewhere in a 50 foot or so radius using some sort of metal box so Only the detectorist could find it...

Then instruct the finder to re-bury the cache somewhere in the general vicinty within the same boundery of the Surface marker,,,

My question is, I know some of you out there must be detectorist, right ? I hope..

Would you go for such a CACHE if it were in your area ???????

Sounds good to me as my main hobby is Metal Detecting. If I set up a cache, this is the way I would do it (as a bonus). I would also go for a detector only cache. Some may object if they do not have a MD or just not partake.

------------------

Originally posted by Captain Leno:

Great fun - see my dated 02/16/01. The idea is great and I use it for practice and refining my detector and usage of the GPS III plus.

c.fred

Guest Richard Amirault

"...to the whereabouts of a few silver coins planted near by..."

What happens if the first finder gets *all* the coins? Or the first few finders?

I dunno... it may make it more attractive for only the first few folks to find it. I suppose if you want to go to the trouble, but that tactic doesn't seem to be a lasting attraction.

Richard in Boston

Guest bunkerdave

I am interested in doing one of these. We have lots of desert area nearby, where, if legal, this would be perfect. What does a metal detector cost that would do the trick?

Guest Latrom

Keep in mind that metal detectors and GPSs both tend to be novelty items for many people and it's somewhat unlikely for someone to own both of these items to make such a stash hunt successful. The metal detector cache sounds great in theory but unless you live in a heavily populated area, plan on it taking a very long time before someone out there actually finds your stash.

[This message has been edited by Latrom (edited 21 May 2001).]

Guest Weedhopper

There are small,compact lightweight metal detector kits that you can buy and put together in an hour or two--these might be suitable for hiking and backpacking, but only if the cache is very close to the surface or large enuf (or ON the surface like maybe...um...a FAKE TREE STUMP with metal inside it ;-) )

Go for it, Cap'n !

Guest Weedhopper

There are some small metal detector kits that can be purchased for 10-15 bux and assembled in a couple hours. They are small enough to take hiking and backpacking and probably good enuf to locate something close to the surface or fairly large if deeper.

Or maybe it will be above the ground such as a ...er..um..FAKE TREE STUMP or something ;-)

Go for it, Cap'n !