Had to share this one

but he's linking to the http info of the pic... (http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2002365680530.gif)

i thought the supreme court was hearing a case about "direct linking" soon- basically, since the image is still hosted at 'dilbert.com' and is an 'open' page (ie: being viewed by visiting...)

can it be linked to/shown by link

i think the 'jury' is still out (ie: does it bypass ad-revenues that allow it to be 'shown' for free)

fwiw- if dilbert.com cared, they can "turn-off" remote linking.

quote:

Makes sense to me. Sorry about getting serious over something so funny. icon_biggrin.gif

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

quote:

Makes sense to me. Sorry about getting serious over something so funny. icon_biggrin.gif

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

If there is a problem with the whole copyright thing shouldn't every one of us who has a Dilbert, Garfield, Love is, Bloom County (Man I miss them), Peanuts, Ziggy, or any other comic strip we love to quote posted on our cubicle,File cabniet, Fridge door, Notebook, or anywhere else we like to stick them for others to share, should be taken down and the offender spanked thoroughly.

Have a nice day.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include-

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

As I consider these boards an educational forum (1) and I may just go out and buy a Dilbert compilation (4), I doubt that we have violated the Copyright Law !!