Sucking the fun out of geocaching

FLeghorn

Something has been irking me as of late and I feel I must get it off my chest. I would appreciate your comments and open discussion on this matter. With luck, your comments will assist in restoring my enjoyment of this activity.

There are a few cachers in our area who feel the need to express their superiority by detailing how easy it was for them to locate a cache. Of late, many logs state that they have XXX finds so did not require a gps to locate the cache. Or since they have XXX finds, they were able to quickly locate the cache. I understand their competitive nature and applaud the high found rate, however, I feel this chest thumping type of comment belittles those who are just starting in this hobby. Also, would this not be discouraging for the hider of the cache?

A few days ago the group of cachers who have been participating in this "I'm better than you are" activity crossed the line as far as I am concerned by changing the coordinates in a multicache without consulting the hider.

I know I should suck it up and not let such trivialities rankle me, but it does. I also know that if reading the logs bothers me then I should not read the logs. Trust me, this is is much easier said than done as I have tried. I am addited. I MUST read the logs. ALL logs. Even those in places I can only dream of visiting.

Thank you for letting me get this off my large feathered chest.

Pay attention to me, boy! I'm not just talking to hear my head roar! - Foghorn Leghorn

I get one of those every once in a while, & I just ignore them. I got one recently that said the difficulty rating should have been higher. I just figure, if he's 60 yrs. old, it was probably a little more difficult for him than it was for a 20 yr. old. Out of the roughly 40 other cachers that logged the cache, he's the only one that had a problem. Take it with a grain of salt. Just like the guy that logged another one of my caches, & said the co-ordinates were off by 70 ft.

The 60 other folks that logged it had no problem at all, most stating that the numbers were right there. Go figure. icon_confused.gif

"Gimpy"

I get one of those every once in a while, & I just ignore them. I got one recently that said the difficulty rating should have been higher. I just figure, if he's 60 yrs. old, it was probably a little more difficult for him than it was for a 20 yr. old. Out of the roughly 40 other cachers that logged the cache, he's the only one that had a problem. Take it with a grain of salt. Just like the guy that logged another one of my caches, & said the co-ordinates were off by 70 ft.

The 60 other folks that logged it had no problem at all, most stating that the numbers were right there. Go figure. icon_confused.gif

"Gimpy"

"Gimpy"

If someone mentions that the cache was an "easy find" or they "found it quickly", I don't see that as bragging. It's just a statement of fact. Many of my logs say just that, simply because it was an easy find, or I found it quickly. The experience gained as I find more caches, makes the next one even easier. That's simple fact of life.

Experienced Geocachers often mention a "cache sense". As a neophyte, I didn't understand what that was. I thought I had hidden a cache cleverly, yet the finder would mention how they spotted the hiding place right away. After a while, I found out exactly what they were talking about.

Just because someone has yet to develop that cache sense, or a cache that stumped them was found easily by someone else doesn't mean they're inferior. It happens to me all the time. If it made me think any less of myself, I'd have quit this sport a long time ago.

Once in a while, a cache will still stymie me and I'll mention that fact in the log as well. It just happens less often these days.

Now, as far as the Geocachers changing coordinates without the owner's permission, that's just plain wrong.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 18, 2002 at 03:48 AM.]

From your profile:

quote:
I have been participating in geocaching since the summer of 2001 but have not recorded my visits on this website as I did not comprehend the

significance of a high found count. I now realize that the greater the number of finds, the higher ones standing in society.

I've ocassionally found entries in the logbooks of my caches from people who were not entering their finds on the website. I often wondered why someone would do this.

The point of entering your finds on the website is not (at least to most of us) to increase your "standing in society". It is simply a courtesy. By entering your find on the site, you're letting the cache owner know:

1. The cache is still there

2. That people are finding it

3. That people appreciate its placement

4. The condition of the cache

Your log entries also serve to let the cache owner know if the ratings for terrain and difficulty are accurate. If the owner starts seeing a lot of "not founds" for a 1 star difficulty or a lot of "easy finds" for a 3 star difficulty cache, the owner knows to adjust the rating.

Furthermore, the experiences described in your log entry may help another Geocacher decide whether or not he/she wants to look for that cache.

Lastly, as a cache owner, I enjoy reading the accounts of the finders. When I check my e-mail each day I eagerly look for the "xxxx found your cache" messages. I'm sure most cache owners feel the same.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Lastly, as a cache owner, I enjoy reading the accounts of the finders. When I check my e-mail each day I eagerly look for the "xxxx found your cache" messages. I'm sure most cache owners feel the same.

Every cache hider feels this. Even if you place a cache that is extremely difficult you don't get that sense of satisfaction until someone finds.

I would encourage everyone to log their finds online. If you don't care about counts or feel negativly about them just log a note telling about your visit. It will still be read.

Most hiders will read the logs at the site during maintenance but I think it's more fun and more immediate to see them online. Beyond that I second all the points BrianSnat made.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

When I post that it was an easy find it is not a pat on my own back, but a pat on the back of my trusty Garmin! Or my friend's trusty Garmin. Except for one where the coordinates were off by 100 feet, and later corrected, and one that was in a gorge, and one that was a multi-cache we left the cache page for at home, we have been right on the money with the Legends, or pretty darn close. I consider a search of 10 minutes or less an easy find.

And I also look forward to reading the e-mails from finders. I wouldn't mind meeting some of these people. icon_smile.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

When I post that it was an easy find it is not a pat on my own back, but a pat on the back of my trusty Garmin! Or my friend's trusty Garmin. Except for one where the coordinates were off by 100 feet, and later corrected, and one that was in a gorge, and one that was a multi-cache we left the cache page for at home, we have been right on the money with the Legends, or pretty darn close. I consider a search of 10 minutes or less an easy find.

And I also look forward to reading the e-mails from finders. I wouldn't mind meeting some of these people. icon_smile.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

I too can't understand why someone would not log a find... isn't that an essential part of the shared experience... to me it says: "Hey there: found your cache. Thanks for taking the trouble to play!"

As for the: "It was an easy find." I'm not sure that in most cases this too is a sort of message to the cacher saying: "coordinates were right on!" I've added that to several finds and it certainly is never intended as a sort of put down as in: "boy are you a simpleton. Can't even set a challenge." I mean, isn't there a rating system for caches? An easy find entry might be considered judgemental if the cacher had rated it as a five star and the finder comes back with a: "Hey buddy, you're way off. This was a one in my book." And frankly, I haven't read too many of those postings.

Advice... don't let it get to you mately. Try to ignore any posturing and be happy in the knowledge that the community at large feels the way you do... This is fun!!!

Take care

Happy Caching!

I've got a few finds under my belt and I still get stumpped on 1/1's sometimes. If it's an easy find it and easy find and there is nothing wrong with saying so. The comment is generally directed toward the cache hider, not other finders. I sincerly doubt the comments were directed toward you.

One of the reasons experienced cachers can find them quicker is because they don't limit their search area. Newer cachers have a tendency to expect the cache to be REALLY close to the zero point (3-7 ft) and thus never find the cache. An veteran cacher looks at the whole area and thinks, "It's probablly over there."

george

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

Of course, it could really be that this person IS good at reading terrain, guessing hiding places... etc. There are some like that. And you could consider it a challenge to stump that person. Set up a cache where they need to contact you for some critical part of the puzzle. Make it something date-sensitive, and ask them what day they will search. Then wait.... see if they log it in a day, or a week, or a month... or at all... or log a not-found.

BUT.....

My partner at work always says "When you can't do much, you do what you can". People (some people) need to feel as though they are accomplishing something. Something that others cannot do or have difficulty doing. When you do something truly difficult, the previous and lesser things fall to the wayside. And most future lesser things fall to the wayside too.

For instance... I know the high-point of my life was 11 years ago, leading dedicated soldiers into ground combat. I retired from the army 7 years ago, and now have a better-paying (which one isn't) job than the army, with less responsibility, and much less danger. I have nothing to prove here, it is just a job. Likewise, I feel no need to compete geocaching. Since it is no longer obvious, I have found 5 and hid 2.... if anyone cares. I also do not hunt anymore. Anyone read Kippling? Then you understand.

What I am saying is, once this person accomplishes something bigger, this geocaching thing may fall to the wayside too. Or maybe they are really THAT GOOD, and THAT COMPETITIVE. For myself, if they are having fun, and not hurting anyone else, I am happy my cache provided that safe easy fun. I am trying to come up with an idea for a multi-part cache about the Lost Padre Mine. That should provide some fun.

I hope you find a way to let your feelings go and not spoil your enjoyment of the sport-hobby-game-????

Have a great day.

icon_cool.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

Of course, it could really be that this person IS good at reading terrain, guessing hiding places... etc. There are some like that. And you could consider it a challenge to stump that person. Set up a cache where they need to contact you for some critical part of the puzzle. Make it something date-sensitive, and ask them what day they will search. Then wait.... see if they log it in a day, or a week, or a month... or at all... or log a not-found.

BUT.....

My partner at work always says "When you can't do much, you do what you can". People (some people) need to feel as though they are accomplishing something. Something that others cannot do or have difficulty doing. When you do something truly difficult, the previous and lesser things fall to the wayside. And most future lesser things fall to the wayside too.

For instance... I know the high-point of my life was 11 years ago, leading dedicated soldiers into ground combat. I retired from the army 7 years ago, and now have a better-paying (which one isn't) job than the army, with less responsibility, and much less danger. I have nothing to prove here, it is just a job. Likewise, I feel no need to compete geocaching. Since it is no longer obvious, I have found 5 and hid 2.... if anyone cares. I also do not hunt anymore. Anyone read Kippling? Then you understand.

What I am saying is, once this person accomplishes something bigger, this geocaching thing may fall to the wayside too. Or maybe they are really THAT GOOD, and THAT COMPETITIVE. For myself, if they are having fun, and not hurting anyone else, I am happy my cache provided that safe easy fun. I am trying to come up with an idea for a multi-part cache about the Lost Padre Mine. That should provide some fun.

I hope you find a way to let your feelings go and not spoil your enjoyment of the sport-hobby-game-????

Have a great day.

icon_cool.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

quote:
Originally posted by Foghorn Leghorn:

There are a few cachers in our area who feel the need to express their superiority by detailing how easy it was for them to locate a cache. Of late, many logs state that they have XXX finds so did not require a gps to locate the cache. Or since they have XXX finds, they were able to quickly locate the cache.

Yeah, that does sound a little bit cocky... but, to me, it just shows me that they have insecurities about something else, so they have to be boastful about the things that they ARE able to do well. icon_smile.gif

quote:
A few days ago the group of cachers who have been participating in this "I'm better than you are" activity crossed the line as far as I am concerned by changing the coordinates in a multicache without consulting the hider.

Yeah - I never understand how someone can justify moving someone's cache, or a leg of a multi-cache, without asking the owner. This has led to the disappearance of a few caches around here, actually. Someone moves it from the original good spot, then BAM - gone.

But as for those cocky folks... I just kinda feel bad for them, that they have to make their logs like that - obviously feeling the need to be better or show their superiority over other geocachers. I sure wouldn't wanna go on a hunt with someone like that.

Then again, I don't really like most people anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

quote:

There are a few cachers in our area who feel the need to express their superiority by detailing how easy it was for them to locate a cache. Of late, many logs state that they have XXX finds so did not require a gps to locate the cache. Or since they have XXX finds, they were able to quickly locate the cache.

Yeah, that does sound a little bit cocky... but, to me, it just shows me that they have insecurities about something else, so they have to be boastful about the things that they ARE able to do well. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Yeah - I never understand how someone can justify moving someone's cache, or a leg of a multi-cache, without asking the owner. This has led to the disappearance of a few caches around here, actually. Someone moves it from the original good spot, then BAM - gone.

But as for those cocky folks... I just kinda feel bad for them, that they have to make their logs like that - obviously feeling the need to be better or show their superiority over other geocachers. I sure wouldn't wanna go on a hunt with someone like that.

Then again, I don't really like most people anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

- Toe.

quote:

The point of entering your finds on the website is not (at least to most of us) to increase your "standing in society".

I have to disagree with you here... I mean, I don't really care about anyone else's find totals, but a lot of people do.

Check out the various threads about the removal of the find count from people's log entries. Jeremy changed the log pages so that each person's name no longer had their total finds attached to it - and people freaked out! icon_eek.gif

Most of the comments were saying that they liked to see people's totals so they could weigh that person's comments in their log entry. Evidently someone like me, with only a dozen finds, wouldn't pull much weight in my log entry - compared to someone with 100 or 200 finds.

Personally, I think that is load of crap... I have no doubt that I have the "skill" or "desire" of any other geocacher out here. I get a little more fun out of HIDING caches - but that doesn't do anything for my count. I'll bet I've hid more good geocaches in my time than most 50+ find people.

But anyway - I have to disagree with you and say that I believe most people on the site DO judge people by their amount of caches found.

- Toe.

quote:

The point of entering your finds on the website is not (at least to most of us) to increase your "standing in society".

I have to disagree with you here... I mean, I don't really care about anyone else's find totals, but a lot of people do.

Check out the various threads about the removal of the find count from people's log entries. Jeremy changed the log pages so that each person's name no longer had their total finds attached to it - and people freaked out! icon_eek.gif

Most of the comments were saying that they liked to see people's totals so they could weigh that person's comments in their log entry. Evidently someone like me, with only a dozen finds, wouldn't pull much weight in my log entry - compared to someone with 100 or 200 finds.

Personally, I think that is load of crap... I have no doubt that I have the "skill" or "desire" of any other geocacher out here. I get a little more fun out of HIDING caches - but that doesn't do anything for my count. I'll bet I've hid more good geocaches in my time than most 50+ find people.

But anyway - I have to disagree with you and say that I believe most people on the site DO judge people by their amount of caches found.

- Toe.

quote:

- Toe.

quote:

There are a few cachers in our area who feel the need to express their superiority by detailing how easy it was for them to locate a cache.

Please provide examples.

quote:

Please provide a link to the cache. Could it be this one?

[This message was edited by GeoPrincess on September 18, 2002 at 08:06 AM.]

I actually get complaints about how easy one of my caches is to find. I feel like going to the window and yelling, “IT’S A 1/1! IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE EASY!! The homeowner’s association is getting tired of me doing that. icon_eek.gif

I like to do what I call “Offset Coordinates”. The cache description only gets you coordinates to the trailhead or another place where you have to find the actual latitude/longitude. For example, write the lat/long on the back of a nearby road sign with a sharpie pen. That makes it a whole lot harder for someone to find it without a GPSr. icon_redface.gif

As for “score”, just check my stats. I don’t care and I chuckle when I see it being touted as something that makes one cacher superior to another. icon_rolleyes.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I actually get complaints about how easy one of my caches is to find. I feel like going to the window and yelling, “IT’S A 1/1! IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE EASY!! The homeowner’s association is getting tired of me doing that. icon_eek.gif

I like to do what I call “Offset Coordinates”. The cache description only gets you coordinates to the trailhead or another place where you have to find the actual latitude/longitude. For example, write the lat/long on the back of a nearby road sign with a sharpie pen. That makes it a whole lot harder for someone to find it without a GPSr. icon_redface.gif

As for “score”, just check my stats. I don’t care and I chuckle when I see it being touted as something that makes one cacher superior to another. icon_rolleyes.gif

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I agree with everyone who has posted. (I'm in a very agreeable mood today.)

In general terms, it is best to ignore individuals who brag too much. Also, it is not uncommon to find a cache quickly, even a cache that is supposed to be difficult. (It happens to me almost as often as having difficulty finding a 1/1.) It is certainly appropriate for a cacher to post a log that states that it was a quick find.

When I put much effort into ensuring that a cache has an increased difficulty, it does irritate me when a cacher posts that it was easy. I have a cache (Great Caesar's Ghost, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=9090) that requires you to decipher three clues and go to two locations to obtain coordinate info to find the cache, which is well camoed. A cacher logged it stating that it was so easy that he didn't go to the first two locations. (He has since deleted his log, but that's another thread.) The only way he could have found it without this info is to ask for hints from previous finders.

It is individuals like this that I believe this thread refers to. (There are serious grammar issues with that sentence, I realize.) These people like to tell how many caches they found and how easy they all are. It feeds their ego. In my opinion, its best to just ignore their chest thumping.

I've seen those on logs before here as well. I personaly try not to use those words unless they are in such context as to praise the cache-owner for excellent co-ordinates or a simple straightforward placement that is hidden to the casual observer, but easy for a cacher to find. I could see how they could be misconstrued. Should'nt some caches actually BE easy to find? I have hard caches and easy ones. I like the easy ones because they are active. The challenging ones can sometimes go for a few weeks without being hit.

And some of us are stat junkies. A high find count does indicate a few things, an avid cacher and perhaps experience and the ability to judge what makes a good cache by the sheer number of caches they have done.

As I was reading the thread, I realized, much to my chagrin, that I am sort of guilty of doing this. Here’s my log of a cache here in WA:

“WOW, first one here! Coordinates seem to be spot on, found it without too much difficulty. It took me longer to get the bags off the cache container than it did to find it. Note to cachers: the container is very small. Took the little teepee and left a mini blimp. The blimp didn’t fit into the container so I just put it into the bags with the cache. Great hide job!”

What I was talking about was the fact that the cache was ensconced within three plastic shopping bags, each tied individually. It took a while to get at it. With all the suspicious looks I was getting I wanted to get the log book entry in and get out of there. I also stumbled on the bagged container more by accident than by any super skill on my part.

So there’s always the “other” possibility to consider. It was misunderstood?

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Let's see...

1. Someone who has chosen a nickname (Foghorn Leghorn) synonymous with bluff, bluster and braggadocio posts a topic complaining about bragging by other (unnamed) cachers.

2. This is a new account with no finds or hides; but the person saw a need to explain s/he has actually been caching for more than 1 year.

If this isn't troll bait, it's a greatly missed opportunity.

However...

If the original poster is not actually an IMposter, I offer this observation:

No one can "suck the fun out" of your geocaching experience without your permission. Someone else mentioning (or even bragging about) their find count and the ease with which they found a particular cache does not make you a victim. It has nothing to do with you; so if you take it personally and are upset by it, that's your choice.

quote:
I know I should suck it up and not let such trivialities rankle me... I also know that if reading the logs bothers me then I should not read the logs.

If you were serious in your post, quit making excuses about being addicted and take your own advise. icon_rolleyes.gif

Worldtraveler

Let's see...

1. Someone who has chosen a nickname (Foghorn Leghorn) synonymous with bluff, bluster and braggadocio posts a topic complaining about bragging by other (unnamed) cachers.

2. This is a new account with no finds or hides; but the person saw a need to explain s/he has actually been caching for more than 1 year.

If this isn't troll bait, it's a greatly missed opportunity.

However...

If the original poster is not actually an IMposter, I offer this observation:

No one can "suck the fun out" of your geocaching experience without your permission. Someone else mentioning (or even bragging about) their find count and the ease with which they found a particular cache does not make you a victim. It has nothing to do with you; so if you take it personally and are upset by it, that's your choice.

quote:
I know I should suck it up and not let such trivialities rankle me... I also know that if reading the logs bothers me then I should not read the logs.

If you were serious in your post, quit making excuses about being addicted and take your own advise. icon_rolleyes.gif

Worldtraveler

You know, I have seem some caches which were rated 4/4 and then several people logging things like "Found it 15 minutes after getting out of my car". Again, logs can spot trends in activity at your cache. If people are logging that they are getting harder and harder to find, perhaps it's the vegetation growing or it slipped down an embankment or something. If one logs says "easy find" and the next one was a no-find, maybe it was vandalized. If there was a log that said "This was tough" followed by a "Wow, super easy", then it could have been simply poorly replaced by the last cacher.

A lot can be read into the logs. Don't take numbers personally. Or the logs.

The only thing that would have really bothered me about your initial complaint was that they moved the coordinates of part of the multi cache without consulting the owner. This is petty nonsense. Even having said that, though, sometimes there are valid reasons. But it's really the owner's responsibility.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

The only time I really consider someone's number of finds is when they grab one of my travel bugs. I do get a little nervous when it's someone's second find and first bug. Otherwise, I don't view this as a competition. It's a fun hobby that gets me out into more unusual places.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

- Toe.

Oh yeah. Find count matters a lot -- which is why my wife was able to double hers from 3 to 6 by easily finding 3 caches that I (230+ finds) was unable to locate at all a few days earlier.

And when I say easily I mean in under a minute for each cache.

Experience does matter. I can find caches easily now that I possibly couldn't have found when I was starting out. I'm also better able to prepare for tricky caches or cache-a-thons than I would have been six months ago.

But it only matters to finds. If an experienced cacher posts a "did not find" for a cache (like the 1.5/1.5 that stumped me two days ago) it doesn't mean any more than if an inexperienced cacher posts a DNF for the same cache. -- we all have blind spots, slumps, and bad days.

kg6nee

I'm pretty new to this game but have visited several sites with a very experienced geocacher but have never logged a visit. When we get to the coordinates she always lets me have a head start but she is always first to the cache. I guess experience does matter. I'd of never of found some of those. Now that I've opened my own account should I log a visit even if I wasn't the one who actually found it?

As for the braggers. They should stop tooting there own horns and belittling other cachers and caches. We all have to start somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by sweetirish:

Now that I've opened my own account should I log a visit even if I wasn't the one who actually found it?

I believe that if you hunt with other cachers, it is a team effort. All cachers present should log the find. After all, it wouldn't be very much fun to have to return to the scene to 'find' it.

quote:
Originally posted by ikayak:

Isn't this just supposed to be fun?

Yes, and for many, overanalyzing or critiquing (and definitely arguing) is fun too icon_smile.gif

For me, saying a cache is easy doesn't seem like a big deal. Sometimes they are easy, especially if your having a good sat day. And even if they are a blowhard, blowhards are blowhards. Just deal with them the way you would do in a public setting. Ignore them.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by ikayak:

Isn't this just supposed to be fun?

Yes, and for many, overanalyzing or critiquing (and definitely arguing) is fun too icon_smile.gif

For me, saying a cache is easy doesn't seem like a big deal. Sometimes they are easy, especially if your having a good sat day. And even if they are a blowhard, blowhards are blowhards. Just deal with them the way you would do in a public setting. Ignore them.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:

... Evidently someone like me, with only a dozen finds, wouldn't pull much weight in my log entry - compared to someone with 100 or 200 finds.

Personally, I think that is load of crap... I have no doubt that I have the "skill" or "desire" of any other geocacher out here.

I don't know much about Rubbertoe, so these comments are not aimed specifically at him.

"Desire" to find a (specific) cache, or "desire" to geocache? I would think that if a long-time member has only a few finds, they probably don't have the same "desire" as someone who has logged a high number of finds in a similar amount of time. (And yes, I realize there could be myriad reasons why any individual was precluded from getting out to cache.)

"Skill" is a different matter. As others have mentioned, anyone can have an uncharacteristically bad (or good, for that matter) day. When I review the logs people post to my caches, I always check not only their number of finds, but also the difficulty ratings of the caches they have found.

For example, if someone had logged 500 finds on 1/1 caches and then failed to find a 5/5, their lack of experience at the more challenging level would not cause me concern about the cache. Conversely, if an individual who had found a significant number of challenging caches logged a "couldn't find" to a cache of lesser difficulty, I would be more inclined to investigate the matter immediately.

Perhaps that's not entirely fair, but that's life. icon_wink.gif

Incidentally, I reviewed a number of the caches from the thread originator's home area ... I did notice the multicache where someone corrected coordinates without the owner's permission, and I agree that they should have contacted the cache owner for permission. But I didn't notice any evidence of boasting, "chest beating" or "bad attitudes." Could someone point it out to me?

quote:

... Evidently someone like me, with only a dozen finds, wouldn't pull much weight in my log entry - compared to someone with 100 or 200 finds.

Personally, I think that is load of crap... I have no doubt that I have the "skill" or "desire" of any other geocacher out here.

I don't know much about Rubbertoe, so these comments are not aimed specifically at him.

"Desire" to find a (specific) cache, or "desire" to geocache? I would think that if a long-time member has only a few finds, they probably don't have the same "desire" as someone who has logged a high number of finds in a similar amount of time. (And yes, I realize there could be myriad reasons why any individual was precluded from getting out to cache.)

"Skill" is a different matter. As others have mentioned, anyone can have an uncharacteristically bad (or good, for that matter) day. When I review the logs people post to my caches, I always check not only their number of finds, but also the difficulty ratings of the caches they have found.

For example, if someone had logged 500 finds on 1/1 caches and then failed to find a 5/5, their lack of experience at the more challenging level would not cause me concern about the cache. Conversely, if an individual who had found a significant number of challenging caches logged a "couldn't find" to a cache of lesser difficulty, I would be more inclined to investigate the matter immediately.

Incidentally, I reviewed a number of the caches from the thread originator's home area ... I did notice the multicache where someone corrected coordinates without the owner's permission, and I agree that they should have contacted the cache owner for permission. But I didn't notice any evidence of boasting, "chest beating" or "bad attitudes." Could someone point it out to me?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Marty Fouts:

Oh yeah. Find count matters _a lot_ -- which is why my wife was able to double hers from 3 to 6 by _easily_ finding 3 caches that I (230+ finds) was unable to locate at all a few days earlier.

And when I say _easily_ I mean in under a minute for each cache.

It doesn't matter how smart, talented, and accomplished a man is--his wife always is moreso. That's why we're the "better half".

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Wow!! If you're bothered by that, you'd really hate to come to my neck of the woods and hide one!!!

But seriously, I've come to conclude that we here in SW Virginia are a "community" of sort. Although I've never met my fellow geocachers of this area, they are so polite and friendly, it just means so much to me (awwwwww icon_frown.gif how sweet).

Just check out a few posts here in the area ( I can't do the hyperlink thingey yet don't know how. Has to do with the ubbcode, i think), but you will see almost every one will have some kind of "easy find" in the log.

Seems to me that assurance of a find is gratitude, to say the least. If one of my locals says, "Another great find, Opey One, found it with no problems", I would extremely enjoy the fact they found it. It also excites me when a first finder does the same.

Since then, though, I have hidden a few harder ones, too. But I guess it comes with the area.

Call me silly, but I still go to my cache find/hid page and run through EVERY log, just for the thrill of seeing what kind of experience I had or THEY had. I even go to others in various states, just to look at the logs.

As for your dilemma, those people just need be ignored, they are too extreme. I've heard mention of a group in the Tennesse area slinging mud about another group finding a new cache first. First ones to find it!! First ones to find it!!! See, that bothered group A. Maybe group B is rubbing it in a tad. But for me, as soon as I see a new cache nearby, I swear to goodness that I drop whatever I'm doing, just to go find that jewel!!! Who cares if I am the first to find it, it's not a race. I don't see it that way. It's fun for everyone, why get steamed up about it????? Man, I'm lovin it even more!!!!!

Wow!! If you're bothered by that, you'd really hate to come to my neck of the woods and hide one!!!

But seriously, I've come to conclude that we here in SW Virginia are a "community" of sort. Although I've never met my fellow geocachers of this area, they are so polite and friendly, it just means so much to me (awwwwww icon_frown.gif how sweet).

Just check out a few posts here in the area ( I can't do the hyperlink thingey yet don't know how. Has to do with the ubbcode, i think), but you will see almost every one will have some kind of "easy find" in the log.

Seems to me that assurance of a find is gratitude, to say the least. If one of my locals says, "Another great find, Opey One, found it with no problems", I would extremely enjoy the fact they found it. It also excites me when a first finder does the same.

Since then, though, I have hidden a few harder ones, too. But I guess it comes with the area.

Call me silly, but I still go to my cache find/hid page and run through EVERY log, just for the thrill of seeing what kind of experience I had or THEY had. I even go to others in various states, just to look at the logs.

As for your dilemma, those people just need be ignored, they are too extreme. I've heard mention of a group in the Tennesse area slinging mud about another group finding a new cache first. First ones to find it!! First ones to find it!!! See, that bothered group A. Maybe group B is rubbing it in a tad. But for me, as soon as I see a new cache nearby, I swear to goodness that I drop whatever I'm doing, just to go find that jewel!!! Who cares if I am the first to find it, it's not a race. I don't see it that way. It's fun for everyone, why get steamed up about it????? Man, I'm lovin it even more!!!!!

I've found a unique way to ensure that no matter what anyone might say, "I" know that the cache was at least challenging to get to, even if they "found" it easily...hehehehe. If you check where my traditional caches are you will find that they have to be driven to over some questionable ground, and preferably in a four wheel drive vehicle. Once you get to the area, they are no more difficult to find than any other I suppose, they are hidden as carefully as the terrain allows. I've got log entries that state that the trip was the thing even more than finding the cache itself, and I like it that way. On top of that I try to load them up with great items ( in my humble opinion) and make them worth the trip. It's working so far at least, they seem to be appreciated.

Sargent 4 X 4

Matagorda 4 X 4

BB-35 4 X 4

Port O'Connor 4 X 4

All in the great state of Texas!!! icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I've found a unique way to ensure that no matter what anyone might say, "I" know that the cache was at least challenging to get to, even if they "found" it easily...hehehehe. If you check where my traditional caches are you will find that they have to be driven to over some questionable ground, and preferably in a four wheel drive vehicle. Once you get to the area, they are no more difficult to find than any other I suppose, they are hidden as carefully as the terrain allows. I've got log entries that state that the trip was the thing even more than finding the cache itself, and I like it that way. On top of that I try to load them up with great items ( in my humble opinion) and make them worth the trip. It's working so far at least, they seem to be appreciated.

Sargent 4 X 4

Matagorda 4 X 4

BB-35 4 X 4

Port O'Connor 4 X 4

All in the great state of Texas!!! icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.