Being in 10 places at one time?

Micqn

Have you ever noticed that some cachers seem to be able to find 20 to 30 caches in the same day? Something odd is going on! Are they Omnipotent? I want to be able to do that!

Please tell me that it can be done!

Happy. Hunting.

[This message was edited by '68 Dodger on January 15, 2003 at 09:22 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by '68 Dodger:

Have you ever noticed that some cachers seem to be able to find 20 to 30 caches in the same day? Something odd is going on! Are they Omnipotent? I want to be able to do that!

Happy. Hunting.

Oh, you would be surprised! A lot depends on the area you live in. I have 92 caches within 15 miles of my house, so if you came out here, it would be real easy to hit 30 in one day with a little planning. Thats the key. Check out This old post by BruceS describing a typical day of geocaching for him.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

It can be done. I've broken 20 many times, but think I've gotten 30 only once. There's no real magic involved. You just drive to an area where with lots of caches you haven't found yet, get up before the sun, be sure there are fresh batteries in your lamp (maybe you pick virtuals so as not to taunt park hours that are often closed during the darkness) and start caching. Have the day planned out so you're caching and not driving back and forth.

Yeah, in order to knock down that kind of numbers, you have to really be having a lot of fun at it and be committed to pretty much spending the day at it, but what can be better than spending the day doing something you enjoy?

quote:

...Are they Omnipotent?...

Actually, I think omnipresence would be more of an asset and have less environmental impact than omnipotence in this situation; but neither is really necessary, as others have pointed out. All you need is a nice, fast '68 Dodge and a lot of gas! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

quote:

...Are they Omnipotent?...

Actually, I think _omnipresence_ would be more of an asset and have less environmental impact than _omnipotence_ in this situation; but neither is really necessary, as others have pointed out. All you need is a nice, fast '68 Dodge and a _lot_ of gas! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

Good point!

Happy. Hunting.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-v/files/Geocache_Routing_Tools_V1.0.2.zip

Last year, I created a spreadsheet and procedure on explaining how to create the shortest route to the nearest 25 Geocache waypoints. The spreadsheet/workbook I created uses the waypoints downloaded using EasyGPS then uses the GPS and a spreadsheet to do the computations.

I wish I was a programmer so that I could create a easier solution...

Enjoy!

The files, in a compressed zipped file, are located at the URL above.

I've created *ANOTHER* MS-Excel workbook to compute the shortest route to the nearest *250* random Lat/Lon waypoints, worldwide. This workbook took approximately ten minutes to complete the computations on my 400MHz Pentium II. Your times will vary.

The macro to do the computations can be invoked using Ctrl+Shift+L.

The Excel worksheets/workbooks, in compressed zipped files, are located in the same "Friends" folder at: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/strattonpaul

There's the theoretical side of this type of TSP analysis. The Excel workbook provides a brute force method. There are other methods that can save time. But on today's PCs, the horsepower is there.

The shortest route idea started out as a simple question. If I went somewhere for vacation and wanted to see as many sights as I could in one day, how would I do it?

The idea about geocache points was just another application of the same question and possible solution. The same TSP solution principals can be applied to delivery companies, service personnel, telephone/cable installers, and GEOCACHE hunting.

I just wish I could use real-world mapping software (e.g., Garmin's Mapsource) to determine the shortest distances or shortest times. If I could work out the interfaces between a waypoint database and the mapping software, it could be done. However, it would be really slow, even on some of the fastest machines of today...

paul_stratton

And to think that I once had trouble finding my own "***" with both hands...

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Hey. We resemble that remark. (31 locationless in 6 hours on Saturday.)

That's less than 12 minutes spent on each cache, including time spent commuting between them.

I sincerely hope you weren't incovenienced by having to get out of your nice, warm car.

But at least you have your memories of the experiences.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoPrincess:

That's less than 12 minutes spent on each cache, including time spent commuting between them.

I sincerely hope you weren't incovenienced by having to get out of your nice, warm car.

But at least you have your memories of the experiences.

I can't believe we are getting chastized by a sock puppet.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Yeah, I'm a sock puppet too. I've never done anything that contributed to this community in any way. But I'm not getting into that with this a****** again.

Actually, we went and found all those locationless caches to MAKE A POINT about how easy it was. But Geoprince-a$$ is good at missing the point.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by paul_stratton:

...I wish I was a programmer so that I could create a easier solution...I just wish I could use real-world mapping software...

Hey, if you're going to wish for something, wish for a Garmin GPS V! Just load in all the caches you want to hunt, tell it to "find nearest", and "goto" it. The autorouting feature gives you the choice of "shortest", "quickest", or "offroad" (for once you're on the trail). After finding that one, repeat for the next, and the next until you've gone through all of them. There may be some occasions where the nearest will be one you've already found; just "goto" the nearest you haven't found in that case.

I'm not sure if your resultant track will be the absolute shortest/quickest on paper, but it should be close. And when you consider the time you save by not having to figure it all out beforehand, there's no comparison: less time planning leaves more time for caching. icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I can't believe we are getting chastized by a sock puppet.

What's that "we" all about? I quoted and commented to Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy, not you. Oh, I see. You're feeling a tad defensive because you've "found" 68 locationless caches. Did you do each one in under 12 minutes? icon_wink.gif That would have been quite an achievement. icon_razz.gif

Not that it's any of your business, but Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy is a sock puppet just like me.

[This message was edited by GeoPrincess on January 15, 2003 at 01:10 PM.]

Well if Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy is a sock-puppet, he is a very smart one. He just spent the better part of an hour helping and teaching me on how to find a unique cache we have here in CO. We need more Sock-puppets like him

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

quote:

I didn't miss the point. You claimed finds for them. So now half of your team's logged finds are locationless caches? That's truly impressive.

Well, of course we claimed finds for them. We found them, didn't we? Why don't you come to Fort Wayne and find 27 non-locationless caches, if you're so good?

Like I said, good at missing the point.

warm.gif

quote:

quote:

I'd tell you, GeoPrincess, but

+ You're too stupid to understand, and

+ I have better things to do.

As your continued barrage of posts have proved, you are clearly wrong on both counts.

My posting makes you smarter? I think you'd have to be able to read for that to work.

And picking my belly-button lint is "better things to do" than to try to explain anything to a sock puppet.

warm.gif

Have you ever found a cache? Any cache? Before I comment, I just want to know if you sit there with nothing to do but post here, or if you've actually found caches under another name. Call me curious.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

i think this thread demonstrates why we should be able to ignore certain users. since we cant do that, how about this; geoprincess, shut up!

Who in hell are you, why should I care, and what did you contribute to the geocaching community today?

i have contributed the geocacher help desk on AIM, yahoo and msn.

i have contributed ideas for programs and enhancements which computer gurus have implimented

as to who the hell i am, i am danny. i have actually found a cache.

as for you, you are what we call, a punk!

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

Here's how I plan a marathon caching day:

Look at the California map on geocaching.com and pick a cache rich area near home that I might be interested in. Sometimes it's a big park, sometimes its a bunch of urban caches, sometimes a combination of both.

I'll set up a pocket query for that area, if it isn't already covered by my San Jose pocket query.

I download the waypoints into my Sportrak. I then upload the waypoints into MapSend topo.

I use MapSend topo to zoom in on the area in question, trying to link nearby caches in some sort of logical order.

If a park is involved, I'll try to find a park trailmap online, and also print out a topo map from NG Topo! with the waypoints on it.

I print out close up maps, usually with five to ten caches per map. I print out cache descriptions and paperclip them to the map.

We get up around 5:00-6:00am and start driving to our destination.

We work our way through the maps we've printed out until we run out of daylight and energy.

No real magic involved, but I do generally put in about an hour or two preparing for one of these marathon days. Personally, I enjoy it all, the preparing and organizing, and the actual caching.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

quote:

Well, of course we claimed finds for them. We found them, didn't we? Why don't you come to Fort Wayne and find 27 non-locationless caches, if you're so good?

My understanding was that real geocachers logged locationless caches as notes. They don't want or need bogus "finds."

We were going to log them on my account - the one I post to the fora with - but my caching partner decided that she liked the idea enough that she wanted to take credit for the finds, so we logged them on our team account (which is her account, tied to her email - THAT is why I post here with a different account; I want the emailed replies to come to me.)

It's my understanding that locationless finds will soon be their own category anyway, and the fact that the "find inflation" would be temporary was also part of our motivation for just logging them on the team account.

In any case, if it were about the numbers, we would have gone to Dan's page and told it about the 31 missing logs, wouldn't we?

warm.gif

Geoprincess- I don't get it. You have no finds, yet you are highly concerned about what type of caches other people find. For all I know your 'real' account has 100 locationless finds.

Either way, get over it. If you don't like a certain type, don't look for them.

There is something else I don't understand. Why do you hide behind a sock puppet account? My best guess is that you don't care about this issue, you just want to cause trouble. Based on this assumption, why don't you go away. You have no credibility.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:

Happy. Hunting.

[This message was edited by '68 Dodger on January 15, 2003 at 09:22 AM.]

What you need to do is head down to SLC with the gps loaded with all the caches in the area plus the printouts. Or even better, have all this info loaded into a Palm or Pocket PC. Find the edge of a clump of caches and then just work your way across.

Do not start in the middle and try to work outward, this just leaves the caches further and further apart.

From looking at these maps

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/salt_lake_city_and_ogden.shtml

There seems to be no reason you couldn't string together a big cache day rather easily. Get up early, fill the gas tank, pack a lunch, plan it well and there you go.

Last I heard, there wasn't much snow in the low lands.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I found the answers I wanted and I understand how to find a whole buch of caches in one day using maps and PDA's and programs.

It all comes back down to having fun Relaxing with friends and family (or getting away from). The hunt, back-tracking, crossing the same paths are what its all about right?

I guess the way I do it is the best for me, I like enjoying the search.

Kudos to those who enjoy doing a 30 a day!

Kudo's to those who rely on ESP to get them to the cache site!

Kudo's to those who have to scrounge up the monies to buy the least expensive unit out there so that they can spend quality time with (or without) their family and friends.

We are united in a sport that is FUN not a contest.

If you want bloodsport watch a church basketball game.

Happy. Hunting.

hear! hear@

Best I've ever done is maybe 12 or 15, but I like to stop and smell the roses. I like to sit and read the logbook, cover to cover. I check out the stuff in the cache, even if I don't trade. Often I'll try and find a different way back to the car. I often spend 15 minutes or more deciding what to write when I post the log. I may not have the most finds in here, but I can remember every one of the 105 I have, and I've enjoyed every single one.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

First you said this...

quote:

I want to be able to do that!

Then you finish with this...

quote:

I guess the way I do it is the best for me, I like enjoying the search.

All the kudos aside, if you weren't really intrested on how to find a bunch of caches in one day why did you ask?

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by paul_stratton:

The Excel worksheets/workbooks, in compressed zipped files, are located in the same "Friends" folder at: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/strattonpaul

It says 4 items then when I click into the Friend's folder it says Folder is Empty. Could you email it to me? sygyzy@umail.ucsb.edu

Edit: Ah I figured it out. Hosting on a members' only site. Very clever.

quote:
Originally posted by Triple G:

Here in LA it's really easy. There are so many caches all around!!

But what's the point? I prefer to enjoy them one by one!!

GGG

One by one? Is there a way to enjoy them more than one at a time? I find one, enjoy it. I then realized that I enjoyed it SOOOO much that I want to find another. Maybe I just enjoy each one more than most people. So much so that I can't wait for the next.

Well, there was that one time I enjoyed three at a time. But that was only once.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Well, there was that one time I enjoyed three at a time. But that was only once.

Sounds like that Berkeley cache you were talking about... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Sounds like that Berkeley cache you were talking about... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

It was a locationless cache where one photo fell into three catagories. Mission San Juan Babtista.

1 - 100 year old church

2 - place where movie was shot

3 - Mission

One photo, one set of coordinates. Three finds.

Haven't done that since.

The Berkeley cache was another story.

george

39570_500.jpg