Mosquito Deleto

Not exactly geocaching-related, but I figure there's some people here who have tried this out...

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about Coleman's Mosquito Deleto system? The general gist is you have a small unit that you put on your patio that repels the critters. Somewhere else in your yard you have a propane-powered lure/trap to "deleto" the bugs.

Does this system work as well as advertised, or would a $3 can of fogger work just as well?

- - - - -

I wish I could hear the soundtrack to my life. That way I'd know when to duck.

Funny you should ask. I know nothing about that system in particular but from what it sounds like I know someone that has one and says that it doesn't work that great. I've heard others that say it works great but they don't own them and are just repeating what they've heard. So, Today I went out and bought a 60 propane fogger system. It takes the insecticide heats it and puts it out in smoke form. I have used these before and they work great for a few hours. I plan on testing it tonight and can get back to ya on how it works in my yard and such. My plan is to use it when I know I'll be out in the yard for the evening and I will also take it camping with me and to the neighbors when we'll be outside. Someone had one when I was camping last and they smoked out our site and it was bug free the whole night so I'm rather excited about this purchase.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

If you do some googling, you'll find some reviews and such. About all I can remember is that the Mosquito Deleto ranked as the absolute bottom of the barrel. The Mosquito Magnet and the other one (I can't remember the name) both caught quite a few more skeeters than the Mosquito Deleto.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

They tested one of the Co emmiters here in Houston at a kids / orphans home. The review was so so. The problem is that here in Houston area we have the tiger mosquito. The emmiters don't attract tigers. So they only attract and kill the less agressive skeeters.

I have found NOTHING works. The propane fogger works for about 15 minutes. However we did fog and then use the Off Mosquito Lanterns around the patio when we had a party. That worked pretty good.

Recovering from Lymes Disease I'm just a tad paranoid right now. Oh and I did get it from a common dog tick FWIW. I pulled the bugger off BEFORE he could even get any blood. But he got me.

Well, anyway, I have often wondered if the electronic ones have any merit. Has anyone ever used one of those?

Think about this, startegically placing them about the yard, such that you have a dead zone in the middle. Herd the little buggers in the middle. icon_smile.gif

I always liked to watch the bug zapper do it's job. You have to keep it away from the area you are in though. We found that out the hard way once. Doh!

Maxpedition Hard Use Nylon Gear

[This message was edited by TNRonin on July 20, 2003 at 07:55 PM.]

quote:
Oh and I did get it from a common dog flea FWIW. I pulled the bugger off BEFORE he could even get any blood. But he got me.

If you got Lyme, it was from a tick, not a flea. And you must have been bit (and not for a very breif period of time, it increases as time goes on), otherwise you wouldn't get it. Not that I'm discounting that you had Lyme, just discounting how you say you got it!

pokeanim3.gif