GPS in California news story (sort of)

Kealia

Currently in the Santa Clara County/Monterey County area there is a huge debate/problem about where to place a convicted child molester now that he has served his time (side note: there is no such thing as enough @&$@^^ing time for a child molester and it makes me sick that he is getting out).

The story on the news 5 minutes ago said that he will be the most watched 'released convict' in history (I think that's what they said).

In any case, the point is that they were talking about how closely he will be watched and said that the police will always know where he is because "he will be wearing a GPS".

The ignorance of this was somewhat shocking. I'm assuming they meant that he will be wearing the same type of tracking device that people on house-arrest wear and as far as I know that's not based on GPS technology, is it?

If I'm wrong and there is a method of tracking using a 'reverse method' where a wear-able unit transmits via the GPS signal please do correct me.

Otherwise, I get no feeling of safety knowing that there's a child molester running around and the police are counting on a GPS unit to keep track of him.

BTW, I mean no offense to the police folk out there. My family is on the job and this is not directed at the others who are as well. Just sounding off on the error I guess....

He is not wearing a GPS like you Geocache with. Its is a standard device used to monitor people who are under house arrest, it transmits their location and is usually an ankle braclet.

Everyhting I have heard about says these things are very effective. If you are under hisue arrest and step outside to sign for a UPS delivery, you get an immediate phone call from the police who monitor these things.

I think I heard on the news that he was going to be staying in a trailer that was actually located on the grounds of the max security facility at Soledad.

The area is populated by a lot of the prison guards. Everyone knows who he is now. That guy isn't going to be able to do anything down there without several people watching him every step of the way.

I voulenteer to go down there and beat the living daylights out of him every morning, just as a precautionary measure....

Patti and Matthew McKenna, Watsonville California

Garmin 72

No problem. I'd just read about this company not too long ago. Pretty interesting stuff. Also, this should be noted by those few on the boards who consider those of us who specify GPSr instead of just GPS to be pedants.

Had the news report specified GPS transmitter you probably wouldn't have assumed the reporter didn't know what they were talking about.

-Vb

If I'm wrong and there is a method of tracking using a 'reverse method' where a wear-able unit transmits via the GPS signal please do correct me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is LoJack, a pager sized reporting GPS used in vehicles, bur it transmits to policecars directly, On-Star reports position to a cell Tower and then to a control center.

The USAF has a survival beacon that reports via GPS coordinates to the nearest Rescue Coordination Center. (121.5 and 243.0 MHz, and 282.8Mhz.)

I am certain the "Child find" bracelets now on the market work by GPS, but report via cellular

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

~~

Geo-cach-er, n. generally a highy technically competent person with lots of free time. (see also- "Unemployed", Computer administrator, aircraft technician- defense worker- dot-com executive- systems administrator, et.al)

That's some high-tech criminology. If they coulda just convinced Sadam to wear one!

Now, geocaching is a high-tech, wholesome hobby. If they made one of those devices with an actual GPSr in it (seems not too difficult), they could incorporate geocaching as a good, educational, hobby-type of reform for all sorts of ex-cons.

I can just see some of the screen names (and explanations) now! icon_eek.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**