Inside a Fast Food Joint

georgeandmary

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

IMHO, all of this is based more on George's discontent for reasons OTHER than those expressed.

It's too bad he can't even bring himself to address me personally when we both show up at area geo-events, but then that is his problem, not mine.

George can take whatever pleasure he can derive if the Meet Larry cache is archived. As I stated above, it doesn't matter that much to me, as I have plenty of supporters for my caching activity, and I will continue to seek and place caches...probably long after George has given up the activity...of course, I am about 30 years older than he is, so I might die first !

Ron

I don't know You or George either and don't really care about your obvious squabble. I just said I didn't think that this particular cache was proper based on the guidelines. I didn't even say that I agreed with the guidelines. In fact I feel that this cache is about as "in violation" of guidelines as a cache can be. I also said that I didn't expect everyone to agree with my opinion. So just because I agree with George on this one subject and not you, does not mean I wont talk to you if we should ever meet. I'm not that lame and suspect your a pretty friendly guy too. By the way I don't care if the cache is archived or not. It's surly not bothering me.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

The only problem I have with this cache is the off-site hosting of the questions. I use a Palm and rarely check this site before heading out on a cache hunt. I want ALL the info I need to be in the Palm.

The questions actually sound intriguing. In my opinion, it's not commercial if you're not required to buy anything.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

Hello, the is Richard of the GeoCrickets. This is My opinion. What makes Ron's cache "Meet Larry" any more different the George's cache called "Don't Panic".

You need to go inside of each of them to get the answers. Both are commercial in that you need to go into a building. However you don't need to buy anything. Lets see.. Humm.. Lame.. Well some might think that is true but others will not.. So the only thing that is different is the questions are on a different server, and the people with a Palm need to do a little extra work to get the answers.. I think george likes to start trouble and sees nothing wrong with his own caches. Look at the two caches and you make your own opinion.

Thanks for reading...

OK, I looked at the two caches, and formed my own opinion.

A site that is unique in some way, like, say, the giant hotdog that's a hotdog vending stand in LA, would be, in my opinion, a great place for a virtual cache.

A site that is just like a thousand other sites, like, say, the Wendy's on Bascom in San Jose, is not, in my opinion, a great place for a virtual cache.

I *might* make an exception for something that is the first of, like the first Peet's Coffee and Tea location, or the first Orchard Supply Hardware store. But even then, it would have to be at least somewhat unique, or I just don't think it qualifies. (OSH does not.)

In terms of the newspaper vending machine caches, I have not reviewed those so I cannot comment. I can say that I have found a cache that was in a free newspaper vending machine (is it really vending if you don't have to put any money in?) and the location was pretty ingenious.

Shannah

Any cache located inside of a commercial business is lame, even if it only requires you to look at a poster or sign. It's a commercial cache. If someone from marketing at KFC started creating cache pages like the one in question, they would eventually be banned.

For the record, caches hidden inside a newspaper box, free or not, are also commercial caches. They are also inappropriate.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....it would be interesting to know how many of the tens of thousands of cachers use Palm devices. I use one and find it quite valuable when in the field, but I don't depend on it entirely.

The questions page which is hosted on another server in the Meet Larry cache is also printable BEFORE the cacher leaves his/her home, and in fact the cacher is URGED to print out the form to provide a convenient place to record the answers once at the site.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

Ok... im joining.

Personally if I didn't have my palm I would be lost most of the time. I almost never look at the actual cache page online before I go out caching. This would take several hours of 'planning' that I usually don't want to do. The few times that I have found questions or pictures or whatever that didn't make it onto my palm I have never gone back to look them up on the Internet. What if someone comes up here from LA and just happens to see the cache on the GPS and wants to go for it?

On the other hand a convenient place to write the answers is cool, but I don't think it outweighs having the questions on the palm.

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

doesn't just hurt the people with PDAs. Judging by the popularity of programs like ClayJar's Watcher, plenty of people are using the GPX pocket queries for alot more then just PDAs. Using the queries, there is no need at all to look at the actual cache page. Information hosted offsite is not included in the queries.

As far as the cache being lame: I *PERSONALLY* think it sounds like a lame cache, but I've done dozens of other lame caches. I'll leave it up to the admins to decide if it belongs on the site or not, but the offsite info bothers me. I just returned from caching 1000 miles away. I know I would be pissed off if after trying to find my way to a cache in an unfamiliar city, I found out all the info I needed to log it hadn't been printed out because it was hosted offsite.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

....in the Meet Larry cache to accomodate those folks (like myself) who use PDA's.

The cache has moved about 200 feet. It's physical. It still requires answers to questions, but the questions are on the page now. This saves the PDA users who travel 1,000 miles to find this cache...thanks for that effort!

Also, (though *off topic*) readers of this thread *may* enjoy reading Hide and Seek Goes Hi-Tech. The reporter and photographer gave away more than they should, but until you make the trip to these caches, I hope you won't *rush to judgement*.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.