How far have you travelled to do a "close" cache?

I am not sure if this has been discussed before. I checked the search and didn't find anything...

We have had a CACHE on our radar that would have turned a year old on May 10th without being found if we had not gone after it. As a crow flies, it was under 50 miles from our home. To get to it, however, took a 400 mile round-trip.

There is another dirt mountain road that might have made it closer, but it was (and usually is) closed due to snow.

Has anyone else made such a long trek for such a close cache?

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

Well, we drove 90 miles one way today to pick up 4 caches in the College Station area. Yes, we had another reason to be there, but we also planned the caching into our day. We were picking up our daughter from A & M. Those 4 caches finished the ones in the immediate College Station area, so we hope some new ones get placed over the summer for us to hunt for in the fall! icon_biggrin.gif

Well, we drove 90 miles one way today to pick up 4 caches in the College Station area. Yes, we had another reason to be there, but we also planned the caching into our day. We were picking up our daughter from A & M. Those 4 caches finished the ones in the immediate College Station area, so we hope some new ones get placed over the summer for us to hunt for in the fall! icon_biggrin.gif

Let me just say that I've started down the trail before with nothing but my gps and a couple of trade items for close caches, and then got to wondering a couple of hours later what the headlines would be when they found my dehydrated remains with a gps in one hand and a stuffed toy in the other. If you've heard that Minnesota is flat, that's just a nasty rumor--some of the local parks have really convoluted trail systems due to the terrain, and you can walk over 2 miles round trip to get to a cache that's less than half a mile from the parking area as the crow flies. Also, "flat" Minnesota has one of the top-ten mountain bike trails in the U.S.A. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

I am not sure if this has been discussed before. I checked the search and didn't find anything...

We have had a http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2323 on our radar that would have turned a year old on May 10th without being found if we had not gone after it. As a crow flies, it was under 50 miles from our home. To get to it, however, took a 400 mile round-trip.

There is another dirt mountain road that might have made it closer, but it was (and usually is) closed due to snow.

Has anyone else made such a long trek for such a close cache?

----------

Lori aka: _RedwoodRed_

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

http://www.geogadgets.com

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

At the moment, my 'closest' cache is 24.32 miles away, but, to get to it would require a 70 mile drive and then a 16 mile bike ride in. Not an easy bike ride either. We're talking something like 4000 ft of climbing each way. Not that it's on a high peak, but you go up and down numerous hills and valleys to get to it. They're not nice gradual climbs either.

I got 2 caches in the same area (not as far in) last weekend. It starts with a 6 mile climb and then starts to roll. We kind of got lost on the way back out and in order to get back to the road out we had to push our bikes 1.5 miles where we climbed close to 1000ft, but after that it was 6 miles down hill on the way out.

george

I've travelled almost 550 miles for a hydrocache that I considered "close". It was a trip for the express purpose of logging that one cache -- drove there, paddled out, paddled back, drove home -- and I obviously wouldn't do *that* for a cache that wasn't "close", now, would I? icon_wink.gif

I've travelled almost 550 miles for a hydrocache that I considered "close". It was a trip for the express purpose of logging that one cache -- drove there, paddled out, paddled back, drove home -- and I obviously wouldn't do *that* for a cache that wasn't "close", now, would I? icon_wink.gif

The ''Foxy Cache'' showed up back in February on my nearest 25 list as being only 6.75 miles away (NW). In my attempt to get a first find, I didn't look at a map to figure out where it was, and just hopped in the car heading northwest -- at 10:30 at night.

About 30 minutes later, I realize the cache is on an island in Puget Sound. I go for it anyway, and end up driving 90 minutes down dead-end dirt roads, doing U-turns in cul-de-sacs, and finally finding...

''Park closes one hour after sunset.''

I returned two weeks later to be the third finder.

"If a boy has enough intelligence, he ought to go into the ministry, except that if when he enters college he is given to carousing, drinking, and wenching, then in that case he should enter the law." - Harvard Student Review, 1796

Mmm...

Not quite the same, but on a recent hunt for the first leg of a multi-cache I parked where my GPS said I was 0.14 miles from the cache. I ended up walking roughly 2.5 miles before I found the thing, according to the tracklog of my GPS. The track can be seen here. Virtually all of that is my wandering around the woods and trails trying to find a way to approach the cache.

Jamie