Has a non-geocacher found your cache?

Alan2

My very first cache was found by a duck hunter. He was worried it would be washed away by the river it was near and placed it a few feet higher for safety. He logged in (physical log) and said caching looked interesting and he may start playing. I never found out if he did.

I have had one of my caches logged a couple of times by hunters. One actually put a bullet in the cache as a trade item. He never logged it online but the next cacher along let me know about it. So of course I removed it.

Still it's pretty cool to see a cache get logged by outsiders that don't plunder it. Gives ya hope for mankind or something.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I have had one of my caches logged a couple of times by hunters. One actually put a bullet in the cache as a trade item. He never logged it online but the next cacher along let me know about it. So of course I removed it.

Still it's pretty cool to see a cache get logged by outsiders that don't plunder it. Gives ya hope for mankind or something.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

A bullet without the gun that it fits is quite useless. Why bother to remove it?

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

My dad had a bullet wound from when he was a teenager. He dropped a bullet and it hit on the edge of a rock ....just the right pressure to set it off and shoot himself in the shoulder.

Bullets are dangerous. The edge of a rock can act as the firing pin if it hits the bullet right in the center.

Our first cache placed has had numerous visits by non-cachers. The first two non-cachers logged it as a find on the site and wrote in the logbook.

So far as we know it hasn't been plundered, though I suppose by the frequency of accidental finds, it isn't in a very good spot. It is, however, one of the most visited caches in this area.

We're getting ready to go on a maintenance run for all of our caches and for those of cacher-placers who are out of the area - since we are the only consistently active cachers in this county - and we'll check for other accidental finders.

By the way: the two that did log that cache on this site? They are both geocaching now.

Pretty cool...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Had a cache in a high traffic area found by a maintenance worker cleaning up brush. He logged it, and left a sand dollar. Don't know if he has looked for anymore caches. He even told me in the note not to worry, the hiding spot would grow back! Nice guy!

I have a 5/4 three step multi-cache called Over The River

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11741

When I first hid the cache, I hid it along an abandoned railroad line on the edge of Folsom that was mostly overgrown and had obviously not had any maintenance for 20 plus years considering the size of the trees. About 3.5 months after I hid it, the 5th person to find it was part of a work crew cutting the trees and brush. This might not be such a big deal, except that around here the work crews that do this type of work are inmates from Folsom prison!

The inmate traded his sunglasses for a 6-foot extension cord and made an entry into the logbook.

I have since moved the cache...

They wrote nice notes in the logbook and even traded some trinkets. It don't worry about people encountering my caches, only the wrong people. My number one rule is that an area with discarded beer cans is out. It's certainly not that I think beer drinkers are bad, it's just that anyone who leaves their cans/bottles has problems respecting things they don't own.

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

I;m a firm believer in "hiding" the cache WELL. If 4 people stood 4 feet from any of my caches on the 4 cardinal directions, and 1 person stood directly on top (or under) it, i believe there would be less than 4% chance that any of them would see, smell, detect, find, etc. the cache.

That's one of the aspects of the game I really like! (If I was one of those 5 people with my GPS in hand, I would be smiling knowingly while they all stood around scratching themselves or engaging in F.I.)

I love the "knowing what the others do not even conceive of" aspect (what I deem as "Secret Knowledge". icon_cool.gif )

Because, of this, I suspect that few (if any) of my caches will ever be discovered except by those "in the know" - i.e. Geocachers!

maj-gps.gif

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

I;m a firm believer in "hiding" the cache WELL. If 4 people stood 4 feet from any of my caches on the 4 cardinal directions, and 1 person stood directly on top (or under) it, i believe there would be less than 4% chance that any of them would see, smell, detect, find, etc. the cache.

That's one of the aspects of the game I really like! (If I was one of those 5 people with my GPS in hand, I would be smiling knowingly while they all stood around scratching themselves or engaging in F.I.)

I love the "knowing what the others do not even conceive of" aspect (what I deem as "Secret Knowledge". icon_cool.gif )

Because, of this, I suspect that few (if any) of my caches will ever be discovered except by those "in the know" - i.e. Geocachers!

maj-gps.gif

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

One of my caches was found by a non-cacher. It is an unbelievable story. Here is the log entry:

Strange thing happened while preparing to search for this cache. I was in the Shoals area visiting a friend who had a 4WD ATV. His nephew also has an ATV which we went to borrow. Before cruising off with the nephew's ATV I mentioned that we were going cache hunting at the Fire Tower. Turns out, he had found this cache while out mushroom hunting and brought it home thinking some kids were playing around. He saw the information inside and found out it was a GPS/Internet game. He was about to return it. So we saved him the trip. Talking about a small world. That's my easiest cache find yet.

I returned the cache to the location that I would guess it would have been located from the hint. Took: Glasses strap, Left: Golf Ball hole tool.

I have been to one cache that had entries from noncachers. It was located in a historical landmark. I have searched for two other caches that were missing. Both of these were located at significant areas of interest to the general public.

Behind a tree is a better location than in the cave. Everyone looks in the cave.

Our first cache placed (Honeysuckle Hideaway) was apparently found by non-geocachers. They stole/trashed everything, tossed the container about 30 feet away, and left a rather nasty note on the information sheet. I really don't think it was geocachers that ransacked it. When we found it, there were a lot of beer cans and other trash in the area that hadn't been there earlier. We hope to place another cache in that park, but haven't fully explored it yet, although we have placed 3 other successful caches in our city.

Cachers were reporting no finds and finally a report was logged that the cache was found some distance away from the posted coordinates. When I went there to locate the cache, there was an entry in the log book to the effect: "My husband was hunting and found this box in the woods and brought it home. We opened it on the kitchen table. When we realized what it was, I told him he better take it back where he found it." She wrote an appology in the log book and sent him back to the mountains, some 30 miles to return it. I guess he wasn't sure exactly where he found it but placed it in a hidden location behind a tree. Great folks, huh!

Read the logs at GC1970

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

My first cache which is now almost 1 year old had 6 logs by non-cachers out of a total of 31. The last legitimate cacher found it intact laying out in the open approx. 100 metres from its hiding spot and replaced where he thought it may have been. I figured I was pressing my luck so decided to bring it in and temporarily disable it until I find a better hiding spot.

Five of the logs were very respectful by fisherman and hunters. The other is:

quote:
Found by accident while on the run from the law!!! Gotta go can hear the blood hounds in the distance. Took nothing, left a loonie <$1 coin>. Theres a vending machine around the next corner.

A man with a sense of humour or maybe he was from Folsom.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

One of my caches in a public park was found by some non-cachers. They apparently read the information and signed the log, then left the cache sitting out in plain sight. I got an E-mail from them, asking about Geocaching. Fortunately, I just happened to check on the cache shortly after it had been left out. (before I got the e-mail) I was able to re-hide the cache before it was trashed by some vandals.

Reddfrogg

One of my caches was logged by an inmate crew that was doing trail maintenance. The log entry was real nice. They didn't take anything but I had to remove the cache because it was in a sensitive area.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I've had a couple of caches that have been found by non-geocachers. Two of them had nice log entries icon_smile.gif, one didn't get logged or stolen, the person just moved the cache from its hiding place, and wedged it in the crotch of a nearby tree, right out in the open icon_frown.gif (luckily, I found it before anyone else did); and the fourth never got any incidental logs in it, but just disappeared one day. icon_mad.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I've had a couple of caches that have been found by non-geocachers. Two of them had nice log entries icon_smile.gif, one didn't get logged or stolen, the person just moved the cache from its hiding place, and wedged it in the crotch of a nearby tree, right out in the open icon_frown.gif (luckily, I found it before anyone else did); and the fourth never got any incidental logs in it, but just disappeared one day. icon_mad.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Cachier wrote:

quote:
Read the logs at GC1970

I did that, and was impressed with Cachier's exemplary performance as a cache owner. Note the environmental impact assessment in the cache description and his attention to maintenance. If only everyone were that conscientious....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

...don't know if a non-cacher found them or not; however, it would seem that it would have been. I had two separate cache sites and both ended up disappearing into who knows where. Box, treasure, log...all gone. Oh well, just have to go hide another one! Oh boy! Now where did I put those ammo cans? Hmmmmmmm. icon_rolleyes.gif

phantom KB5YUE

"Free your mind" - The Matrix

...don't know if a non-cacher found them or not; however, it would seem that it would have been. I had two separate cache sites and both ended up disappearing into who knows where. Box, treasure, log...all gone. Oh well, just have to go hide another one! Oh boy! Now where did I put those ammo cans? Hmmmmmmm. icon_rolleyes.gif

phantom KB5YUE

"Free your mind" - The Matrix

Five caches out in the wild and one was found once accidentally. The others have never been accidentally found, or at least there is no evidence of it. They are all well hidden. One is a micro in a VERY busy place. The others are all well off the beaten path. Perhaps I've just been lucky so far.

rdw

I very recently hid my first cache and asked the Groundspeak group to comment on it before I submitted it to Jeremy for approval. (It was approved a few days ago: GC63D4)

Almost immediately I got an email from someone who called himself WaldenRun. He said he was from the east coast, and that since he does not have a GPS he likes to try to figure out cache locations by clues alone. He told me the EXACT latitude and longitude of my cache. I'm still scratching my head about how he could do so.

My hat's off to you WaldenRun. Very resourceful!

RobertLG

[This message was edited by RobertLG on June 15, 2002 at 09:24 AM.]

At the State Park where I have two of my caches located, I have posted the coordinates on a geocard that I tacked up on the bulletin board at the Ranger Station. Hopefully this won't attract swine who would go plunder my caches. If it does, I'll take it down. So far, though, it HAS helped at least one cacher who didn't have the coordinates. icon_smile.gif

Hopefully many people with fishing GPSs will find them and get hooked.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

At the State Park where I have two of my caches located, I have posted the coordinates on a geocard that I tacked up on the bulletin board at the Ranger Station. Hopefully this won't attract swine who would go plunder my caches. If it does, I'll take it down. So far, though, it HAS helped at least one cacher who didn't have the coordinates. icon_smile.gif

Hopefully many people with fishing GPSs will find them and get hooked.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Our first cache, Swiftwater, was found repeatedly by fishers. One even asked us to put spare lures in the cache incase he needed one! We have since had to remove the cache because of un-cooperative neighbors. icon_mad.gif

One of our other caches, Keechelus Crossing went untouched through the winter (was likely buried under 10+ feet of snow, but was found earlier this month by a kayaker who went out to check out the island. He even traded a couple items.

Our first cache, Swiftwater, was found repeatedly by fishers. One even asked us to put spare lures in the cache incase he needed one! We have since had to remove the cache because of un-cooperative neighbors. icon_mad.gif

One of our other caches, Keechelus Crossing went untouched through the winter (was likely buried under 10+ feet of snow, but was found earlier this month by a kayaker who went out to check out the island. He even traded a couple items.