First Cachers to 1000

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

I choose to use the base-7 number system because I'm sure that on some planet somewhere, the dominant species has seven fingers (the fourth finger on their left hand is no longer needed for survival ... evolution, you know). Milestones for me include 7, 77, 777, and 7,777 (7, 49, 343,

Actually, in base 7, those numbers would be 10, 100, and 1000. You only have the digits 0 to 6 in base 7.

But the point is taken that it really is arbitrary. I think I'll start using base 674 now... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CaveDiver:

but she must have a waterproof GPS to carry it where I think she carries it (think about it, you'll figure it out - it has to do with being in a perpetually bad mood!).

Darn it! I don't get it! I've tried imagining what you're infering (sp?) in every way from mild to downright rude and crude and still can't visualize why her GPS would need to be waterproof...

Will someone educate me through email so as not to incriminate themselves? Please?

quote:

I choose to use the base-7 number system...Milestones for me include 7, 77, 777, and 7,777 (7, 49, 343, and 2,401 in your so called decimal system). Currently I'm working toward 77 (again, only 49 in your archaic system).

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what you're outlining is not a base-7 system, it's a base-8 system (just like there's no "10" digit in the decimal system, only 0-9, there's no "7" in a base-7 system). Furthermore, your math is wrong. Assuming you're actually proposing an octal scheme, 77 finds does not equate to 49 in decimal, but 63 - you don't just go through and start squaring/cubing things!

This might help you in counting your cache finds. icon_razz.gif

But then again, who cares...

*barefoot*

I'm definitely NOT a math major... but would a numeric system with a base of 7 actually have a 7 as a digit? Wouldn't 10 represent 7?

AND... Congratulations to CCCAgency! I don't care how you do it or what motivates you... 1000 of anything seems pretty impressive to me!

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

Nah. It's a reason why people shouldn't care about silly things like found counts.

It's like any other hobby: do the parts you enjoy and ignore the parts that would piss you off.

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

CCCooperAgency "found" a cache out here in Montana a couple weeks ago. I found the same cache, on the same day. However, the physical log in the cache did not show they visited, nor were any of the items in the cache on the list of things they took or left. I notified the cche owner and they deleted CCCA's virtual log. CCCooperAgnecy is just another reason we should have http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=6770936793&m=3930977814. They're obviously more interested in being famous than being real geocachers.

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

quote:

1,000 as a milestone logs is arbitrary. Is it important becasue it's divisible by 100? ... 20? ... 500?

I'm a number-nut, so my own personal milestones are based on statistics that would be meaningless to anyone else. If you don't know where I live, they'd be impossible for you to check, as well, since they're based on finding a percentage of caches within various distances of my house.

But even doing that is just a way to waste time when it's too dark to go caching. The point of the hobby is to get outside and have some fun with a GPS. And fun ain't measured by how many cache logs you've recorded compared to someone else, it's measured by whether you enjoyed the activity of finding the caches so you could log them.

quote:

I choose to use the base-7 number system because I'm sure that on some planet somewhere, the dominant species

What a coincidence, my ex was a dominate "7" who acted like she was from another planet.

Seriously folks, keep things civil and polite or take it to usenet where nobody has to care.

Now when you pick a pawpaw

Or a prickly pear

And you prick a raw paw

Next time beware

Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw

When you pick a pear

Try to use the claw

But you don't need to use the claw

When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw

Have I given you a clue ?

quote:
Originally posted by TheREALBug:

#5. My life has been personally enriched by them so bug off! (tongue in cheek) icon_wink.gif

Now, enough said - CACHE ON!

Thanks for the clarification REALBug. Being #1 means people will get after you. It is human nature. Being human myself, I took a look at the last 19 (all virtual) caches you placed. CCCA had 12 first finds and 4 second finds on those caches. There are MANY explanations for this. One is that they call you to create a virtual when they need/want a find.

WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

Ive only been at this for a little over a month so far and have enjoyed the heck out of it. I know im not as experienced of course but we went out two weeks ago and found 10 caches that were easily within a 30 mile radius of each other. Our first was logged at 1135 and our last was at 1910 that evening. Of course we werent in a rush and enjoyed all the sights along the way, but we were tuckered out after that last find. CCCooper, all i can say is, Keep up the good work and keep eating that spinach!!!

frog_and_chicken.jpg

quote:

Now when you pick a pawpaw

Or a prickly pear

And you prick a raw paw

Next time beware

Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw

When you pick a pear

Try to use the claw

But you don't need to use the claw

When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw

Have I given you a clue ?

Look for the BEAR necesities the simple BEAR necesities don't worry bout your struggle nor your strife!

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

...the Cooper Agency how they accomplish this Herculean task of acquiring so many caches in such a short period of time?

Perhaps they don't feel the need to explain themselves, but it DOES seem odd they could do so much in such short order.

I always thought they truly were an AGENCY of many people all contributing under the same name, but apparently a few people have actually had contact with these folks.

How about it Cooper Agency. How about some words from the cacher's mouth?

Ron

(73 hidden/252 found since Feb. 2001...the olden days!)

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

Getting snotty in the forums doesn't advance the hobby or the general enjoyment of others.

Let's all get back to more important things, like making fun of Magellan users.

I agree completely, besides who cares if they are legite or not? It doesn't effect me in any way, shape, or form.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

...the Cooper Agency how they accomplish this Herculean task of acquiring so many caches in such a short period of time?

Perhaps they don't feel the need to explain themselves, but it DOES seem odd they could do so much in such short order.

I always thought they truly were an AGENCY of many people all contributing under the same name, but apparently a few people have actually had contact with these folks.

How about it Cooper Agency. How about some words from the cacher's mouth?

Ron

(73 hidden/252 found since Feb. 2001...the olden days!)

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

it seems that CCCA has been a hot topic, and come up everywhere from a private meeting with another geocacher, to numerous different fourm discussions to the geocaching getogether a few weeks ago. personally I am sick of it. I know for a fact she will NOT respond because she told me so. I will however, address your concern, and hope she doesn't take offense at me for doing so.

#1: There is no "agency" in the sense of a staff of other employees. its her & her husband period.

#2: she geocachers with her kids & her husband. They don't geocache seperately then log their finds as one. Most of the time its just her & the kids anyway from what i recall.

#3: Most of the evidence people have submitted as proof, simply is misunderstanding or errors which were later corrected (like the cache she logged where there was no logbook signing)

#4: paraphrasing some she said to me... Short of showing people gas & toll receipts, bills for new tires and frequent oil changes, and pictures of my odometer before and after each weekend, what exactly WOULD satisfy everyone? When you spend each weekend driving 4-5 hrs EACH WAY sometimes SOMETIMES MORE, in the bad weather & good you realize people will believe what they want to believe.

So she logs a fair amount of locationless & virtuals. So what. Thats still a lot of real caches (and really this isn't an issue for CCCA only, since it begs back to the whole "are virtuals & locationlesses really finds" discussion.) If you've logged any yourself you're in no position to kvetch. If the plan to seperate out virtuals & locationless from the total count goes thru she'll be back under 1000 then. Again, so what?

I think people attatch way to much signifigance to her total and to totals in general. I suggest before anyone makes another negative post about her (like those obnoxious ones about "waterproof" GPS units" assuming they meant what i took it to mean) I suggest you ask yourself What is my total, and do I care about how hi/low it is? or am I doing this for the love of the hunt/getting a nice hike/going palces I've never been/the comraderie or sharing experiences with others with similar interests. Whether you think she's into it for the total or for any of the above, ask yourself why you're into it, and how her # (or anyone's else for that matter) affects you. Why does it bother you? I have yet to see any positive "proof" of any wrongdoing. I am taking hre at her word when she says it's just her, no employees, etc. I have no reason to think otherwise. What's your excuse?

BTW when Stayfloopy hits 1000 I guess EraSeek won't trust him either....

as for doing a lot in such short order it's called obsession. Perhaps even dedication. Which may or may not be healthy but thats an entirely different topic that I won't even get into.

[This message was edited by Gwho on June 04, 2002 at 07:57 PM.]

You know something, it's amazing what you can find when you are really bored. Look at what she has accomplished since then. My hat is off to anyone with 1000 or more finds. It takes planning, time, effort and dedication to reach a desired goal. One other side note, I did not look that hard, but of the original posters how many are active now?

Yow. A really musty, mildewy "golden oldie" thread.

Wow, it must have been a real accomplishment to reach the 1000 find plateau when the distances between caches involved travelling hundreds of miles instead of hundreds of feet.

I suspect that a new cacher starting out today would have to amass 10,000 finds to equal the amount of time and miles CCCooper put into those first 1,000 finds. (But check back in 6 months ... it'll probably require 20,000 by then.)