First Cachers to 1000

Thought some of you may be interested that we will probably have our first cacher(s) to reach 1000 finds before Memorial Day.

They found #900 on May 14. 11 days ago. I have found 51 in 5 months and realized that if they stopped caching at 1000 finds, and I continue my pace, I would equal them in May of 2011.

I'm jealous, dumfounded, and speachless all at the same time.

While numbers shouldn't be important...their passion for this sport/hobby IS amazing.

Congrats to CCCooper Agency!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

quote:
Originally posted by kd7mxi:

discrimination against geocachers with lower found and hid counts

Well, James... if you spent less time posting derogatory, unnecessary and negative responses to this forum and more time doing actual GEOCACHING, you too could have a higher found-count.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

quote:

ever since 9-11 the DOD dosnt give my dad enuff time off for us to go geocaching at the moment icon_rolleyes.gif

Excuses are like dirty diapers...

I KNEW you still lived at home with your parents! HA!

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

CCCooperAgency "found" a cache out here in Montana a couple weeks ago. I found the same cache, on the same day. However, the physical log in the cache did not show they visited, nor were any of the items in the cache on the list of things they took or left. I notified the cche owner and they deleted CCCA's virtual log. CCCooperAgnecy is just another reason we should have passworded logs. They're obviously more interested in being famous than being real geocachers.

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

quote:
They're obviously more interested in being famous than being real geocachers.

God knows I've been anooyed by the flourescent key chains they leave if every cache I've ever seen but as far as I can tell, they are an excellent team (married couple with two(?) kids). They leave thoughtful and complete logs in the cache books as well as post interesting and meaningful posts online. I've heard (read really) people question how they could have hit caches in states hundreds of miles apart in one day. Don't question their integrity ... question the lame locationless caches people keep dreaming up. If you mention a cache that you claim has bogus posts, please link it to the post so others can read it and decide for themselves.

Please tell me you'rre not talking about this cache.

[This message was edited by DisQuoi on May 26, 2002 at 10:16 AM.]

... (I think) the wife from CCC. They couldn't find my cache on the first go-round so I got a log report that was really annoying from them. I tried to communicate with her about it, but she really had a 'high and mighty' attitude... sort of a 'how dare you question me' approach. I particularly recall that she called me a "newbie", as if this was some sort of ultimate insult! I mean, good for them that they enjoy geocaching so much that they'll travel hundreds of miles... but she must have a waterproof GPS to carry it where I think she carries it (think about it, you'll figure it out - it has to do

with being in a perpetually bad mood!).

Didn't think about "Geocaching fraud", but I suppose anything is possible... especially with people that are just too deeply involved.

I can't verify that they actually found my cache, but judging from the back-and-forth emails I'd say that they put a lot of time and effort into finding my cache. It was bordering on obsessive behavior, actually. I mean, they could have been a lot nicer about their logs but that's why God invented the delete key right? icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by CaveDiver on May 26, 2002 at 04:04 PM.]

quote:

WHAT is wrong about having a learning dissability?"

I have heard you reference this "learning dissability" before as an excuse for your poor spelling, and for your cap locks being on a lot. What I want to know is what does a learning disability have to do with living with your parents still? What kind of learning disability do you have that would keep you from living on your own?

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I looked around at some of the cache's they have found. Give me a break.

Allot of them are locationless which IMHO dont even count as cache's.

There is multiple people using one account so from what I understand it is 4 people so they each individually have an average of 250 finds (counting the locationless).

Why dont they simply have an account for each of the finders and do it that way?

I think it is utterly ridiculous to have a bunch of different people logging finds under one account.

I know of a bunch of husband/wife teams that have seperate accounts to log their finds, or they simply log only one find for a cache that they both go on.

Some people log finds with them and their kids. Thats a team...but they dont consist of a bunch of people in different states.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

In our area we have 4 cachers with over 1200 finds between them. How different is it than this team of 4 that has 1000??? I think up in portland oregon you could find 4 with a total of close to 2000.

I suspect many, if not most, of those finds cover the same pool of caches. 1,000 unique finds is a "horse of a different color."

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on May 27, 2002 at 07:09 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Waynepdx:

I looked around at some of the cache's they have found. Give me a break. Allot of them are locationless which IMHO dont even count as cache's. There is multiple people using one account so from what I understand it is 4 people so they each individually have an average of 250 finds (counting the locationless). ... I think it is utterly ridiculous to have a bunch of different people logging finds under one account.

Yes, but there is no "written rule" against the way they operate, so unless anyone can prove that group has posted illegitimate finds, it's a non-issue and not worth getting "hot and bothered" over.

I prefer the casual approach. My 2 year anniversary in this sport is about 3 months away and I haven't even reached 100 finds yet. Of course with 2 small children, it's tough to get out and hunt every weekend, much less during the week. At this rate I should reach 1000 finds sometime in 2020.

Congrats to those who manage to reach those high counts. And to those who keep the sport in perspective and maintain an even balance between cache hunting and other important things in their lives.

-

[This message was edited by makaio on May 27, 2002 at 08:27 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Yes, but there is no "written rule" against the way they operate, so unless anyone can prove that group has posted illegitimate finds, it's a non-issue and not worth getting "hot and bothered" over.

If what you are saying is that number of finds is a "non-issue" I agree with you completely. Too bad more people don't.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

kd7mxi "MATH AND READING

i don't know math because it gives me a headache.

I can read at the college level but hate to study and read long sentences and articles."

Sounds to me like a big case of the lazies, not a learning disability. I don't like math either, hate it actually, took only that which was required to get out of high school with a diploma, and barely passed most math classes(failed algebra once, had to retake it). I don't like to read books or long articles, though I can read at a college level as well, yet I don't live with my parents. I'm a dad, with a family of my own. I haven't lived with my parents since I was a teenager.

So far as genuine learning disabilities go, I have a friend who is dyslexic, he had to take special classes to help him learn to overcome his dyslexia, but he still managed to get a two year auto-cad degree, from there he worked his way up in an engineering firm, ended up the Network Administrator. Learning disability was an obstical to work around for him, not a dead end road.

When I was in high school, I worked at Burger King, the girl that trained me when I got the job there, she had a learning disability, she had Downs Syndrome, yet that didn't stop her from living on her own, holding a job, and she was a trainer for the drive through speed team. Now sure, she probably never went on to work in some high tech job, but she didn't let her learning disability be an excuse either, she overcame.

Why are people interested in your life? I wouldn't say we are so much interested as frustrated by the foolish things you say, and when you interject saying you have a learning diability as an excuse when you are called on various things, well it makes people wonder. You say you can't type because you have a learning disability, and that is why you use cap locks so often (despite the fact you have been told over and over it is so anoying) well I know of plenty of mentally handicaped people who HAVE learned how to type, so if someone who is retarded can learn to type someone with a "learning disability" can learn to type as well. You were able to learn all that you have to learn to get a ham radio license, so you clearly can learn when you want to, so quit using a "learning disability" as an excuse, it may be an obstical, but it isn't an impassable wall.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

If you mention a cache that you claim has bogus posts, please link it to the post so others can read it and decide for themselves.

Here's the cache page, but the owner already deleted their log from May 11th (same day as mine.) Their log was very specific about what they took from the cache, and what they left in it, and none of the items listed were there when I visited the cache. They were also busy visitng other real caches (not locationless) in New Jersey that same day, not exactly the next state over from Western Montana.

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

It is easy to get up to 1000, just have 3 or 4 people with gps units in different places log some caches, and log those finds under one name Online. One person finds caches in Mich, another person finds caches in Ohio, and another person finds caches in Indiana. Then they go home and log all the finds under a single User Name.

Would be fair if each and everyone had their own User Name, dont you think????

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

quote:
Originally posted by CaveDiver:

she must have a waterproof GPS to carry it where I think she carries it

Most people would shy away from this question, all the more reason for me to ask.

Would a GPS unit need to be waterproof to IEC 529 IPX7 standards to survive in such an enviroment?

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

Would be fair if each and everyone had their own User Name, dont you think????

Only if we were really keeping score - which apparently we are not. (the way I understand it is Geocaching.com just keeps track of "experience" to help us determine who we're better off listening to.)

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

"Only if we were really keeping score - which apparently we are not. (the way I understand it is Geocaching.com just keeps track of "experience" to help us determine who we're better off listening to.)"

And it appears that the system works very well (25 finds). I am begining to think that Shakespeare was right with regards to lawyers. At least he knew when to let a character(or a topic) die. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by niskibum on May 27, 2002 at 08:40 PM.]

Nothing like blowing one's own horn.

I logged that I felt the "1000 cache" be archived.

While it's great that they made the 1K mark, to crow about it just ain't right in my book.

There are other books, of course.

-----------

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

Different people approach this game differently, but I see no reason to attack these people. My frequent contact with them has been pleasant and mutually respectful. During my brief period at the top of the finders list, almost everyone was nice to me. I realize that was during a kinder, gentler period of geocaching, prior to several controversial issues, but we need to treat these people fairly. Or, we could just let this site disintegrate into the typical rude forums that the web is cluttered with.

Congratulations to CCCooperAgency. Hopefully, next we will be congratulating BruceS and Stayfloopy when they reach a major milestone.

Peace

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

Let's all get back to more important things, like making fun of Magellan users.

Yeah, let's make fun of the .... hey, that's not right! I'm a Magellan user!

Hi, my name is Fuzzy, and I'm a Magellan user. I've been a Magellan user for five months. My last cache was 17 days ago...

warm.gif

CLARIFICATION in order:

#1. CCCooperAgency is a husband/wife with 2 small children.

#2. The Montana cache in question was NOT deleted by the cache placer BUT by CCCooperAgency themself when they realized that the incorrect waypoint was entered for THAT cache rather than the NJ cache which they DID find that date. A typo can happen to anyone. Hardly fraudulent. This was corrected within 24 hrs. and that is why the MT cache deleted.

#3. I've noticed several rude remarks & I too have had similiar dealings with the folks throwing stones at CCCA. It would appear the old adage "takes one to know one" is in order. As far as their gps being "waterproof" I know they cache in all kinds of weather, inclement or otherwise. No need to be 'anal' towards them icon_wink.gif

You're only exposing yourself on that (low)point.

#4. As far as numbers, this has been corrected and the guilty party brought to the geocaching administration's attention. Hardly sporting to allow a find for 3 months and then delete it.

#5. My life has been personally enriched by them so bug off! (tongue in cheek) icon_wink.gif

Now, enough said - CACHE ON!

quote:

MATH AND READING

i don't know math because it gives me a headache.

i can read at the college level but hate to study and read long sentences and articles.

James:

You have just informed the world that you are farking lazy, not learning-disabled. I hate doing my taxes and my kids give me headaches, so does traffic and people who CHOOSE to be illiterate so that they can collect that Stoopid check from Social Security.

I'm sorry, but if you are smart enough to pass your ham license, you should be able to hold down a job. The nimrod at the welfare office you've got convinced you're retarded must be more ill-bred than yourself.

And for crying out loud! YOU are not a Cachu-Nut... please stop posting their HUGE pic when all you type is one (incomplete) sentence! It is rude AND unnecessary...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

You know, I'm not sure if I'm jealous or curious as to how the CCCA logs so many caches.

It is obvious by their logs that there is two or more adults out all caching separately in a day and that would be the only way two responsible adults with nothing better to do and two small kids COULD log that many caches in such a short period of time....

It also seems obvious from their logs that they are doing it (Geocaching) for the score, not the enjoyment of the destination.

But it is very foolish of ALL of us (me included) to speculate and be critical of their means and methods when we weren't there and don't know the facts or what motivates them. It is RUDE to talk about others in a forum like this just as it is RUDE to talk about others behind their backs. This thread is really no different than that.

Now James on the other hand, is prime R.H. material, as there is no way to post behind his back because he hardly ever goes Geocaching (can't get his Daddy to drive him and he's probably too lazy to WALK - excuses) and instead sits around the house sucking on other people's bandwidth and making rude comments and statements with no basis in fact... of course, I could be doing that exact same thing right here, right now...

So Jeremy? Why don't you please lock-up this thread? No need for it to be self-perpetuating. Either that, or someone (the REAL bug - definitely a family member ::SPECULATION!:icon_smile.gif could invite the CCCA to respond to everyone's accusations. Oh, hey... you know? I bet they don't have time. THEY are out Geocaching! Like the rest of us should be doing this time of year.

----------

quote:
Originally posted by TheREALBug:

#4. As far as numbers, this has been corrected and the guilty party brought to the geocaching administration's attention. Hardly sporting to allow a find for 3 months and then delete it.

Maybe it took a while for the "guilty party" to recognize the problem. It's interesting that you chose those particular words to describe the cache owner.

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

The IP 67 designation specifies waterproof to a depth of one meter (3.3 feet).

It means it can withstand the normal pressure found at a depth of one meter. I don't know what the pressure is under the conditions they were suggesting.

1,000 as a milestone logs is arbitrary. Is it important becasue it's divisible by 100? ... 20? ... 500?

I choose to use the base-7 number system because I'm sure that on some planet somewhere, the dominant species has seven fingers (the fourth finger on their left hand is no longer needed for survival ... evolution, you know). Milestones for me include 7, 77, 777, and 7,777 (7, 49, 343, and 2,401 in your so called decimal system). Currently I'm working toward 77 (again, only 49 in your archaic system). After all, 77 sounds so much better than 49. See my point?

Maybe we should geocache as if we were all using a base-one system ... every find a milestone!