International Geocachers

Doc-Dean

This was touched upon in another thread and it made me think...(yes, it happens from time to time)...

How many of us are International cachers??

Defined as caching in at least 2 different countries.

What countries have you cached in?

Were there any differences from one country to the other in the type of containers or contents or other interesting notables??

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

mystats.php?userid=Doc-Dean&vopt=user&txtdata=I%20am%20Still%20Ignoring%20Stats!!&bgcol=3333ff&fgcol=ffff99

I have cached in the U.S., Canada, and UK. The cache I found in Canada was a standard ammo box so no difference there. The physical caches I found in England were Tupperware. Those in London were very small boxes (4x4x1 inches), while those further out were larger. One hide was somewhat unique. It was under a thin sheet of concrete held up by a couple pieces of wood. It looked like some scrap piece of concrete lying around. It was about 15 feet from a cell tower and the concrete was probably lying around the area. The virts were virts, what can I say?

This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Weight Man

From my June 18, 2003 answer on a related topic:

quote:
USA = 11 or 13 states

TN, HI, MO, IN, PA, VA, NJ, IL, MS, WA, OK, + a single cache at the OK/TX/NM border point.

Other = 12 or 15, depending on whether you count provinces separately

Canada (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Alberta, & Ontario)

Australia (New South Wales)

Netherlands

Sweden

Denmark

Thailand

Hong Kong

Taiwan

China

Fiji

Puerto Rico

Germany

Also placed one in Turkey (does that count for another country?)

In the process, I've accumulated 183,493.5 geocaching miles according to my personal travel bug...

I've added Utah since then, but I don't think I've added any new countries. My personal travel bug's caching mileage is now up to 214,025.39 miles.

I don't recall seeing any ammo box caches outside the U.S. (too bad, I really like them); but, thankfully, I haven't seen the accursed Gladware containers outside the U.S. either. I've never seen evidence of a vandalized cache outside the U.S., but I've searched for a few that have definitely gone completely missing. I've had three travel bugs disappear outside the U.S. along with the caches in which they were hidden.The Australian and European caches I've hunted have consistently been more challenging and well thought out than the vast majority of U.S. caches I've found. Same goes for most of the Canadian caches I've found. Fortunately, "park 'n grab" seems to be a blight confined mostly to the U.S.

worldtraveler

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on October 09, 2003 at 11:41 PM.]

quote:
I've hunted in my own state and NY. NY really isn't the US, is it?

I've heard that the the reason NYers are depressed is because they found out the light at the end of the tunnel is NJ! icon_wink.gif

mystats.php?userid=sept1c_tank&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=ffcc99&fgcol=00ff33

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

My partner and I have done two caches in Italy. One was in a red plastic egg which was about 6 inches long. It was really hard to find amongst a huge pile of boulders. The other cache was in a round plastic container used for ice cream. It was planted by vacationers from UK. We left a TB there which I think is on an island in Minnesota now! My partner HikerMike has a virtual cache in Italy which we visit every two years.

Only one in Thailand and the rest in Finland. I tend to travel a lot, but unfortunately I haven't gone anywhere else than Thailand after I discovered geocaching.

During our honeymoon in the US at summer 2001 we must've driven past hundreds or thousands of caches when we drove from NYC to NOLA and back to NYC via Jacksonville, FL.

But on every future trip abroad I definitely will hunt for local caches.

Here in Tampere I've seen logs from some US, Swiss and Swedish people, at least.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

I stand corrected! And I still love Wales -- as a principality, a nation, or part or a union...

When MU was playing and I asked who my (Welsh) friend was rooting for, he replied, "Whoever was playing against MU" I got the distinct impression of two different nations. It's sort of like the Eastern Shore of Maryland. There's been several attempts over the years to secede from MD and Virginia proper, join with Delaware to form our own state.

I'll be back to Wales in July for another go round, and hopefully will find another cache or two. icon_wink.gif

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

quote:
Oh and the UK is not a county either, it's a union of two country's a Principality and six Irish states

Wasn't sure if I would be too political, saying I was international for having cached in both Scotland and England.

I would have made the grade last weekend, but for the disastrous NF on the only Dutch cache I tried before my GPS conked out on me. icon_frown.gif

evilrooster

http://www.bookweb.sunpig.com

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

When MU was playing and I asked who my (Welsh) friend was rooting for, he replied, "Whoever was playing against MU" I got the distinct impression of two different nations. It's sort of like the Eastern Shore of Maryland. There's been several attempts over the years to secede from MD and Virginia proper, join with Delaware to form our own state.

I'll be back to Wales in July for another go round, and hopefully will find another cache or two. icon_wink.gif

MU= Manchester United football team, that's a different kettle of fish. Bet he's a Liverpool FC supporter icon_smile.gif. Hope you make it back to Wales soon, you'll find some of the best located caches here. ( Biased Mancunian living in Wales, and MU supporter) Mancunian Pyrocacher.

I burn to cache!

Norway, UK, Denmark and Czeck Republic. Sweeden still pending...

Found caches by Brazilian, and US-cachers in addition. The one by the Brazilian is one of the oldest in Norway and still going strong (GCC89).

Funny thing is, he (Rodviking) has only placed this one cache, and never registerd a find...

hbrx.

I mostly cache in the UK, but have found caches in Amsterdam, Holland (Netherlands) and Prague, Czech Replublic. The ones in Holland were a micro in a 35mm film can and the other just in a ziplock bag but in a VERY unusual location. The ones in Prague were a glass jar and a plastic soup container.

Dogastus.

quote:
Originally posted by hikemeister:

Next spring, we will be traveling in the Netherlands, France, and Germany. Hope to find at least one cache in each country, but wonder how hard this will be, since the cache pages are not in English.

Email to the appropriate hider or post a note in the forum of that particular area and ask for translations. People have done that successfully e.g. in the German speaking forum. Someone might even offer to come hunting with you.icon_smile.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

I've cached in London (can I say UK?) and Austria. The thing I noticed in Austria is that most of them were multi's and some kind of puzzle. Like count the steps at these coordinates and then use that number for part of the next coordinate. My 11 year old granddaughter, SleuthGirl, cached with me in Austria and she thought the puzzles were fun.