The Groundspeak Brown Nose Thread

Rubbertoe

I'm not following a ton of the current threads in here right now, and I haven't really looked for or hidden any caches in a little while - so I wanted to throw my own post into the mix here to entertain myself.

I just wanted to compliment Jeremy, Groundspeak, the cache approving volunteers, and all the powers-that-be on how great this site really is.

In the many months that I've been here, and much more recently in the past few months, I've seen many people who have become unhappy with the way that geocaching.com has progressed - with some of them seeming downright bitter.

While I can understand that each person will have their own reasons for how they feel - I wanted to add myself to the list of people that love this place. No crappy pop-up ads, lots of friendly folks in the forums, a fun hobby that you can do with friends and family - and an extremely well functioning database, picture archive, etc.

The administrators always seem open to suggestions, and it seems that something will be enhanced on the site every few weeks - apparently to keep everyone happy... and many of the people that they are keeping happy aren't even paying members. And as for that... $3 a month - how can you beat that? I probably lose that much change out of my pants pockets each month.

The more people that join the site, the higher the chance that people will complain about something. Like someone said, there is likely to be two vocal sides to any situation here now... Jeremy and TPTB are pretty much damned if they do, damned if they don't now. But it doesn't seem to be getting them down. icon_smile.gif

If you wanna post some kudos, please do... but if you wanna disagree and complain about something, take it to the proper thread pls, kthnx. icon_wink.gif

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

This site ROCKS.

Jeremy RULES, he's incredibly centered, fair, and reasonable.

The volunteers are greatly appreciated, they make quick work of the massive cache submissions.

Thanks for running a super site!

Good suck Mr. Snazz.. Do you need to adjust your hatband???

I got a shotgun and a rifle and a four wheel drive,

A country boy can survive -Kid Rock, Hank Williams, Jr.

I would also like to express my appreciation for those who make all this happen. I am a relatively new cacher (three months) but am enjoying this immensely.

Thanks for the site.

Thanks for doing it well.

Thanks for providing me with enjoyment for a long time to come.

Thanks for responding to questions in a timely, friendly manner.

I also consider the cost of membership cheap for what I get out of it.

Smitherington

David J. Brown

Jeremy is ok icon_wink.gif but its the community that makes this place and Geocaching what it is.

So I thank everyone.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Where else can you get so much fun family entertainment for nothing! For years we've been trying to get our kids to go hiking once in while. Now we're going every weekend. And all it costs us is a few bucks in gas and a gas station capuccino or two. icon_biggrin.gif We gladly dished out our $30 membership today.......In just the last 3 weeks, we've had way more than $30 worth of family fun. Kudos!!!

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Jeremy is ok icon_wink.gif but its the community that makes this place and Geocaching what it is.

So I thank everyone.

______________________________________________________________________________________

What??? You are sucking now, UMC??? Jeez!!!

Man, it is spreading!!!! icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Johnson's:

Where else can you get so much fun family entertainment for nothing! For years we've been trying to get our kids to go hiking once in while. Now we're going every weekend. And all it costs us is a few bucks in gas and a gas station capuccino or two. icon_biggrin.gif We gladly dished out our $30 membership today.......In just the last 3 weeks, we've had way more than $30 worth of family fun. Kudos!!!

Yeah, you may want to kiss butt, too, but:::::

You all are not a redneck like Mr. Snazz is.. He seems to have lightened up a LITTLE, but he still IS a TROLL! Keep up the good work Snazzy

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Opey one,

Quit drinking and go to bed. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Hewo edo youusknow wthat immmmmmmmmmm r=ffdrinking??p;

There's a big ol' wet kiss for ya!

I want to thank Jeremy, and all the rest too. Today I'm thanking them for the sore muskells I got. Big climb yesterday. Another 2 short hikes today. Wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for geocaching, as least not as often and as widespread. So thanks! For EVERYTHING. icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=7750916564 but it could never be said enough.

THANKS FOR ALL Y'ALL DO!!!

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

"Therapy is expensive but bubble wrap is free."

At least Markwell is finally embracing his fate of Markwelling every thread on this board. That aside, I think that Jeremy and Groundspeak have done a wonderful job with Geocaching.com , you'll not hear one complaint from me, well, until the site is down for a couple days and I run out of printed cache pages, then you will =P

Doug

I've been lurquing around here for months now, asking questions about a ton of gpsr's, and geocacning in general.

I figured it's about time that I tip my hat to the Groundspeak people (Jeremy, etc.), the Forum Freaks! (Me, etc.), and every single geocacher on the planet!

150 Countries!!! Wow! What an accomplishment! What other sport has come so far this fast? I don't know of one (but am open to suggestions ;}).

Today, 6-Novemeber-2002, is a banner day for me! I will now officially join the ranks of geocachers worldwide! That's right! Firefishe *Finally* got his first gpsr, and the best part is, I paid zip for it!

I traded it for a ham radio I owned. Both the other ham and myself are elated with our trades! :-) I now have a mint-condition Magellan MAP 330X package!

I am happy to report that I will do my first "gps-enhanced" geocache (I've been doing it from the maps only thus far) cache hunts tomorrow (Thursday, 7 NOV 2002) for the first time.

This sport has become, largely, a spiritual endeavor, just short of a religion icon_wink.gif. I have never had so much fun or satisfaction in my life from any sport, including Disc Golf (www.pdga.org) which is running a close second.

Thank you, Geocachers All! My life has changed for the better, and I have Geocaching and the Geocaching Community to thank for it!

Thanks Jeremy and co. & Community for the site!

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Stephen Brown

Traverse City, Michigan

196939_600.gif

[This message was edited by Firefishe on November 06, 2002 at 11:15 PM.]

Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

quote:
The administrators always seem open to suggestions, and it seems that something will be enhanced on the site every few weeks - apparently to keep everyone happy... and many of the people that they are keeping happy aren't even paying members. And as for that... $3 a month - how can you beat that? I probably lose that much change out of my pants pockets each month.

quote:
The more people that join the site, the higher the chance that people will complain about something. Like someone said, there is likely to be two vocal sides to any situation here now...

All of us Goecachers are different and that makes us all the same. I would just like for the members that read this to have an open mind to our opinion.

This site has no problem with obtaining members or sponsors. I'm sure it has something to do with money. The root of all evil. How many businesses or people here on this site are making a profit?

If Upinyachit didn't know or find out about N*vicache first, (our hometown geocaching site)then maybe we would pay. I am and always will go for the underdog site. N*avicache is for the geocaching sportsmen and doesn't seem to be so commercial. We will continue to use this site, and list our hidden caches on both.

The three dollar a month fee; it is well worth it. One of these days we will get around to paying it. For now we will continue to use both sites and watch them both grow.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

Yeah, thanks a lot Groundspeak! My life is a shambles. Instead of buying gas once a week, I have to buy it at least 3 times. I spend all my free time either tracking down caches or fiddling with maps, batteries, ammos cans, tupperware, M&M minis containers, and assembling little trinkets from various sources. I had to buy a kayak so I could get to water-based caches. My family vacations are centered around what destinations have the highest cache density. I don't leave the house without knowing the waypoint of my destination. I'm scheming on how I can quit my job so that I have more time for geocaching. I'm still trying to get rid of that "funny" smell in my Jeep after leaving my swamp-muck encrusted hiking boots in the back overnight after doing that 4/4 cache last month. I no longer have a rational fear of snakes, alligators, or murky brown water in remote areas. I've eaten enough spider webs to cause permanent constipation. Getting dozens of fire ant bites now seems like a normal everyday occurance. I'm trying to figure out if I can deduct a brand-new Magellan Meridian Color as a business expense. Part of my daughter's college planning involves picking an area with plenty of caches we can do when we come to visit.

Just kidding...you guys are great. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by infosponge on November 07, 2002 at 10:54 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

All of us Goecachers are different and that makes us all the same. I would just like for the members that read this to have an open mind to our opinion.

This site has no problem with obtaining members or sponsors. I'm sure it has something to do with money. The root of all evil. How many businesses or people here on this site are making a profit?

If Upinyachit didn't know or find out about N*vicache first, (our hometown geocaching site)then maybe we would pay. I am and always will go for the underdog site. N*avicache is for the geocaching sportsmen and doesn't seem to be so commercial. We will continue to use this site, and list our hidden caches on both.

Last time I checked, I think they had 2 caches listed within 100 miles of me. In reality there are several hundred. I think I'll stick with this site. They do a great job, and let me enjoy a free ride for months before I did my part and ponied up the $30. I feel it was money well spent. In fact, I feel that I got my $30's worth out of the site before I even paid it.

I’ve just got to echo everyone’s comments.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. This site is fantastic. Jeremy and ALL the volunteers need to be thanked (often).

The geocaching community is also GREAT. I think I was blessed that fatefull day in May of 2001 when I (literally) stumbled onto this site.

Of course my non-geocaching friends treat me like I’ve joined a cult or something. In fact, I think they were planning a de-programming for me. They wanted me to meet them at a ranch out in the desert, but they didn’t give me the cords so I couldn’t find it.

icon_wink.gif

Since my masochistic baby left me, I got nothing to whip but the cream.

i think it's a good thing to see this thread. So often we just see the whimpering and moaning and why'd they do this, and I am glad to be able to 'stand' up and let them know that some of us out here really do appreciate Jeremy and staff.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled ranting and raving...

icon_wink.gif

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

Yep, i whole heartedly agree,, both the site and the people around here are pretty cool and entertaining folk. Dang, i find myself hanging around here lots more than those bad ole chat rooms these days,, icon_wink.gif

Thanks to Jeremy and others for all the hard work that i know must go into running such a well orgnanized site!!!