Another useless ratio to worry about

Dru Morgan

OK, how many logs in the system do you have compared to your finds?

I am currently at 110 finds and I have 142 logs.

142/110 (carry the two, uh, you can do the math) icon_wink.gif

What does this mean? Anything besides a find is a note or a not found. Does this mean I am a good finder? Does it mean that I just don't write down all my 'not founds"? Hmmm, you decide. What are your thoughts?

My ratio = 1.29

stealyourcache.gif Serious cachers needed! www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

This is related to an earlier thread about why some people post only founds and just never post their not founds. If you have a note, is it going to change to a found tomorrow? Or, will you add a found to your log list, leaving the note as is? I know I get frustrated when I have to come home and post a not found. I see it as a personal failure. But, it is still part of the experience. I can look back with just as many memories at my not founds as my founds. And, it gives me something to look forward to. I get personally challenged when someone finds one right after I couldn't. I know that I have get out there again and work on my looking skills.

stealyourcache.gif Serious cachers needed! www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

I have 29 logs, 26 of which are finds, 2 of which are notes, and one of which is a no find.

Ratio 1.11538461538461538461538461538462

Both notes were just that - notes. One was an update to my found log stating coords may be off a little, and another was a note to say I had checked on a near cache that had been plundered and found on the road by another cacher and placed where they thought it was supposed to be.

I'll probably never log a note for a no-find. But I have decided I'll give myself 24 hours after starting to look for a cache to log it as no found. If it's that important that I find it, I'll go get some sleep and go back the the site the next day to look more.

Always proof-read carefully to see if you any words out.

What about this;

If you don't find the cache and there were others there before you who could not find it either and its expected to be stolen or removed should it be logged as a no find or a note?

______________________________________________________________________________________

Proud New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

What about this;

If you don't find the cache and there were others there before you who could not find it either and its expected to be stolen or removed should it be logged as a no find or a note?

If I was sure I was at the cache location and gave it a good long search, then used the clues/spoilers and still couldn't find it, I'd log a no find. If the owner subsequently said the cache was missing before the day I was there, I'd change it to a note. IMHO

Not that the numbers matter icon_wink.gif

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I have 153 logs, which breaks down to 60 finds, 20 not founds and 73 notes. I leave notes for maintenance visits, or to respond to comments in the logs of my caches, or other's, which is why I have so many I guess.

My ratio is 2.55

quote:
If you have a note, is it going to change to a found tomorrow? Or, will you add a found to your log list, leaving the note as is?

My notes stay notes and my not founds stay not founds. They are all a part of the history of the cache and I wouldn't dream of removing them. In fact, I get a bit annoyed when someone deletes a note or not found from one of my cache logs. Esp. if they do so because they found it later.

quote:
I know I get frustrated when I have to come home and post a not found. I see it as a personal failure.

I don't see it as a personal failure. Often its the failure of the cache owner to hide the cache well enough to keep it from being plundered. Of my 20 not founds, 1/4 of them were for caches that were not there. Most of the rest were for caches that I later found.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on October 05, 2002 at 12:21 PM.]

I have no problem posting a not found they are an important part of the game and usually more entertaining logs than a found. I figure if i get out there and start hunting and actually get away from the car the hunt is on. It deserves a post after that. There is one occasion where we drove to the "parking area" and after evaluating the conditions. Finding them wet and slippery and more rain was looming we got back in the car and left. That one i din't log at all becuse the log would have been uneventful and boring. Had we actually started out for the cache and turned back I would have logged it as a not found.

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

According to "My cache page" at geocaching.com, I have 720 logs in the system and 658 finds, so that's a ratio of 1.09.

However, Dan's leaderboard has my logs totaling 747 including 658 finds, so that ratio is 1.13.

The difference is the "notes" I leave to pages ... Each time I do a maintenance visit to one of my caches, I remove the previous maintenance note (unless it also addressed an issue/question raised by a visitor.) Dan's site retains a record of those deleted logs.

My log total also includes 19 "Couldn't Find" logs ... 4 of them were for caches that were verified as missing, and the other 15 I later returned to find. I like cleaning up those loose ends. icon_wink.gif

That brings to mind another ratio ... of the 662 caches I've attempted to find, 658 were (eventually) found and only 4 were missing:

662 caches attempted/4 missing =

.6% of caches attempted had been stolen

I'm happy to see that ratio is so low ... playing with these numbers, I also came across the useless stats that my "first-try success ratio" has been 97.1%, while my "ultimate success ratio" has been 99.4%! icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 07, 2002 at 07:32 AM.]

224 logs

138 Finds

17 not founds

6 I have gone back to find

3 were actually missing

2 were archived before I could return

1 had wrong cords on cache page which I will try again

5 are on my list to return to.

I actually have 26 logs as not founds but some of them I just wanted the frowny face added.