Nice Hiking sticks..

CCrew

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

I've never really understood their purpose. Why do people use them?

George

After basically having one of my legs replaced with prosthetic assemblies (Well, the bones), I find that it just isn't what it use to be. My trekking pole helps me stabalize myself while while doing everything from hiking along trails or creekbeds or attempting minor mountaineering feats. Sure, I could use my cane, and I've even tried it a couple times, but it just doesn't have the stability that can be found when digging the metallic tip of my trekking pole into the earth at my feet and feeling a firm grip on it. It is the most valuable piece of gear that I carry with me (Next to my water), and I will *never* go hiking or geocaching without it. That's why I use one.

Doug

quote:

George

1) Can save you from a nasty fall, especially on steep slopes.

2) Allows the use of your arms in climbing hills.

3) Makes a good probe for finding a covered cache.

4) Can be useful when meeting unfriendly dogs on the trail - usually you only need to show it to them - they understand its possible uses instinctively.

5) Wave it in front of you to clear spider webs, or push briars to the side.

6) I have a small camera tripod which attaches to the top of the stick to allow me to use it as a tall tripod by jamming the stick in soft groung or leaning it against a tree.

I make my own sticks from long broom sticks. I sharpen one end to about a 1/4 inch point, and drill a hole near the rounded end for a nylon cord lanyard.

FWIW,

CharlieP

I had to come up with a good lite walking stick quick last July while camped in Rocky Mountain NP.

A trip a local Estes Park grocery store did the trick. In the home hardware department they had several shapes of brushes. Ohe had a nice plastic handle and a tapered shank to some kind of brush I forgot what looked like. I cut off the brush and stuffed the taper down a spare old aluminum tent pole and had a nice ski pole type stick. I've perfered it every since.

I have used a walking stick for several reasons already mentioned. Here are my reasons:

It has saved me from falling into creeks by loosing footing on slippery rocks (It's always fun to rock hop with a large heavy pack on your back), chasing rattlesnakes (Or warning us in advance of them), scaring away large unknown animals from out of the bushes (We still do not know what they were...), and especially for probing around the rocks in the desert for those well hidden caches (We have come across many scorpions).

We hike alot either geocaching or just in the mountains or desert for fun. Needless to say, I have found many uses for a walking stick besides the obvious.

Geocache on!

The Geo Chasers

I mean, after all ...

You are likely to see hiking boots in church where the owner walked all the way across the street.

You see back backs at the mall and school and at work.

You see tee shirts that picture distant monuments and mountains like awards for hiking there.

Only real hikers sport a stout walking stick to announce that they are a hiker, we wouldn't want to be confused with normal people now would we?

I never Really had a walking stick untill a friend got me one for xmas this year, cuase I Hike and I now don't leave home without it...

I have used it for hoping rivers, and thorns, to stop slide outs on steeps in the winter/snow.

It helped me dig out my tires when stuck in the snow at the King Phillip Tressure Cache..

As far as personalizing it...I've seen hikers do this and liked it. So I wood burned some stuff into mine...Needless to say the friend who bought it "Not a Hiker" just couldn't understand why i did that and thought I ruined it...to each is own..

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

My grandfather gave me a hickory hiking stick years ago. It's my trusty friend on the trail...countless miles with it. It's saved me from many a treacherous fall, aides in crossing creeks, balancing on logs/rocks, etc., and it could be a weapon if a mountain lion or something decides to have a go at me. I've only one bear encounter, but that one was fortunately peaceful. It also helps to keep from putting too much stress on teh knees. It makes teh downhill trek faster...I know I cut out a good half hour to an hour thanks to the stick.

Of course if you are ever in my area and do the legendary Mailbox hike...it is mandatory...4100 feet in 3 miles!!!! By the way a cache is hid up there.

My grandfather gave me a hickory hiking stick years ago. It's my trusty friend on the trail...countless miles with it. It's saved me from many a treacherous fall, aides in crossing creeks, balancing on logs/rocks, etc., and it could be a weapon if a mountain lion or something decides to have a go at me. I've only one bear encounter, but that one was fortunately peaceful. It also helps to keep from putting too much stress on teh knees. It makes teh downhill trek faster...I know I cut out a good half hour to an hour thanks to the stick.

Of course if you are ever in my area and do the legendary Mailbox hike...it is mandatory...4100 feet in 3 miles!!!! By the way a cache is hid up there.

I have a adjustable stick wich has a "foot" that can be removed inside is a pike. this is great for going down steep slopes I can jam it in and use it as a balance point. Plus any exsperanced hiker know that the ground that looks solid is not always so it can save you from a very dangerous fall by giving you warning of, Thin Ice, loose shale. overhangs etc

More to see, More to do

quote:
I one of these sticks from ebay. It was a great transaction and a great stick. And I havent seen a better price.

I would recommend buying from this seller if you are an ebayer.

We can definitely vouch for these as well. Great sticks and super-friendly sellers. We had our personalized sticks within a week.

Once again I venture into the flames, I mean forums. Please accept this as a friendly question, asked to seek information, not as an invitation to be abused.

I have a cherry tree that grew very straight and unproductive. As it was crowding my Cedar and the productive cherry, I sent to the happy hunting ground. It would make several good hiking sticks. Does anyone know of a good source of instruction on how to make one?

Again, please no flames.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

quote:

George

Poking in snake holes where people like to hide caches.

Using the hook to hange from a barbed wire fence while looking under a bridge (Sheppards staff)

Beating back randy monkeys that jumped out of the cache at you.

Leverage so you don't sink ito 4' of snow when you didn't bring your snowshoes.

A third point of contact while climbing a steep embankent.

A hook to pull you up the embankment when the last 4' are a vertical ledge.

A hook to give you a third point of contact when the cache is in a huge tree and you can't just reach the next highest branch with your hands.

A lever to move the rattlesnake you just surposed far enough back so he doesn't bite your leg.

Something to move other than your leg so the snake bites the stick instead of you.

Something to knock wasp nests off of your house so you can be back a bit and do the job.

As a bat when you are board.

As third point of contact (see the theme here) when you are crossing a fast running stream. Either in the streambed itself of by hooking branches above for a log crossing.

To poke your geo-buddies when you find the cache and they don't.

And so on.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Jack & 1st Mate:

For some reason I can't get on this site right at the minute, but it is a good resource for making your own hiking stick: http://www.kywilderness.com/hikestick.htm

I also must state that we bought 2 of El Diablo's staffs and can't say enough good things about them! Very well crafted, aesthetically appeasing, functional in every way, etc.... icon_smile.gif

Hey Capt Jack...thanks for the plug! I would be more than happy to give advice to anyone that is interested in making their own hiking staff. Feel free to email me at JC364@AOL.com

If your interested in mine you can see them at geo-hikingstick.com

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

interesting... always kind of wondered about walking sticks. now i definately want to use 'one'.

i say, 'one', cause what's the difference between using one and two?

i recently saw at a local outdoor equipment store, sets of walking poles, two in a set. why use two? is there a 'technique' for using two?

Some thoughts on making your own walking staff.

It should be LONG enough that if you fall it doesn't poke your Nose, throat or Eyes.

Use Bicycle handlebar foam for padding, slide it on by lubricating the Staff wirh foaming shaving cream. It dries adn LOCKS the foam in place, it also soaks loose.

Installing a knob on the end is recommended, I use the shift lever handles from any auto parts store. Some of these have compasses already in them.

A second "grip area" should be inserted about 6 inches above waist level. This allows easier use when using the staff to stand up, or to pull someone out of the creek.

Tie a lanyard through the staff using 550 lb nylon Parachute line. Tie a good sharp pocket knife to it with a snapring. (or permanently affix a knife sheath).

Carry a few small survival items, a 2x3 inch signal mirror, a whistle, a BIC lighter, a flashlight. For those with skills, I recommend a flint and magnesium bar. (PRACTICE!!!)

Jeff

We did the same thing...only we bought two, from Salvation Army. I cut mine down to size and put a rubber tip on it and my hubby kept his with a point..Works good, but I have found that grabbing a stick in the woods for those tough hills and then discarding them at the end of the hike suits me best.

I wouldn't be without a staff in even moderately rough terrain, let alone rocky, steep, or wet. I have both a wooden staff, as well as adjustable Leki poles. The adjustable length Lekis are nice, but sometimes the security of a wooden staff fits the bill.

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused"

Has any one tried using one of the telescoping painters poles as a walking stick? The one I have lying around is aluminum; about 1" diameter and about 4' (extends to 7') long. One end has a handle and the other is threaded to accept the paint roller. Im thinking with a bit of creativity you could thread a hook or a basket and point onto it.

------------------------------------------------

The world is a playground. Go outside and play!

------------------------------------------------

Ah, now I can access the web site that is a good resource for making your own hiking stick: http://www.kywilderness.com/hikestick.htm

The only modification that I did to our El Diablo staffs was to add a threaded spike adapter that is also covered by a crutch tip like this:

http://www.kywilderness.com/media/stick/12.jpg

The "little pokie thing" helps a GREAT deal on steep, slick trails and will be nice for crossing creeks as well. Wished we would've had them last year when we forded a waist deep river chasing down a cache! icon_eek.gif

Hey El Diablo, you might consider adding this feature on a deluxe model.

quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Jack & 1st Mate:

The "little pokie thing" helps a GREAT deal on steep, slick trails and will be nice for crossing creeks as well. Wished we would've had them last year when we forded a waist deep river chasing down a cache! icon_eek.gif

Hey El Diablo, you might consider adding this feature on a deluxe model.

I can do that...

El Diablo

After Monday's caching 'trip' down and up the same hill, I'd be afraid of the "poky thing" getting stuck in me.

I prefer a metal tip that comes more to a cone point, rather than a spike. But, with your spike you can pick up trash.......

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Well after the winter we had here...I can see the use of the poky thing.

Might also be good to prod a critter out of the way. Although I can testify that DustyJackets is stought enough to whup a bear icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

ok... I'll hijack this post but the general topic is the same, walking sticks. I have a geek reason for wanting one, as an antenna platform.

Here's my idea. Three 2.5' lengths of wooden poles. There would be a definite bottom section with a (s)pike/pointy-thing. A center section which might not always be used and a top section that could also double as a camera mount as well as a ground-plane for a MityMouse antenna.

The top section could also be situated in my packback as an antenna pole.

Just an idea. Any one seen anything like this?

FINALLY!!! Something useful I can do with that Geography degree. :-D

I agree with the list CharlieP posted with one addition. When my daughter and I go geocaching and climb some steeper hills, we use the staffs to help each other. When one of us gets up the bank a bit, they hand one end of the staff down to the other to help pull them up. Makes it much easier and in some cases much safer.

quote:

Here's my idea. Three 2.5' lengths of wooden poles. ..... Any one seen anything like this?

I can't speak towards any of your other ideas, but at www.hikingstaffs.com you can find 3 section wood walking sticks. I don't own one so have no idea how they sturdy they are but they might form the basis of what you want to do and they also solve the problems that many express about wooden staffs ... you can fit them in your pack if desired!

I generally never hike without a staff ... they really do make the hike easier for all of the reasons already listed. I also like staff medalions ... (which would really make a neat signature item!)

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=