TN/LN/SL

I cache hunt with my kids and when they look through a cache and find there is absolutely nothing of interest, we simply TN/LN/SL. Sometimes we are trying to get to several caches in one day so we don't take the time to do anything but sign the log so we can quickly move on to the next one, but most of the time it's just either we have not found anything worth trading for, or, ahem, we forgot our trading items in the car....sigh.

So there are reasons for doing it that way, sometimes we just want to hunt and find, and that's enough.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Pretty much what BreakTrack said...

Sometimes the kids go through the cache and don't find anything of interest -- quite often it's the kids that say "Let's not take anything".

If a cache is a bit on the lean side we'll often take nothing but leave something there to hopefully make the cache a bit better.

We always sign the log book.

For us it's often more about the trip there.

Different strokes... icon_biggrin.gif

Chris -

To each their own. If people are into the hunt as their reward, and don't really care about the trade, well, that's the part of Geocaching that they enjoy, and it doesn't hurt anyone.

If you're into trading, great, but don't look down ("lame") on those who enjoy different parts of Geocaching. Other people don't have to enjoy what you enjoy, after all.

I rarely TNLN. I often TN, L my sig. item. About the only thing I regularly trade for are pins or sig. items.

My wife almost always TNLNs.

My daughter Miss Pumpkin (age 6) ALWAYS trades, even if there's nothing she wants. She'll still take SOMETHING, and put something in.

My son Curly Tiger (age 4) trades if something catches his eye, but usually just looks in the box, then plays in the mud or heads for the nearest playground.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

I suppose that cache and stash would imply some sort of items to trade, take or whatever. I wish I could afford to put some super stuff in my caches but cannot nor do I expect to find items of any special interest. What I do look for is the log book. Its like the satisfaction of finding a benchmark but usually with a better journey and more of a challenge to find.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Whats wrong with someone just going for the find. Maybe someones junk just isn't all that important. Maybe it's just being out there somewhere enjoying the hunt. I usally do not remove anything. Occasional travel bug, or polished stone. And I always trade up, and sign the log. To each there own!! Play the game your way, and we'll do it ours!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm weird I guess, or it may be the fact I only hvae 2o some finds, but I have traded and kept the finds of the caches I have gone to. I have 2 backpacks. One with all the things I have found, and 1 with my trade stuff I have bought or what have you. I'm waiting to get to 50 or so to see if I can remember which item came from what cache.

quote:
idiots

Anyone who is into geocaching for the junk you find in most caches is an idiot.

It IS the hunt.

Otherwise you might just as well go find the dollar store or Wal-mart and buy $50 worth of assorted trinkets and other junk.

Personally, I like the hunt and not what is inside but I think most children like to geocache for the goodies that are inside the caches. As a kid I was even excited to see what the prize was inside a box of Cracker Jacks. I think calling people idiots because they don't think like do is being egotistic and self centered. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Lake Tahoe Geocacher

My 8 year old daughter would say "thank you, Tahoe Joe, for defending me! Sometimes I really like looking at the goodies in the cache, and trading for them."

When hunting alone, I will very often TNLN, or take nothing, leave something to improve the cache. Some time after 100 finds, you've found most of whatever you'd want to find in a geocache, and you only trade for rare or unusual items. It can get pretty darn expensive, too, buying new trade trinkets to put in each geocache. The average cost of the items I do leave is probably about $3.00. So forgive me if I skip trading in a few caches if I'm in a hurry, it's raining, it's dark or the container is leaky.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I normally bring something to leave in a cache, but I don't always take something. The kids on the other hand are motivated by the trade. It doesn't bother me that they only want to go to see what is in there and are sometimes dissapointed by a soggy cache, at least they are out there. Better than playing PS for a few hours...

Some things are lost, some left behind.

Some things are better left for someone else to find.

quote:
Originally posted by Keychain-Gang:

TN/LN is pretty lame i think. i mean come on "yeah hiked the 5 miles and TN/LN" the only reason i would hike 5miles is to get the treasure at the end. why do you guys do that

So if hiking 5 miles is lame, what about that 37 mile mountain bike ride I did 3 weeks ago?

I hope you're not in this for the 'treasure'.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by Keychain-Gang:

TN/LN is pretty lame i think. i mean come on "yeah hiked the 5 miles and TN/LN" the only reason i would hike 5miles is to get the treasure at the end. why do you guys do that

If the 'treasure' is all you are in it for, you will probably end up bored with the sport, or you will change your mind over time. There are so many aspects of geocaching that have nothing at all to do with the contents of the cache.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"