Gladware

Most of the caches in my area (northern NJ) are in the inexpensive Gladware (or Ziploc) containers. Personally, I think they are a lousy choice. They leak, develop holes and if they are full, it's quite difficult to get the lid to seal or even stay on.

I can see using them in an urban park where the cache is likely to be plundered, but for most caches why not shell out an extra dollar or two for a decent RubberMaid container. The ones with the blue, soft plastic rim work quite well and you can get them on sale for 2-3 bucks. Save the Gladware for your leftover ziti.

At first I thought the gladware/ziplocs were the perfect cache container (cheap,hidable,easy) but I put one out a while ago and it didn't last a month before the lid was cracked. From now on I'll spend the extra $$ and get tupperware or similar.

For those that are looking for relativly cheap containers the doller store here in town has tupperware style containers for a buck a piece. My first cache was in one of these and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

bounce.gif Gloom

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I can see using them in an urban park where the cache is likely to be plundered, but for most caches why not shell out an extra dollar or two for a decent RubberMaid container.

I guess I'm one of the northern NJ cachers guilty of hiding Ziploc containers. But the reason you gave is precisely the one I had. The two parks were rather busy and I didn't think any cache would last too long before being plundered. (In retrospect, that was a bit pessimistic.) In quieter areas, ammo cans were my choice of container.

It would be silly to argue that gladware holds up as well as some of the other container types, but I have to mention that I recently checked up on a cache placed last July in a gladware container. (Sierra Bravo-01 Clinton Rd.) The cache has been directly exposed to the elements the entire time, and remains in remarkably good shape. I've seen a significant number of the white lid rubbermaid containers that have been placed much more recently with lids cracked much worse.

The lids that seem to wear out the fastest are the plastic deli/chinese take-out containers.

For my first cache I used gladware. My wife likes it because it's cheap. I like ammo cans but she figures people will dump the stuff and take the can. Go figure. Yesterday I went to check on my gladware cache and replace it with an ammo can. It had been plundered and so that was that. Gladware problem solved, though not the way I had intended.

Rubbermaid makes a line of storage containers with white screw on lids. I have switched to using these (one gallon size) on all my caches. They are water proof and durable ... no breaks even after dropping it at 30F ... they are clear of course and all contents can be viewed. What I usually do is place my laminated Geocache welcome sheet against the inside of the container making it readable from the outside. For all round general size ... it's hard to beat ... they even have smaller sizes. I can find them at "Wally World", Target and any remaining KMarts for about $2.98 each.

Cache%20Container.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Here in the desert most all the plastic stuff (any-brand) will not take the heat and have a short life span. Myself I use "Cookie-Tin", I get them at the treasure stores (Good-will, Salvation Army, etc.) the go for .25 t0 .75 all sizes (most are round) but I've gotten a few square ones with hinged lids ---- do a quick spray paint job on them and (camo-type) and your ready to go. Enjoy icon_rolleyes.gif

Mzee --- The Seeker!

Here in the desert most all the plastic stuff (any-brand) will not take the heat and have a short life span. Myself I use "Cookie-Tin", I get them at the treasure stores (Good-will, Salvation Army, etc.) the go for .25 t0 .75 all sizes (most are round) but I've gotten a few square ones with hinged lids ---- do a quick spray paint job on them and (camo-type) and your ready to go. Enjoy icon_rolleyes.gif

Mzee --- The Seeker!

I just 15 minutes ago placed a chinese takeout container cache- oops! However, it is in a spot that I am not sure will last too long, so there is the option of upgrading if it isn't plundered. I used one of the dollar store tupperware style containers on my cache that is located on the beach, and that container has held up well for 5 1/2 months. I am actually going to increase the size of the container, as it gets more visits than I expected. Hawkeye, I like that container, would work well for the beach, off to wally world! BTW, Hawkeye, my latest cache will look really familiar to you- no, not the rock! icon_biggrin.gif

I just 15 minutes ago placed a chinese takeout container cache- oops! However, it is in a spot that I am not sure will last too long, so there is the option of upgrading if it isn't plundered. I used one of the dollar store tupperware style containers on my cache that is located on the beach, and that container has held up well for 5 1/2 months. I am actually going to increase the size of the container, as it gets more visits than I expected. Hawkeye, I like that container, would work well for the beach, off to wally world! BTW, Hawkeye, my latest cache will look really familiar to you- no, not the rock! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by JoeyBob:

I just 15 minutes ago placed a chinese takeout container cache- oops! However, it is in a spot that I am not sure will last too long, so there is the option of upgrading if it isn't plundered.

One of our local cachers had a good idea: His hiding spot was sufficiently large, so he left a spare chinese food container and lid just in case one gets damaged. If it does, the next finder will, hopefully, trash-out the damaged container.

quote:
One of our local cachers had a good idea: His hiding spot was sufficiently large, so he left a spare chinese food container and lid just in case one gets damaged. If it does, the next finder will, hopefully, trash-out the damaged container.

I don't have enough room in this particular spot, but that is a great idea for future use. Thanks, BassoonPilot!

Loved the picture of the Hardy cache and agree with the ammo can conclusion. They are great for all types of caches and they are tough! My hubby, gnbrotz, hides his caches in them.

I like the plastic drink containers. If you have kids you probably know what I'm talking about when I say the Kool-Aid/CountryTime Lemonade screw-top containers. They are waterproof and durable. They only work for small caches, but they are sturdy little things and once the kids have devoured the kool-aid it costs nothing to recycle it into a geocache container.

I would love to hop on a plane to Washington just to take the Hardy challenge! icon_biggrin.gifnull

Loved the picture of the Hardy cache and agree with the ammo can conclusion. They are great for all types of caches and they are tough! My hubby, gnbrotz, hides his caches in them.

I like the plastic drink containers. If you have kids you probably know what I'm talking about when I say the Kool-Aid/CountryTime Lemonade screw-top containers. They are waterproof and durable. They only work for small caches, but they are sturdy little things and once the kids have devoured the kool-aid it costs nothing to recycle it into a geocache container.

I would love to hop on a plane to Washington just to take the Hardy challenge! icon_biggrin.gifnull