Geo-caching in Iraq.

Desert_Warrior

The one "OFFICIAL" geocache in Iraq has been archived. But soldiers are still finding caches and using GPS units. My son Army_Scout sends this letter about his latest "CACHE FIND"

Hi,

Well, I have a letter here that I have meant to get in the mail bag for a few days now. But I have just been so busy. The cool part was yesterday. We did a raid on a suspected weapons cache. We found it. Oh-boy, did we ever! To haul it all away, it took two 2.5 ton trucks, two cargo hemits, two HUM-Vs, and a 5 ton dump truck.

We captured a recoilless rifle, with about 300 rounds and a 120mm mortar tube with about 600 rounds. We also captured about 70 South African 155mm Howitzer rounds. Twelve were rigged as booby-traps and things like that. We call them IEDs, for Improved Explosive Devices. Kind of like what the Viet Cong used to do. They do not have the weapons systems to fire the rounds, so they make them into land mines and command-detonated bombs. Then they leave them on the side of the road.

The 155mm round-bombs would have REALLY fouled up someone's day. So we are happy. We probably saved a few lives by hitting that place when we did. And we let more than a few Iraqi loyalists know that we are THROUGH PLAYING AROUND! We had a 10 digit grid on the house and field where we found the cache. What we left behind, well, lets just say that our Howitzer Battery got the grid and took care of the rest. That was my exciting day yesterday.

There you have it. And we thought guns and bullets were not allowed in caches. Now I can see why the one "OFFICIAL" cache was archived.

Signed the log, took the weapons and bullets, sent several HE Howitzer rounds after we left!.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Its great to hear stories from our men and women overseas, especially when they are positive. All I hear from the news stations are negative. I hope your son finds many more caches like the one you posted and stays safe during his tour. The ranking needs to go up a bit for the cachers in Iraq, like 10/10. I don't say this often but God bless your son and those like him.

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

quote:
The one "OFFICIAL" geocache in Iraq has been archived.

Actually I did approve a http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGXJB&Submit6=Find in Iraq earlier today. Hopefully nothing will occur to require the archiving of this one. Cache maintenance was the only obstacle to approving this one. I'll watch it to be sure it's been addressed.

erik - geocaching.com admin

Erik - having been one, most military people are reliable. If he says he is there, he is. However, "STUFF happens". And life in a combat zone can change quickly. I think you did just right... approve it, but monitor it too. Anything can happen!

My best to you as always. Still envy your LAND ROVER, but my AM General postal jeep is coming along!

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

Word comes down today that they will all (not all at once) will be given a 2 week mid-tour leave. My wife is overjoyed and hopeful. I am not so sure. Worst thing I can think of is to come home, get relaxed, then needing to FORCE yourself to go back for another 6 months.

James is a grown man now, I can teach him nothing more. I am waiting for his decision, and will support it no matter what.

LATEST PHOTO.

We thank you all for your thoughts. So glad the news is finally starting to get it - 67% of the Iraqis love us. Many of the other 33% are part of the problem.

May they all come home safe!

El Paso, Texas.

I didn't make it to Iraq, but I spent February through July in Kuwait. There was a single cache there, but I was a little bit afraid of looking for it. I'm just not that trusting. I was afraid that it could have been tampered with and perhaps booby-trapped. As, I'm sure, many of the soldiers in Iraq will tell you, this is a constant fear when searching sites. As a DoD employee and retired US Army NCO, I will always support our troops, but I'm not too sure about placing the temptation to mess with unidentified items before the troops, or others in that part world.

Madog "Discover of America, ca 1169"

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Source: Frank Zappa

I left a cache in Northern Iraq, As Sulaymaniyah area, when I was there. I will officially post it when things cool down but if you're in Iraq and want to hit it, e-mail me for the coords.

"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there,

Eighty are just targets,

Nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one,

One is a warrior,

And he will bring the others back."

Hericletus, circa 500 BC