Uploading pictures

HeroJay

Help!

Is there any rules (size of pcture) for uploading pictures to the cache report?

I reported a find, I went back and tried to upload a picture but I keep getting the the "refresh" white page. I've tried from 2 different computers..

Any ideas?

Thanks

I use a free program called Easy Thumbnails to create the smaller pictures needed for upload to the GC site. You can get the program at the link below:

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

Great program and very easy to use! You can make the size adjustments on the fly and it will show what the final size of the file will be before you actually have it make the thumbnail.

Good luck! DBPX3 icon_cool.gif

I use a free program called Easy Thumbnails to create the smaller pictures needed for upload to the GC site. You can get the program at the link below:

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

Great program and very easy to use! You can make the size adjustments on the fly and it will show what the final size of the file will be before you actually have it make the thumbnail.

Good luck! DBPX3 icon_cool.gif

Make sure you crop unnecessary parts of the photo, then save it as a low quality JPEG. It sounds like you're saving it in TIFF or BMP format. A 6 meg JPEG would have to be VERY large pixelwise. I have a 2.1 MPxl digi-cam. I import it to Photoshop, cut the image size in half by resizing, crop out what is not necessary, and save it as a low quality JPEG. Even for large pics, it is usually 70kb or below but still looks decent.

rdw

HeroJay - you're probably overwhelmed with the responses, but I thought I'd add in my specific recipe (above).

Pictures off my Canon S-20 camera are 2048x1536 pixel JPGs and about 2.2MB in size. In my software of choice (ACDSee) I resize to 640x480 and then do a "Save As" to a new filename, to preserve my original shot. When I "Save As", there's an "Options" button where I can slide a lever to choose the quality in percent. I use "75%", but on some software the slide is just labelled with "High quality", "Medium quality" etc. 75% is about medium, I think.

The resulting picture size varies from 75KB to 98KB for me, dependent on the amount of image detail in the shot. I also experimented with a conversion to 256-shade greyscale, but that only saved 3-4KB in the JPG filesize when I tried it. It's possibly to compress an 800x600 and get it under 100KB, but it looks worse than a crisper 640x480 at higher quality settings.

I also found that uploading is NOT reliable using Netscape 4.7, so I switch to Internet Explorer for this task icon_frown.gif

Good luck & happy uploading!

HeroJay - you're probably overwhelmed with the responses, but I thought I'd add in my specific recipe (above).

Pictures off my Canon S-20 camera are 2048x1536 pixel JPGs and about 2.2MB in size. In my software of choice (ACDSee) I resize to 640x480 and then do a "Save As" to a new filename, to preserve my original shot. When I "Save As", there's an "Options" button where I can slide a lever to choose the quality in percent. I use "75%", but on some software the slide is just labelled with "High quality", "Medium quality" etc. 75% is about medium, I think.

The resulting picture size varies from 75KB to 98KB for me, dependent on the amount of image detail in the shot. I also experimented with a conversion to 256-shade greyscale, but that only saved 3-4KB in the JPG filesize when I tried it. It's possibly to compress an 800x600 and get it under 100KB, but it looks worse than a crisper 640x480 at higher quality settings.

I also found that uploading is NOT reliable using Netscape 4.7, so I switch to Internet Explorer for this task icon_frown.gif

Good luck & happy uploading!

I got the picture to 88K - thanks!

BUT...when I view the picture on the website the resolution is horrible.

Please check it. The picture site is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=30188&L=251374

If that doesn't work the website of the cache is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6921

The log date is 3/25/02 - HEROJAY

Sorry to keep this thread running but geeesh! I'd like to post the pic...

Thanks for your continued assistance.

quote:
Originally posted by HeroJay:

Uhm.. It looks fine to me icon_smile.gif

I've noticed that when you first upload a picture, it looks horrible. But, if you go and look at it later, it's fine... Strange but true, for me anyway icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

frac-tri.gif

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

quote:
Originally posted by HeroJay:

Uhm.. It looks fine to me icon_smile.gif

I've noticed that when you first upload a picture, it looks horrible. But, if you go and look at it later, it's fine... Strange but true, for me anyway icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

frac-tri.gif

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

quote:
Originally posted by Kmunshower:

I have read the replies and reduced it to 500k, It uploads until it's half way done then I get a page not found [:{] error message. Is the site having trouble??? Any suggestions?

500k is still WAY too big, the pics have to be under 100k. No problems then uploading.

RedShoes.jpg