Did you (have to) kickstart geocaching in your area?

Gert

Hi fellow cachers,

When I first came across geocaching in January 2001 there was not a single cache in my country (Austria, Europe). Until June 2002 there were around 10 caches in Austria but none even close to my hometown (Graz, Steiermark - it's in the southeast, just in case you look now at the country's cache map)

In July 2002 I started to place some caches (six up to now) to get the whole thing started. After a few weeks I got the first "hit", now there were 7 successfull finds on 5 of the caches.

Another cacher has placed two caches about 35 km (22 miles) away. Looks like I've got the stones rolling. icon_smile.gif

I mail every cacher that logs one of my caches with the usuals question (Is the cache ok? Did you like it?) but also ask him if he doesn't want to place his own cache(s). The answer is usually 'yes' but then nothing much happens. Or am I just too impatient?

When I got started, I thought Geocaching would be an obscure game that no-one over here in the UK would have even heard of, let alone play.

As it turns out, when I checked out the site (about seven months ago now) there were loads of caches within travelling distance.

Now there's literally thousands across the UK. I've still placed two, in locations people would like to go to.

There's no harm in placing caches, even if very few people go to them to begin with. Then you've got the pride of being the first in your area!

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

When I started the nearest was over 100 miles away and there were fewer than 140 caches worldwide. So, I placed the first two in the region and waited a while before anyone found them. Finally someone else hid one not too far away and I could go seek. Lots of fun ever since.

quote:
Originally posted by Gert:

I mail every cacher that logs one of my caches with the usuals question (Is the cache ok? Did you like it?) but also ask him if he doesn't want to place his own cache(s). The answer is usually 'yes' but then nothing much happens. Or am I just too impatient?

The situation is almost the same here in Finland. All geocachers do want find caches, but only few of them will place new ones icon_frown.gif But i guess the situation is pretty much the same in every country. My personal goal is to place about 10 regular/micro caches plus few virtual caches, few webcam caches and several locationless caches.