Geocaching statistics updated

Guest Moun10Bike

In my cache hiding, I consider a low number of hits, or even better, _none_ as a figure of merit. I do, however own some caches that are quite easy, and some that are easy in summer & tough in winter. So how do you judge quality?

no worries - dave

Guest Gliderguy

I agree that many hits may just mean it is an easy cache for people to get to, but popular, by definition, means people do/use/consume something more than average!

short of having a feedback loop of finders rating caches and the resultant potential for hurting someones feel-goods, I really dont know what the best solution is.

The original gist of the question was who were the most prolific/best hiders. I was trying to find a way to express how much a hider might have contributed to the game without just counting raw caches and without soliciting too much extra data. As you have pointed out, my proposal has some flaws in it, but I believe it could give seekers another useful piece of information.

anyway, these statistical numbers could be used both ways as was previously suggested, maybe people seek out caches that arent visited often when they are provided with this info.

Once you see a cache that has been hit either often or rarely (depending on your tastes) then delve into the previous finders logs on the geocache website to decide if you want to go after it.

On a related issue:

I realize some people dont want to read those logs because they might have spoiler content in them. Is there any way for a finder to encrypt only part of their log so that generic great cache / fair cache info can be unencrypted, and any hints to the location/contents be incrypted? I recently went back and encrypted one of my reports because it had a spoiler in it very similar to the encrypted clue left by the hider.

Guest Markwell

How about caches hidden per day for a user instead? It's one of the suggestions I made above for finds per day, just uses hides instead.

I also gave an answer to your partial encryption question in the other forum icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Markwell

How about caches hidden per day for a user instead? It's one of the suggestions I made above for finds per day, just uses hides instead.

I also gave an answer to your partial encryption question in the other forum icon_biggrin.gif

I have been touring for a while so I'm just catching up with the forum for the last month. I have hidden 14 active stashs,13 in Oz and 1 in Malaysia. Plus one archived in Oz. Great stats Moun10Bike - keep up the good work.