Some pre-tweak questions on pending caches (trying to see if I am headed for some disapprovals)

Zentreri

I've got two caches ready to go, but before I plant them I have a few questions first that I'd like to get out of the way rather than get an immediate disapproval. I'm looking for opinion and if the cache approval guys would put a comment in here too that would be appreciated.

I always stick to the "it's all about the geocaching" sentiment.

1. I have a themed cache that features a photo from a camera found in the woods (like the blair witch project). I want the developed photo to have a smear of blood on the lens obscuring something in the picture that would be a type of clue. The pic is not intense in any way and the schmear would not be too bloody, just a red filter effect in drips on one side. It's hard to say without seeing the pic of course, but in principle, would this be considered too uhh, graphic for the site? (I think it will look pretty cool).

2. I have an idea for another cache that requires that freeware software (not shareware, not adware, there are no ads on the site, this is free stuff baby!) be downloaded to help in decrypting a puzzle that leads to the cache. I probably will not even post the link to the software as part of the puzzle would be figuring out what software needs to be used based on very simples clues. Even if the official freeware site for this stuff ever goes down I checked and the stuff is on enough public domain download servers that the cache would still be do-able. Only drawback I can see is it may limit the cache to windows users (of which we are the majority, but you Mac and linux guys have Windows friends right?), but there is no other ports of this program.

Would this be any reason to disapprove the cache?

The blood thing may get some upset, not me, but some. You can also try to do it in a funny way, such as the way South Park did the halloween show a couple of years ago. They used spooky vision, all scenes had pics of Barbara Streisand's mug shot in it, was sort of sunny. You could put a monsters hand over it with a whats he got thing on it or something similar. This could also keep any of the really sensitive police over achievers from investigating your cache as a crime scene! They already have alot to do without being led astray (I do really like and appriciate police)

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

If you're looking for the effect of a photo taken by accident of a particular scene you could just use an arm or a tree out of focus. If it's during the day you could use lens flare to obscure whatever it is you want to hide. A night scene you could use your hand to make a bright spot thus throwing the background into darkness by fooling the camera's automatic mode.

Depending on the circumstances at night, you could place a mirror at the spot you want to obscure and it will cause a flare from the flash. Put a red gel over the mirror and it will be a red flare.

You could theme it in a way that the photo had already been taken and one of the hunters had taken this photo into the woods. Your cache page would relect the bloody photo had been found, but it had been torn thus obscuring the important part of the photo--and the hunter is nowhere to be found! Or instead of torn, a bloody thumbprint.

As for actually getting approved, I don't see why not as long as it isn't graphic.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zentreri:

2. I have an idea for another cache that requires that freeware software (not shareware, not adware, there are no ads on the site, this is free stuff baby!) be downloaded to help in decrypting a puzzle that leads to the cache....Only drawback I can see is it may limit the cache to windows users (of which we are the majority, but you Mac and linux guys have Windows friends right?), but there is no other ports of this program.

Probably not a reason to disapprove, but no, I don't have any Windows friends. I (Kite) am a lone Mac lunatic, and everyone else I know uses Linux exclusively. We could not do your cache. It would make us sad, if it appeared on our nearest list and stayed there forever. Okay, it'd also make us sad if a boat-only cache or a 5/5 appeared on our closest page, but we'd get over it. We'd get over this, too, but it'd be nice if it were a cache that an even greater percentage of people could do.

I don't know how integral this particular piece of software is to your cache idea, but there are many ways to make a puzzle that wouldn't be platform-specific. Unless the software is just so cool you can't bear not to use it, I'd wistfully ask you to reconsider.

quote:
Originally posted by Zentreri:

2. I have an idea for another cache that requires that freeware software (not shareware, not adware, there are no ads on the site, this is free stuff baby!) be downloaded to help in decrypting a puzzle that leads to the cache.

This would certainly up the difficulty level, like requiring a boat or whatever.

What's the nature of this software? You could email me. Maybe I can come up with an idea so more people could play.

CR

72057_2000.gif

There seem to be a few blair witch caches on here already that have been approved, as long as the guts aren't flying in your picture.

I often use software to figure out waypoint re-direct caches with greater accuracy. Nothing new there... As for Macs, it would be great if you could find cross platform software. I guess it depends on what it is..