Geocaching names & team names.

Since I spend a better part of the summer in the High Mtns. of Colorado, and have a great respect for the Native Americans and their love of Mother Earth.

I adopted a place name and its meaning that comes from the Kiowan Indian Tongue.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

This question came up at the Texas Challenge and we all enjoyed the subject.

I'm a huge fan of Kevin Smith's (Silent Bob)work and my handle:

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans, is a made up word used by Jason Mewes (Jay) that means "I'm Kiddin."

Most people from 18-45, recognize the reference, but most of them haven't sat through all 5 hours of "An Evening with Kevin Smith," to have heard the definitions of the personal language that the character Jay uses.

Snoogee Boogees,

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

My friends and I collectively make up the "5-star cache team", simply for our uncanny ability to make the easiest 1/1 into a 5-star difficulty cache.

Budophylus

San Antonio, TX

5-star cache team member (because we can make the easiest 1/1 into a 5-* difficulty cache)

What started all of this? Well, I said to my friend: "I'm bored. Can't we find a new sport?" Now, hundreds of caches later...

Mine is based on one of the reasons I got my GPS for in the first place - to mark patches of edible mushrooms so I can find them easily in later years. When I picked up an interest in geocaching, I noticed some similarity -- sort of like edible caches placed by nature (season and weather dependent).

-- If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If life is less kind, grow mushrooms.

I started using curt!s in the spring of 1996. As a matter of fact, I think this is my first newsgroup post using that name. I picked it because it is my name with one minor change. I also picked it because Internet searches didn't turn up anyone else using it and, at that point, I had never seen anyone use ! in place of an i. I thought that I was sort of clever. icon_rolleyes.gif So, now when I meet on-line people in the off-line world, they can call me by my either name and it sounds the same (I suppose).

The thing that sucks... ! is an illegal character for usernames in a lot of e-mail systems, message boards, etc. So, sometimes I have to substitue 1 for !. And the other thing that sucks... Pink, the pop singer that I don't care for (as a matter of fact, I don't care for most pop music)... at any rate, Pink is now going by P!nk. This seriosly pisses me off. By nature, I'm not a mean person, but... I hope that she either goes back to Pink someday soon or that she joins the fate of those that came before her (Debbie Gibson, Toni Basil, Nena, Meredith Brooks, Stacey Q). I'm not too bitter, am I?!?

Mine comes from one of my favorite songs by Sonic Youth. People don't always understand it. I've gotten some sort of "rrawrrrr!" emails in response. It can also be awkward to introduce myself to fellow cachers who might think it's something rude. But it is handy in that I can be Sugar for short and I can call my husband Mr. Kane. Fun for the whole family.

My name comes from my dog Rusty, who as you can see by my avatar is a miniature dachshund, he in turn got his name from Rusty Wallace, ok I like Nascar about as much as anything, so that is how Rusty, got his name, and I got my geocaching name.

Plus I wouldn't mind going to a get together and everyone calling me Rusty, you get used to it.

RW Da Man!!!

CHS#1

When we started caching we were "Dave & Nicky", but last year we adopted three children and wanted a team name that the kids would like.

The Wombles was a children's program on the BBC in the 70s and 90s. The Wombles are small furry animals who collect trash on Wimbledon Common in London, and then make things out of it.

It just seemed to fit the cache in, trash out principle.

Dave

Last Lap Gang replies to our current three Greyhounds and Borzoi and it is the old name of our Greyhound Rescue organization (Last Lap Greyhound Connection) we used to run. We now have less responsibilities and love fostering mixed breed dogs. All the great neat things of helping a dog in need without the business end of having that second full time non profit non paying job we used to have.

Might I (Mrs. Last Lap) add that our slogan used to be "Make Your Lap a Greyhound's Last!" Now it's "Make Your Lap a Homeless Pet's Last!" Not quite the same pun, but you get the point!

Wags, Russ & Erin

[This message was edited by Last Lap Gang on May 15, 2003 at 09:13 AM.]