What makea a good cache prize?

I've posted this list in several threads, but here it is again. Things I've placed in my own, and other people's caches. It's not complete, but it gives you an idea as to what's possible without spending a lot of money. 90% of the items cost less than $3.

Small US flags

US flag pins

modeling clay

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

bags of toy soldiers

pocket knives (um I mean tools)

water colors

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

Music CD's

Blank RW CD's

Cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers & other decals

mini sewing kits

maps (hiking & road)

software

travel packs of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

bags of balloons

velcro fasteners

interesting buttons

foreign money

rolls of film

cigarette lighters (I don't care what they say)

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies (packs of paper clips, thumb tacks, Post-Its, etc...)

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

packs of Armor-All & Rain-X wipes

survival whistles

Geocaching.com hats, pins, decals and compasses

Wheresgeorge bills and stamps

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

I like to take signature items and will often pick up either cute (especially figurines or toys from animated films) or useful items. One of my favorites is a little stuffed alligator. I later sent the person who left it a pic of it with other cache finds and got back a fun story about how it ended up in the cache. It was one of many that was used to fill a car as a joke after a wedding.

I tend to leave signature pencils and misc. things such as mini nature books or stickers. I stocked up my one cache with nice nature books and nature oriented items. My partners tend to leave little blown glass bugs and animals that they picked up in bulk at a local store. We have seen some people comment positively on those. That is almost starting to be a signature item for them.

pokeanim3.gif

I'm not big on cache items. I take 'em and leave 'em but it's finding the cache that floats my boat.

However, I do love unique items that have character. For some reason broken pocket watches, antique marbles, old coins, vintage lighters... anything that's not new or was store bought specifically to place in a cache.

I found some gasoline ration coupons from the 1940's a few months ago in a cache. Very cool.

My brother's cache items are very cool. His family is involved in historical reanactments and he's always leaving arrowheads, bear claws, small carvings (like feathers carved from deer antler).

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."