Number of "finds" on your caches?

I was just playing with the various numbers available to us in our little activity and began to wonder how many people have logged visits to my various caches.

I added up all the vistors and found there were 362 logs on my 20 caches. Of course, two of mine have 0 logs on them, and one of my newest has only 1, but it was still interesting to see how many visits my caches have had.

The representation of such numbers could be caches/visits I guess, so mine would be 20/362. This number is volatile as it will change after each cacher log in the future, but its current as of today.

Some of my caches are virtuals, there is a multi, etc, but I didn't break them down any further as I did not have any interest, I just wanted to know how many people had gone to a cache location I had taken the time to set up.

Obviously this is just for fun as I am sure there are numerous individuals with far more caches and far more visitors to those caches than I have, I'm just interested in seeing what other's numbers might be, and maybe in the differences in various areas of the country, if any.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

If you're looking to come up with some sort of stat that would have any meaning at all, you'd have to take into account the length of time each cache has been in place as well. For example, if you're looking at just a cache-to-find ratio, every time you planted a new cache that ratio would go way down immediately, so your stat really doesn't mean anything. But if you factored in the length of time a cache has been in place, you could derive a stat that actually means something.

In other words, a find per cache stat would be pretty useless, but a find per cache per month stat might actually produce meaningful information.

Just a thought.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

I also have wondered about finds. And to carry the stats one step further, what is the experience factor of the finders (total number of finds for each finder.

I have 5 caches...one is brand new with no finds so I won't count that.

#1, placed 5-6-03, 17 visits, average finds per finder=393.

#2, placed 5-14-03, 14 visits, average finds per finder=420.

#3, placed 5-22-03, 9 visits, average finds per finder=453.

#4, placed 6-26-03, 16 visits, average finds per finder=273.

The most distant home address of a cacher to visit one of my caches (#1), is Wisconsin. That person has found 2110 caches and posted a DNF on that cache!

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

[This message was edited by sept1c_tank on August 08, 2003 at 09:25 AM.]

I agree that # of visits should be a function of time. To be further anal retentive, I also excluded my event cache when calculating totals and I also ignored the numerous owner notes for maintenance visits and responding to questions from other cachers. For archived caches, I calculated the number of months from the date placed to the date archived.

I have 17 caches that have been in the field for a combined total of 116 months. These caches have received a total of 373 visits, ranging from 3 (on my newest cache, placed last weekend) to 70 (for my oldest cache, which I adopted). That works out to an average of 3.21 visits per month. The urban micros get hit far more frequently than the remote hikes in the hills. The four caches which I consider to be my best hikes have been logged 6, 7, 9 and 6 times since I placed them on April 26th. But I place an urban micro in June and it has 20 finds on it!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Now see, once again you guys take something perfectly simple and make it waaaaaaaaaay too complicated...LOL.

I was just saying I found it interesting to look back and see how many total visitors my total number of caches have had over their total lives.... regardless of type (although I agree I'd have not included any event caches...lol).

I was doing it for fun, NOT to produce any

quote:
meaningful
stats... icon_rolleyes.gif

C'mon, just go with the flow.... icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I have a bunch out there, so it will take me a while to figure this out. Total finds per cache isn't a great stat, because some have been out two years and some for two months.

Finds per month is probably a better stat.

Give me a little time and I'll post my stats.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Hahahahaha, man, is this place anal or WHAT????

Really, honestly, just for fun, I just wondered how many caches others have and how many visitors they have total, just an idiotic exercise to see a totally unimportant statistic.

I understand some caches have been out longer than others, some are more complicated than others, some require scuba gear, some are multi's, some are virtuals, some are in terrain you need a helicopter to get through while others are park & grabs!!!!

The point of this particular exercise was just to illustrate what your current cache/visitors total is, that's all, nothing deep, nothing complicated, nothing that is even a valid number to use as some kind of competition, just a simple snapshot in time. Heck, mine went up by two visitors since I posted this previously this morning, so it is obviously a very animated statistic AT BEST.

I get the feeling if I asked what color everyone's GPSr is I'd get answers that are 400 words long and give the complete history of paint schemes developed by Garmin and Magellan over the course of their corporate histories, while my answer would be -Silver-...LOL, LOL, LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

OK while the family was watching TV, I came up with the following:

I've placed 49 caches (not including event caches).

Here is the breakdown:

945 total finds / 49 caches = 19.2 finds per cache.

BUT, my caches have been out there at total of 561 months, so it looks like my caches average 1.6 finds per month.

My most popular real cache, by far (judging from the number of finds) is Swamp Thing, with 52 finds. This surprised me. It's a nice enough cache hunt, but not close to the most interesting of my caches.

I wonder if the cache name has any bearing on which caches people choose to search for. I guess "Swamp Thing" sounds cool to people? My Billy E 9/11/01 cache is in a far more interesting and popular area and has been out two months more, yet it has close to half the finds of Swamp Thing. And my extremely lame (IMHO) Vile Vial cache has nearly as many finds as Swamp Thing.

That may be a topic for another thread. "Does the cache's name influence your decision whether or not to look for that cache?"

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 09, 2003 at 04:26 AM.]

This is easy for me as I have one cache out. 32 visits in 2 months. It`s called Haunted Hospital, maybe the title draws them. Of course it`s new, so after the initial couple of months it`ll be interesting to see the monthly totals.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

OK, here's a variation on the theme. How many "loved it, beautiful site, never been here" entries vs. "found it" (i.e. boring). The numbers game, whether you place it or find it, ignores cache quality. I think we should assign a score of 5 to each entry that includes the words "loved it", 4 for "nice".......

I'm joking, but I haven't tried to find a number of caches in my area because they are in boring locations. I wonder how much that affects the numbers?