Caching During Times of Threat

VentureForth

A report just headlined on the Drudge Report says that the Iraqis are using GPS coordinates to help drones target US cities.

If this is true, I suppose we can safely assume that there will be some GPS scrambling going on.

How will this affect caching, and how can one know if the signals are scrambled (ie: the switch is flipped after I've already hopped in my car, and there is nothing to baseline my coordinates from)?

40-50' is a tough enough radius to work with. I can't imagine 'using the force' within 300-500' or more...

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

[This message was edited by VentureForth on February 24, 2003 at 12:52 PM.]

I would be more worried about them driving a big truck with a dispenser mounted in the back.

Spraying from an aircraft is very inefficient. The wind carries the stuff away before it hits the ground. Which is why we use munitions that explode near the ground the spread the "stuff".

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

Just a little coincidence im sure but, last Saturday we were heading down the highway to find our 6th cache for the day. GPSR showed 5.24 miles to target, then 5.22, 5.20,,,, all of a sudden, SHAZZAM! Cache showed to be 18 plus miles away. The next thing i see is the "lost satelites" display and the unit is reaquiring. We're on a clear road with no overhead obstructions when this happens. Worked perfectly before and after this incident. Could have been the GPSr, but this was the first time thats ever happened. Really weird!!!!

BTW, this was about 1350 hours CST, on 2/22/03...

The only thing that I could think of them blocking is the capability to fly the GPSr.What I mean is that if you had it on a drone it would get random wrong signals to steer it off course(Civilian).That is also where the accuracy is involved,in trying to use them for ammetuer flight,and rocketeering.Biologicals can be spread in the atmosphere by a guided or non guided rocket.It dose not matter that it gets blown around,that would be the key to getting it to various area with little detection.This is where we just have to be more aware of our enviroments and surroundings as to what is going on.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN* http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

I am an expert marksman just try flying one drone over me I don't need a GPSr, a Map, or a compass.I hope not to excite panic...just that you be aware.My mind is as stable as a Rock,for he is my Rock...Do not rely on technology too much..we all tend to do that a little..Rely on good ole common sense.If it looks like **** and smells like ****, it probably is...****.The way that I look at the spin on this one is that when GPSr's are outlawed only Outlaws will have them. Oil wells, I can Refine my fields on that subject later.

The missles that they have have a range of 96 miles,how high was the space shuttle? 69 miles.Most of the countries over there are less than 96 miles away,so are our forces????What kinda range do they really need?

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN* http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

A report just headlined on the Drudge Report says that the Iraqis are using GPS coordinates to help drones target US cities.

I hope you don't believe everything you read. Like just about everyone else has said, they don't need to rely on modern electronics when they have plenty of kooks that will fly the plane where ever they need it.

CR

72057_2000.gif

It's just more "Chicken Little" talk. Iraq developing weapons is a far cry from them even coming close to being able to deploy it. I'd first want to know if they've used it in the safety of their homeland. Have they? Nope. You really think they'd risk trying to smuggle a drone into the US and risk exposure? Not likely. In fact, it'd be stupid.

If anything 9/11 should have taught us is the fact terrorist are going to use the most low key methods available. Like smuggle a few aeresol cans of gas in and release it in the subways of NY. The fear that would cause would cripple the city.

GPS controlled drones are by far too high tech and risky to be remotely a viable threat.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

If anything 9/11 _should_ have taught us is the fact terrorist are going to use the most low key methods available. Like smuggle a few aeresol cans of gas in and release it in the subways of NY. The fear that would cause would cripple the city.

CR

Good point. We are wound very tight here. The WTC Bombing, OK City Bombing, and Pan Am 103 should have taught us a lot, but we ignored those lessons.

I still want to Geocache as much as possible, but weather and work are taking a serious toll on that activity.

I dont' know much about satelite signals, but I don't see how they can scramble them now, it seems too many things rely on them. Surveyors are using them, police are using them for tracking, and in Minnesota there's a town that's turning all of their street addresses into coordinates for the fire and police departments. Anti-theft devices in cars.......not to mention the aviation industry.

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

Geez people, I was just stating what was on the news and that our government was having official press conferences to discuss these drones and how they themselves have the same SIMPLE technology. Never was it said that they were smuggling the drones themselves into our country. It was stated that they were taking them apart into such small pieces that there was no way to tell the pieces were part of an actual drone. Then once all of them were in the country they were reassembled. I guess I should have remembered that geocachers obviously have more knowledge of what's going on than our government. Suppose I should just read here and forget watching CNN from now on. I personally keep up on current affairs. I'm sorry if some of you don't see the need to.

quote:
Originally posted by L.O.S.T.hoomdorm:

Geez people, I was just stating what was on the news and that our government was having official press conferences to discuss these drones and how they themselves have the same SIMPLE technology. Never was it said that they were smuggling the drones themselves into our country. It was stated that they were taking them apart into such small pieces that there was no way to tell the pieces were part of an actual drone. Then once all of them were in the country they were reassembled. I guess I should have remembered that geocachers obviously have more knowledge of what's going on than our government. Suppose I should just read here and forget watching CNN from now on. I personally keep up on current affairs. I'm sorry if some of you don't see the need to.

Meaning no disrespect, our government is saying a lot, and most of it is in support of a war to oust someone that I'm frankly am not sure can do much harm to us right now. I, like a lot of others, question the timing of this war. Bin Laden is still out there, we still have troops in Afganistan, that clown in North Korea is acting up (and HAS WMD that can reach us), the economy sucks, and we are spoiling for a fight with someone who might be able to harm us, instead of dealing with the issues right in our faces.

Right now, finishing my To Do list for this week, and getting the wife out to Geocache are foremost in my mind. It helps me stop worrying about how much more value is going to disappear out of my retirement account, how the job search is going to end, or whether our child is going to be born healthy and happy. Those are my current affairs, and they are directly impacted by the administration's desire to push the rest of the world around to get what it wants. The thing I can do most is to go about my daily life (Tom Ridge said that was okay), and Geocaching is part of that. So....... happy caching

quote:

The talk of the Iraqi drones is true. It was all over CNN the other day.

---------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

http://www.kjjeep.com

Then it must be true. Is that the sky I see falling? The first line of defense against being manipulated is noticing when it is happening.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Man, some of you guys need to put the GPS down and re-enter life. I simply made a statement about what was on the news because some of you were ragging another user for stating the same. NONE OF YOU know if it's actually true or not and I'm more likely to believe the news than you guys. Nothing was ever said about war or duct tape and it's really got nothing to do with this thread. I'm blown away by the lack of intelligence I'm seeing from people here right now. It makes me ashamed to even be a part of this group.

--------------------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

L.O.S.T. - http://www.kjjeep.com

L.O.S.T.hoomdorm

quote:
smuggling the drones themselves into our country. It was stated that they were taking them apart into such small pieces that there was no way to tell the pieces were part of an actual drone.

L.O.S.T.hoomdorm

quote:
said about war or duct tape and it's really

So, you are saying we can win this war with drones and duct tape? Do you think the silver or the black would be more effective? Just to be safe I'm loading up on silver.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

quote:

_Is it me or can you people not even read?_ I never said anything about duct tape or war. Someone else did. Frankly I don't care about either as they aren't part of this discussion. Keep on posting tho, you are showing your own intelligence.

Wit - The ability to perceive and express in an ingeniously humorous manner the relationship between seemingly incongruous or disparate things.

I admit that it wasn’t quite ingeniously humorous, but it was an honest attempt. Perhaps you are a little too quick to question others intelligence.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

L.O.S.T.hoomdorm

quote:
smuggling the drones themselves into our country. It was stated that they were taking them apart into such small pieces that there was no way to tell the pieces were part of an actual drone.

So the Iraqi's are smuggling drones into the country and reassembling them with duct tape?? Is this REALLY that effective? I've heard it called 100 mph tape but c'mon....

Widbey,

quote:
I’m going with cammo. That way when I pull it off the windows I can reuse it on new cache containers.

I don't know what the big deal is, every fall around here dang near everbody puts visqueen and duct tape over their winders. Its a sure sign of spring when the tape starts to come unstuck and the plastic cracks. Next thing you know the jonquils start blooming.