Do non-caches exist?

robotman

quote:
Originally posted by The Robot Family:

No, no...

I mean a TRULY virtual cache that doesn't exist by going somewhere outside... but exists somewhere on the internet?

Yes there are, or at least there used to be. I'm not sure if gc.com hosts any of these type.

quote:
I've seen references to "Locationless" caches which made me think of this. What is a "locationless" cache?

A locationless is a cache in which you leave the house looking for a certain object. Like say an flag. If you have one in the front yard you won't have to go very far, if not you have to go a little farther. Once you find the object of the search you use a gps to take its location. And then report it as a find, usaully you need a picture of you/yourgps with the object.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

No one is understanding what I am asking. :-(

I KNOW what a "virtual" cache is... it is a place where there is no physical cache box. A place to sight-see (or where a cache was stolen).

I'm asking if there are any LOCATIONLESS caches. A cache which is only an internet hunts for example. Something you can do from just in front of your computer.

Maybe they don't exist. Although, what IS a "locationless" cache?

The Robot Family

oops... Welch must have posted right when I did.

THANK YOU for the explanation. I wondered what what a "locationless" cache was (in addition to if internet caches exist)>

Do you know where I would find internet caches (if they still exist)?

What about "locationless" caches?

How do I find out more about these type of caches?!

The Robot Family

quote:

Maybe they don't exist. Although, what IS a "locationless" cache?

I understand, but I don't see how what you are describing is a geocache. Under even the broadest definitions, a cache has some physical existance.

The definition of a locationless cache is in one of the above messages - one in which you seek out an item, then use your GPSr to get the coordinates. A better name might be 'multi-location cache' since the item being sought many exist in numerous places.

Ron/yumitori

A Cybercache!

Exists only in cyberspace. Instead of coordinates it has an IP address.

This is getting a bit far afield from what is commonly considered a geocache.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

I think welch is working on it..

but how do you find descriptions of "locationless" caches? I think I saw that as an option under the Pocket Query. But even under there, what coords do you use as an origin?

Hmmmm.....

I know that an internet cache defies the general definition of a "geo"-cache. I just thought there was probably somewhere in this creative bunch who had created such type of a treasure hunt in cyberspace.

The Robot Family

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I've done one such "cybercache," but it is hosted on another site. I just tried to post a link to it, but the name of the site in the link stopped the message from posting.

Go to N@v|c@che.com and look for "Distance Caching 101."

Thats exactly the one I was thinking of! icon_smile.gif

You'll have to fix this link....

http://www.n@vic@che.com/cgi-bin/db/displaycache2.pl?CacheID=60

There might be more, but I don't they they are too common. They may be linked in Buxleys' special caches...

http://brillig.com/geocaching/special.shtml

quote:

I've never seen the navic@che.com site before... looks like a lot of geocaching.com. Who copied who?! The geocaching.com site is much easier to read and use, though.

You REALLY dont want to ask that... icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

OK, I'll give it a shot. This one explicity states you can receive credit for a find even if your verification info came from the Web.

The same is true of this one.

Why do I think I am going to cause a rush of finds on these caches?

-WR

"Besides physical caches, we have VIRTUal and VIRTUeless."

Wow, those are pretty easy to find, and the second one even discourages a physical visit.

There's a nice photo of the first one on the company's web site, and a long article on the second that popped up at the top of my Google search.

I won't be logging them anytime soon, though. Although I logged "Distance Caching 101" on Navicache a couple of years ago, I don't see cybercaching as true geocaching. I would now only log it if I made a physical trip to the coordinates, and I'd bet that cache submissions like these would not be accepted on the site today.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I would now only log it if I made a physical trip to the coordinates, and I'd bet that cache submissions like these would not be accepted on the site today.

Yeah, and in fact if the "cache" can be solved with a web search then it is archived. That is covered in the guidelines in the Virtual Cache Posting Guidelines, section 5:

quote:
There should be one or more questions about an item at a location, something seen at that location, etc., that only the visitor to that physical location will be able to answer. The questions should be difficult enough that it cannot be answered through library or web research. The use of a "certificate of achievement" or similar item is not a substitute for the find verification requirement.

quote:
Originally posted by The Robot Family:...

What about "locationless" caches?

How do I find out more about these type of caches?!

You can find a list of these caches from any of the cache search screens (caches by state, closest to you, etc). There will be a small link near the top of the page that reads, 'also search for locationless caches'.

quote:
Are there are truly virtual caches that exist that require you search the internet for clues

Well I went ahead and logged the two that WR linked to just to stave off the boredom of having to be at work on Easter Sunday when the museum should be closed. It did lead to some interesting e-reading after some pretty quick searching. However these finds and most virtuals I have found are kinda like Snackwells; tasty at first but not really satisfying. Now since I do have a hidden virtual of my own that may seem hypocritical. Maybe it is. icon_confused.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane