What do ya think?

Ish-n-Isha

quote:
Originally posted by Duke_:

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

quote:

I almost feel sorry for you "very sensitive" folk. Being from the US, I've developed a "very think skin". People often judge us by where we are from. And to the credit of most of us, we don't cry about it.

[This message was edited by Duke_ on November 09, 2002 at 07:46 PM.]

IMO, you should have done more editing.

Are there spelling or grammatical errors, or would you actually care to share an idea Ms. Green?

I'm aware than many men think with organs other than their brains, but you're the first to develop a sentient skin.

If that's not enouogh of a hint, I'll post something in ROT-13 for you.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

I am quite surprised that I received such a harsh response when I thought I asked legitimate questions and did not make any of the statements you seem to be accusing me of. Let me respond to your post:

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

There is a big difference between being opposed to the policies of the American government, and disliking Americans in general.

That’s true, but I have no clue if Canadians like or dislike Americans. That's one of the reasons I'm asking these questions. I know that some Canadians probably like us and some don't. What I'd like to know is which group is in the majority?

quote:

There is a large percentage of Americans who are opposed to the policies of their government and a significant number of Americans who are pacifists and opposed to the president’s current plans to invade Iraq. I doubt such American citizens would consider themselves “anti-American”. Likewise, many in Canada share the same opinion, (perhaps even a majority - though I doubt it) and consider the current US government policy as “war-mongering”. (I am not among them).

Actually I doubt that there are a "significant number of Americans who are pacifists". If you judge the reaction of the American people by what happened at the polls November 5th, as a people we have spoken and given our support to our President and our policy toward Iraq.

This is off topic anyway, but I wanted to clear that up. I was asking about the attitude of Canadians, not Americans.

quote:

Unfortunately, there are Canadians opposed to US policy, who do not have the intellectual capability of discerning the difference between US policy and the American population in general. The result is bigotry. I come across this from time to time and it is wrong and I say so. On the other hand, when an American hears others from another country criticizing US government policy - it is just as wrong for him or her to presume that all persons from that country share that opinion.

I hope you are not insinuating that I did as you are suggesting. I never assumed that all Canadians felt this way. Frankly that’s why I asked the question, I wanted to understand how prevalent this attitude is. If you re-read what I wrote, you will see that I simply asked if it is a prevalent attitude in Canada that the USA, (as a country) is a war-monger. I also asked about other prevalent attitudes about the USA. (Both positive and negative.)

quote:

The US is an incredibly diverse country (primarily because of the freedoms guaranteed by your constitution). It is so diverse that you have room for millions of jerks of every type - but you also have room for millions of kindhearted, decent, generous people.

The bottom line is - we are individuals - Americans and Canadians alike. Judge me by what I say and what I do - not by where I am from. I will judge you likewise, no matter how many jerks (who may happen to be American) cross my path.

I hope you don't think I judged you. I did not prejudge anyone on these boards, (except maybe Duke). icon_wink.gif I do, however believe that there are some things that are typical of a group of people and those things are sometimes worth noting. This is the difference between sociology (and anthropology for that matter) and psycology. Going back to my original questions, Is there a prevalent attitude in Canada that America is a War-Monger, or is it just a small, (but apparently vocal) minority that feel this way? Also, just what are the prevalent attitudes about the USA in general? I’d like to understand what the majority of Canadians feel about America and American Citizens. Are the feelings positive? Negative? In what way?

Thanks for not reading into these questions. I'm not judging you or anyone else. As I stated, my hope is to foster a bit more understanding among our countries.

Scott / Brokenwing

-There's a thin line between geocaching and walking in circles like an idiot.-

quote:
Originally posted by Brokenwing:

I am quite surprised that I received such a harsh response when I thought I asked legitimate questions and did not make any of the statements you seem to be accusing me of.

Whoa! I also thought your questions were excellent ones and worthy of a good discussion (which unfortunately has not followed). I was not accusing you of anything - and if that was the impression you got, well then I apologize. I was just letting you know that Canadians, like Americans, are not "typical".

quote:
.... but I have no clue if Canadians like or dislike Americans. That's one of the reasons I'm asking these questions. I know that some Canadians probably like us and some don't. What I'd like to know is which group is in the majority?

There is no doubt, that the majority of Canadians strongly value the fact that the U.S. is our neighbour. The Canadian human response to 9/11 exemplified this.

I believe that the vast majority of Canadians will not pre-judge you. The majority will treat you pursuant to the Golden Rule. If you visit Canada and treat us with respect (as most Americans do) there is an excellent chance that you will be treated with respect and hospitality.

As stated, a significant group of Canadians are critical of American government policy - but big deal - so are a significant group of Americans!. Only a very small percentage of Canadians are blatantly anti-American to the extent that they will hold you personally in low esteem for the fact that you are from the U.S.

There are some U.S. policies that the majority of Canadians are opposed to. The U.S. policy on softwood lumber imports is one - this particular policy in my opinion is a disgraceful and illegal policy which the strong U.S. lumber lobby pried out of the current U.S. government - its a policy that hurts American citizens, particularly those wanting to purchase a new home - it has had disasterous effects on the economy of my province and has caused many people in our lumber industry to become unemployed. Unfortunately, some Canadians have taken it upon themselves to dislike all Americans because of this stupid policy. (I am not trying to start a debate on the American softwood lumber policy - but just giving an example of one U.S. policy that the majority of Canadians do not like.)

quote:

... I do, however believe that there are some things that are _typical_ of a group of people and those things are sometimes worth noting.

From an anthropological or sociological perspective, things that are "typical" of a group of people may be worth noting. But from the perspective of keeping an open mind, and minimizing our prejudices, taking note of such matters, in my opinion, can be quite counter-productive. In my practice I deal with many people of many different ethnic and cultural backgrounds - and if there is one thing I have learned is that no individual of any particular ethnic or cultural group is is "typical". Therefor it does not assist me in anyway to know what "typical" is (please ... this is not an attack on, or a comment about, your attitudes - just a comment about your comments - which is what these forums are supposed to be about icon_smile.gif

Now to bring this topic back to Geocaching - I love it when an American visits one of my caches and comments favourably on it. The TYPICAL Canadian Geocache is fantastic - and I am positive that the TYPICAL American geocacher will love them all!

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:

I almost feel sorry for you "very sensitive" folk. Being from the US, I've developed a "very think skin". People often judge us by where we are from. And to the credit of most of us, we don't cry about it.

Your comment shows that you truly don't understand this issue. My comment was based on the fact that Seneca and I often find ourselves on the opposite sides of issues. I doubt that he has ever gotten upset by this fact. It concerns me that you have taken everything so personally.

It should also be noted that While I believe Seneca is Canadian, I am an American. The fact that you assumed that since we agreed on this one point that I must also be a Canadian troubles me also.

I think it is dangerous to stereotype. All Canadians are not peaceniks, nor are all Americans warmongers.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

quote:

Your comment shows that you truly don't understand this issue. My comment was based on the fact that Seneca and I often find ourselves on the opposite sides of issues. I doubt that he has ever gotten upset by this fact. It concerns me that you have taken everything so personally.

It should also be noted that While I believe Seneca is Canadian, I am an American. The fact that you assumed that since we agreed on this one point that I must also be a Canadian troubles me also.

I think it is dangerous to stereotype. All Canadians are not peaceniks, nor are all Americans warmongers.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Why did you quote me on this again?? I truly don't care to make a study of the issue. To me it's a non issue that has been made an issue by people that have nothing better to do than make an issue out of nothing. I don't think I have ever stereotyped anyone. And I certainly never took anything personally. Weather you believe Seneca is Canadian or not doesn't really pertain to anything. He claims he is. So big deal. Such an ascertain neither makes him good nor bad. Not sure why you mentioned that. Seneca is Senaca, a person I often disagree with, who's nationality matters not. I never assumed you were anything, so please don't say that I did. I've abstained from posting further to this thread, as it only appears to inflame. But since you quoted me, I felt the need to respond. I hope my responce doesn't cause you to flip. Yours truly, -Duke

[This message was edited by Duke_ on November 11, 2002 at 07:41 PM.]

I just now became aware of the furor over my cache, "Guns At Macaulay".

Guns at Macaulay

While the cache has since been archived, I was, of course, aware at the time of the Post by the Grandparents.

I emailed them privately, and asked them to edit their post, so as not to offend any Americans who might be watching the cache page. I did not hear back from them, and I did not feel that deleting their log would be fair, either. This left a quandry.

Then I saw their post at cacherunner's nearby cache. Since cacherunner and I eat together under the same roof, I was willing to tolerate abuse of my cache, but not of hers. They made personal remarks about her, without knowing either of us. I asked, or rather commanded, that they keep their Eastern attitudes, and stay home to geocache. The United States is our greatest trading partner, ally and friend. They alone kept the world from speaking Russian during the Cold War. While others may not remember that, I DO. Cheers to the United States of America, our greatest friends.

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

The United States is our greatest trading partner, ally and friend. They alone kept the world from speaking Russian during the Cold War. While others may not remember that, I DO. Cheers to the United States of America, our greatest friends.

AMEN! And bless you MarinerBC. Well said and a fitting ending to this thread!

Ish-n-Isha

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!