What do ya think?

Ish-n-Isha

I was doing some research for a trip to Victoria BC. and stumbled on this cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&ID=24818&decrypt=y&log=

A cool sight I was really looking forward to seeing.

Until I read the Log of the "Grandparents" on Sept. 21.

Whats the chances Grandpa out in podunk Peterborough, Ontario knows something that we dont know?

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

quote:
Watched the ferries taking crew ashore from the USS Nimitz (hoping that one would open fire, but was disapointed. Cruise ships are one thing at Victoria but nuclear powered agressors are another!)

...Or perhaps one who fled there from across the southern border in the 60's and 70's?

IMO, s/he has a very myopic view of recent world history and the part such "nuclear powered agressors" and their crews have played in guarding (without charge to him/her) the freedom s/he has to make such irresponsible statements. icon_mad.gif

And before anyone asks: yes, I'm aware it's the USS and not HMCS Nimitz.

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Ish-n-Isha:

Also said the name of the cache was "Guns at Macaulay" which are Coastal Artillary from WWII.

The things "The Grandparents" said they wanted to see open fire were the GUNS... not the ferries.

Perhaps Grandparents are just getting a bit senile in their old age. Then again, I've heard worse from our pacifist neighbors to the north. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Duke_:

"...Then again, I've heard worse from our pacifist neighbors to the north... icon_wink.gif"

Your 'sense of humour' is about to get you into trouble again...

One of your 'pacifist neighbors to the north'

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on November 06, 2002 at 03:02 PM.]

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on November 06, 2002 at 03:03 PM.]

quote:

A cool sight I was really looking forward to seeing.

Until I read the Log of the "Grandparents" on Sept. 21.

So go and enjoy seeing it! It wouldn't be very American of you to allow what some Canadian thinks to influence your plans.

"Everybody wants to save the world, but nobody wants to help mom with the dishes," -P.J. O'Rourke

Originally posted by dwmurphy:

Anyone recall the Kirk Douglas movie where he was captain of the USS Nimitz ? icon_confused.gif

QUOTE]

That was "The Final Countdown". It also had Martin Sheen. I believe they were supposed to travel back in time and take a picture of the USS Arizona before it was sunk in Pearl Harbor so they could log a virtual cache. I believe they were first finders. Has anyone logged it since? icon_rolleyes.gif

"A good compromise leaves everybody mad." - Calvin

quote:

Then again, I've heard worse from our pacifist neighbors to the north. icon_wink.gif

Many fellow Canadian’s I know, often make broad-stroked disparaging remarks about Americans. I abhor such generalizations. In my opinion such remarks are the combined result of ignorance and an intellect that is incapable of comprehending the diversity among my southern neighbours. Believe it or not, Canadians are just as diverse. Your remark is really insulting to me, and totally innappropriate for in a forum where most participants promote and enjoy the total international nature of Geocaching.

(By the way - regarding the topic of this thread - I certainly do not approve of the ignorant Canadian who thought that a cache log was a good place to make a political statement)

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

quote:

Then again, I've heard worse from our pacifist neighbors to the north. icon_wink.gif

"...Your remark is really insulting to me, and totally innappropriate for in a forum where most participants promote and enjoy the total international nature of Geocaching..."

I think we heard the squeal of an abruptly reversed bicycle tire from 'Duke's back-peddling a couple of posts back (sort of icon_rolleyes.gif ).

quote:

Your remark is really insulting to me, and totally innappropriate for in a forum where most participants promote and enjoy the total international nature of Geocaching.

Being an attorney, I really thought you would have thicker skin. Is a comment like that enough to really really insult you? Geeze, remind me to put on my kid gloves when playing with you.

Oh, by the way, its good to see you contributing to the forums again Seneca. Been awhile since I've seen one of your posts. I was going to contact you to see if you would contribute to the Hunting/Geocaching thread. A lawyers opinion in there might be appreciated. And smile would ya? You look so grumpy in your Avetar. I thought Canadians were a happy go lucky folk. ~Cringing, waiting for the scathing replies that will come from that one~ It's a joke already, lighten up.

quote:

quote:

Your remark is really insulting to me, and totally innappropriate for in a forum where most participants promote and enjoy the total international nature of Geocaching.

"...Being an attorney, I really thought you would have thicker skin. Is a comment like that enough to really really insult you? Geeze, remind me to put on my kid gloves when playing with you..."

My guess is that 'seneca' wasn't the only one you insulted *Duke*. Seems to me that if you find yourself having to post a lot of 'I was just joking' follow-ups to your forum comments (this was my second such run in with you in less than a day), perhaps you should be a little more careful about the tone of your posts in the first place? There's no 'joke' if the only one laughing is you.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

My guess is that 'seneca' wasn't the only one you insulted *Duke*. Seems to me that if you find yourself having to post a lot of 'I was just joking' follow-ups to your forum comments, perhaps you should be a little more careful about the tone of your posts in the first place? There's no 'joke' if the only one laughing is you.

Whatever. Geeze, get over it already.

quote:

Seems to me that if you find yourself having to post a lot of 'I was just joking' follow-ups to your forum comments, perhaps you should be a little more careful about the tone of your posts in the first place? There's no 'joke' if the only one laughing is you.

By the way, are you aware that some find the term Canucks offensive?

quote:

Being an attorney, I really thought you would have thicker skin. Is a comment like that enough to really really insult you?

I have an exceptionally thick skin when people judge me by what I say or what I do (and believe me some of those judgments are not a pretty sight) - but I am very sensitive to being judged by where I am from - and I have no time for bigots who judge others on that basis - including those whose judgement of Americans is based entirely on the composition ofJerry Springer audiences.

geol4.JPG

quote:

"...Whatever. Geeze, get over it already..."

Spoken in the anticipated tone of someone who knows they'll never confront the people they offend face to face.

quote:

"...By the way, are you aware that some find the term Canucks offensive?..."

I suppose that all depends on which reference you choose to use from the results of the search you did on 'Google' (or wherever) ...that, along with the inflection being used by the person who's doing the speaking/writing (said the wrong way 'Darling' can be offensive).

I ( and I believe alot of others) just want to know where the Grandparents are "comming from." We all expect someone who has no grasp of the facts to come to a faulty interpitation.

Question is: What planet are they from and whats up?

I am waiting for someone who has knowledge of these type of Canadians to explain it to me. I prefer to have a Canadians insight on this.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

"...I ( and I believe alot of others) just want to know where the Grandparents are "comming from." We all expect someone who has no grasp of the facts to come to a faulty interpitation.

Question is: What planet are they from and whats up?

I am waiting for someone who has knowledge of these type of Canadians to explain it to me. I prefer to have a Canadians insight on this..."

Sometimes there's just no accounting for some people's points of view (regardless of what passport they carry). If I were you, I wouldn't be any more concerned about travelling to Canada and encountering 'Grandparents' at every turn than I am of travelling to the U.S. and having to listen to the likes of 'Duke'.

I wont let it keep me from enjoying Canada like I usually do. But it is Quite curious and dumbfounding, let alone unexpected to find a log like that.

I just want you Canadians to know that there are wierdos in all cultures and I accept that.

I've always thought of the US-Canadian relationship was the best in the world and a model to be envied by every other country on the planet.

I personally think Canada is a very cool friendly place. I have dozens of Canadian friends that live down here full time.

I guess I was so used to that that when I read the Grandparents post, it really shocked me.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I sat and read all of "the Grandparents" logs for all of their finds. I believe they are a sweet set of Grandparents who love the sport and are still fit enough to find 1-2 rated terrain caches. They took their grandkids caching, introduced a woman named Jane, from England to the sport and she is getting her own GPS. They thanked every single cache hider in every log, also explained to two sunbathers who saw them hunting and thought they had lost something about the sport, possibly recruiting new members, and had no complaints except for this one WHICH THEY ENCRYPTED on their log, and one other comment to look out for some grease near the cache. I really feel that they were just making a comment on seeing the USS Nimitz in the harbor and were reflecting on what has become of the world today and the fact that we (the US, the world) are on the verge of something big, and perhaps they were thinking of their grandkids futures, especially so since the kids were there with them. They can't be all bad, they spent their entire vacation in Ontario visiting 1/1, 2/1, 1/2, caches! There is nothing nasty about these people, just a concern for their grandkids and the future of the world in this day and age of terrorism. This is my humble opinion and I am sticking to it. Thank you and have a nice day.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

I am a Canadian from Victoria. I think most folks around here were thrilled by the visits of those U.S. carriers. Our Navys work closely together so therefore we treat those U.S. sailors as if our own.

We look forward to the returns of the USS Nimitz, Abraham Lincoln, Stenous and others.(Forgive me if I mispelled any)

When checking out those ominous vessels parked off our waterfront, I found myself waiting for them to do something. Toot the horn,launch a jet or a missile (I'll help pick a target). A show sort of speak. Not something hostile. Those mighty warships that are capable of so many amazing things are really kinda of boring to look at. Perhaps thats what the Grandparents ment.

One note on those Gun's of Mccaulley, They pre-date WWI and were actually placed to defend our coast from Russian Invasion.

In second thought after re-reviewing the grandparents message and noticing the angry face icon. I assume they are being nasty.

What's the big deal about nuclear power? It's a lot cleaner and safer than the realistic alternatives.

I think I better go put my flame proof suit on.

We get our share of US Navy vessels here in Vancouver as well (50 km NE of Victoria).

I believe their presence is the the result of an invitation from our government. As with anything our government does, there will be opponents. Unfortunately, it is that very small percentage of opponents that always seems to make the 6:00 News when our visitors form the south arrive.

This also seems to be the case in this thread.

Originally posted by Planet:

I sat and read all of "the Grandparents" logs for all of their finds. I believe they are a sweet set of Grandparents ........

They thanked every single cache hider in every log, ....

WHICH THEY ENCRYPTED_ on their log,

I really feel that they were just making a comment on seeing the USS Nimitz in the harbor and were reflecting on what has become of the world today.......

There is nothing nasty about these people, just a concern for their grandkids and the future of the world in this day and age of terrorism.

If they were nasty, How could you tell? Hummmm? Just because they can hunt other caches and make normal logs doesn't mean they don't go a "bit round the bend" when they are around American symbols like aircraft carriers!

I sincerely appreciate the Canadians who posted here for their veiwpoint and help in understanding this. I have no doubt that "The Grandparents" viewpoint are a tiny minority in Canada.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

f I were you, I wouldn't be any more concerned about travelling to Canada and encountering 'Grandparents' at every turn than I am of travelling to the U.S. and having to listen to the likes of 'Duke'.

The likes of Duke? Oh, you mean Duke the person who upsets the sensitivity of someone like Seneca "I am very sensitive to being judged by where I am from - and I have no time for bigots who judge others on that basis"

Where that came from I'll never know. Seneca looks for ways to be offended. I'm a bigot now? oh good Lord, whats next?

A nazi?

A fascist?

A pinko commie bedwetter?

Ya know, I never threw such highly offensive terms around. Did you really deduce that I'm a bigot, from the posts I've made? If you did, then you suck as an attorney. Furthermore, your mother was a hampster and your father smells of elderberries. (I bet he can't smile at that either)

quote:

Did you really deduce that I'm a bigot, from the posts I've made?

Bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

(Merriam-Webster) icon_smile.gif

geol4.JPG

quote:

quote:

Did you really deduce that I'm a bigot, from the posts I've made?

Bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

(Merriam-Webster) icon_smile.gif

_I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me._

http://www.cslaw.ca/geol4.JPG

As I said, if you've deduced that from my posts, then you suck as an attorney. Where do you establish obstinate or intolerant?

You're really just an attorneys secretary, aren't you?

For I fear that some might make a further fuss. As a US citizen, I have absolutely no animosity toward Canadian citizens. Zip, zilch, none, nada. No animosity toward Canada, no animosity toward Mexico. Spend time in both places, never have problems with either. Although, I must say, I've never had someone from Mexico call me a Bigot! But oh well, as an American, I guess I do owe a bit of tolerence, eye? or is that aye? Hey, who called me a hoser!? How rude icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by Duke_ on November 07, 2002 at 07:26 PM.]

Duke, I do not know you. But for argument sake I can probably safely assume that you are indeed NOT a bigot and comments alluding to that fact may be unwarranted.

However, I do happen to have the pleasure of knowing Seneca. As such, I too take offence to your generalizations about Canadians, and now even more so, take offence to your personal attack against Seneca's is professionalism and livelihood.

If your comments were meant as humor, then I am sorry for not getting the jest.

I suggest that this has somehow gone too far OT and perhaps further personal attacks should be kept to oneself or confined to personal emails.

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

Duke, I do not know you. But for argument sake I can probably safely assume that you are indeed NOT a bigot and comments alluding to that fact may be unwarranted.

However, I do happen to have the pleasure of knowing Seneca. As such, I too take offence to your generalizations about Canadians, and now even more so, take offence to your personal attack against Seneca's is professionalism and livelihood.

If your comments were meant as humor, then I am sorry for not getting the jest.

I suggest that this has somehow gone too far OT and perhaps further personal attacks should be kept to oneself or confined to personal emails.

Again, please enlighten me about my generalizations against Canadians? This should be good, considering several of my relatives are Canadian. Where again is the generalization? And please, look close, to make sure you did not misinterpret. Was it all of my neighbors to the north, or the neighbors who are pacifists who have said nasty things? Lets be clear now, before we launch nasty attacks.

quote:

quote:

f I were you, I wouldn't be any more concerned about travelling to Canada and encountering 'Grandparents' at every turn than I am of travelling to the U.S. and having to listen to the likes of 'Duke'.

The likes of Duke? Oh, you mean Duke the person who upsets the sensitivity of someone like Seneca "I am very sensitive to being judged by where I am from - and I have no time for bigots who judge others on that basis"

Where that came from I'll never know. Seneca looks for ways to be offended. I'm a bigot now? oh good Lord, whats next?

A nazi?

A fascist?

A pinko commie bedwetter?

Ya know, I never threw such highly offensive terms around. Did you really deduce that I'm a bigot, from the posts I've made? If you did, then you suck as an attorney. Furthermore, your mother was a hampster and your father smells of elderberries. (I bet he can't smile at that either)

At least you weren't called Pollyanna! Ow, my feelings! icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

quote:

Mr. G, it's none of my business if you have the pleasure of knowing Seneca, or if he has the pleasure of knowing the, especially if we are talking "know" in the Biblical sense. Not sure what place that has here in the public forums.

The effects of gunpowder fumes on the defenseless brain cell..... icon_frown.gif

geol4.JPG

Since this thread has seriously decayed, I thought I might try to bring it back more on topic.

One of the early questions seems to have been whether or not there are anti-American sentiments among some folks in Canada. I’m curious just how wide spread such feeling are. From other postings here on the forums, there seems to be other Canadians besides “The Grandparents” that have strong pacifistic feelings and seem to be directing these feelings against the American military. See this thread for reference. Look for a post by TJWilson.

So here’s my question: I know many countries around the world think of the USA as a “war-monger.” Is this a prevalent attitude in Canada as well, or is it just a small, (but apparently vocal) minority that feel this way? Just what are the prevalent attitudes about the USA in general?

I’m hoping to increase understanding here and really am curious, so please respond with that in mind.

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

Scott / Brokenwing

-There's a thin line between geocaching and walking in circles like an idiot.-

There is a big difference between being opposed to the policies of the American government, and disliking Americans in general. There is a large percentage of Americans who are opposed to the policies of their government and a significant number of Americans who are pacifists and opposed to the president’s current plans to invade Iraq. I doubt such American citizens would consider themselves “anti-American”. Likewise, many in Canada share the same opinion, (perhaps even a majority - though I doubt it) and consider the current US government policy as “war-mongering”. (I am not among them). Unfortunately, there are Canadians opposed to US policy, who do not have the intellectual capability of discerning the difference between US policy and the American population in general. The result is bigotry. I come across this from time to time and it is wrong and I say so. On the other hand, when an American hears others from another country criticizing US government policy - it is just as wrong for him or her to presume that all persons from that country share that opinion.

The US is an incredibly diverse country (primarily because of the freedoms guaranteed by your constitution). It is so diverse that you have room for millions of jerks of every type - but you also have room for millions of kindhearted, decent, generous people.

The bottom line is - we are individuals - Americans and Canadians alike. Judge me by what I say and what I do - not by where I am from. I will judge you likewise, no matter how many jerks (who may happen to be American) cross my path.

geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by Brokenwing:

"...here’s my question: I know many countries around the world think of the USA as a “war-monger.” Is this a prevalent attitude in Canada as well, or is it just a small, (but apparently vocal) minority that feel this way? Just what are the prevalent attitudes about the USA in general?..."

'War Monger' is an extreme term which, in my opinion, wouldn't be used by anyone who engages in an *educated* discussion about U.S. foreign policy. For those who fight them (and the families and friends who await their return), armed conflicts are NEVER entered into with hand-wringing glee ...at least that has been my own personal experience. I think it safe to say that this is a point of view shared by the vast majority of Canadians and Americans.

quote:

I have an exceptionally thick skin when people judge me by what I say or what I do (and believe me some of those judgments are not a pretty sight) - but I am very sensitive to being judged by where I am from - and I have no time for bigots who judge others on that basis - including those whose judgement of Americans is based entirely on the composition ofJerry Springer audiences.

OMG! I agree with Seneca!

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I almost feel sorry for you "very sensitive" folk. Being from the US, I've developed a "very think skin". People often judge us by where we are from. And to the credit of most of us, we don't cry about it.

[This message was edited by Duke_ on November 09, 2002 at 07:46 PM.]

quote:

I almost feel sorry for you "very sensitive" folk. Being from the US, I've developed a "very think skin". People often judge us by where we are from. And to the credit of most of us, we don't cry about it.

IMO, you should have done more editing.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

quote:

IMO, you should have done more editing.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

Are there spelling or grammatical errors, or would you actually care to share an idea Ms. Green?