Logging a find

herbk

quote:
Originally posted by herbk:

I just discovered that putting quote marks around phrases when logging a find is futile; the quote marks disappear when the log remarks go to the cache page.

Bug or feature?

It's a "feature". It's part of the scrubbing process to remove any potentially dangerous code (java, etc.) from being included in the log.

You can use single quotes (') though.

3608_1400.gif

For degree symbols its probably better to use

& d e g ;

(without spaces)

rather than the ascii degree character. Its an HTML escape sequence. You can find more here:

http://cedesign.net/asciij.htm

..although I'd avoid the lower half of that table, since not all users have the 'symbol' font.

"this is quoted text"

using & q u o t ; at the front and end of the text to be placed in quotemarks.

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

For degree symbols its probably better to use...

Looks like 5 keystrokes either way with the same displayed result. Perhaps there's something going on behind the curtain that makes it “better”, but _Alt+0176_ has worked fine for me every time so far. icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

Its better because not all platforms will correctly display the ascii degrees symbol. If you don't care about users of other operating systems, go right ahead and continue to insert using alt+0176. icon_razz.gif

quote:

...Its better because not all platforms will correctly display the ascii degrees symbol...

Thanks! That's the “behind the curtain” stuff I didn't know about. To bring this back to the original topic, how does the Alt+0147/0148 display on other operating systems? Not that I care about those users, I'm just curious now. icon_wink.gif

Worldtraveler

Depends on the font. The cache pages use verdana, and I assume the server has the font loaded on it so that even if you don't have verdana, it will still show verdana. Verdana font has no problem displaying “ or ”

It will only be a problem if someone is displaying it in a font like MS Sans Serif or some other font that DOESN'T have a character “ to display. Then it shows up as boxes.

Most likely, this will happen for the e-mail notifications.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

It will only be a problem if someone is displaying it in a font like MS Sans Serif or some other font that DOESN'T have a character “ to display. Then it shows up as boxes.

Or if it's being used with Pocket Queries, in which case it gets translated to UTF-8 and ends up looking like doot.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Depends on the font. The cache pages use verdana, and I assume the server has the font loaded on it so that even if you don't have verdana, it will still show verdana. Verdana font has no problem displaying “ or ”

Sorry, even if the server has the font, it isn't sent to web clients. Unless the server renders all the text as an image, which it doesn't.

Have you ever been reading a document, written by a Mac user, and see "that?s" instead of "that's"? Similar issue. Looks fine to them, though.

I think what MrSnazz actually means when he says escape sequence is entity. The standard that defines how browsers show things defines many such entities, such as those listed in this list, including our favorite ° (°icon_wink.gif — although it doesn't seem to list the straight double quote character, there are all the balanced quote “characters”.

quote:
Originally posted by nickr:

I think what MrSnazz actually means when he says _escape sequence_ is _entity_. The standard that defines how browsers show things defines many such entities, such as those listed in http://www.greggman.com/pages/html-entities.htm, including our favorite ° (°icon_wink.gif — although it doesn't seem to list the straight double quote character, there are all the balanced quote “characters”.

So you think you're better than me, huh? According to many credible sources, "escape sequence" is just as valid as "entity".

You must be from pod six! I hate those jerks in pod six. icon_mad.gif

quote:

So you think you're better than me, huh? According to many credible sources, "escape sequence" is just as valid as "entity".

You better believe I think I'm better than you, MrSnazz, IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME. And I think the good people at the W3 Consortium have the authority in regards to web standards, you half brained space monkey.

quote:
You must be from pod six! I hate those jerks in pod six. icon_mad.gif

Pod six rules, halfwit! I'll prove it! Lets go!! icon_mad.gif

quote:

Asphinctersayswhat?

DUDE. LAME. YOU ARE LAME, “MRSNAZZ”!! I INVENTED ASPHINCTERSAYSWHAT.

Stupid 80s kids always stealing my catchphrases.

And other thing, icon_mad.gif!! I'm sick and tired of MrSnazz rearing his ugly head and stinking up the forii. He should just go back to wherever lame-o sex midgets come from, and leave the forii alone! I think he gives geocaching a bad name with his insane rants and pointless arguments and donkey-mother-loving-ugly photograph. Cripes. I think he should go away and leave us sane people to enjoy the forii and live in peace and harmony, which we could if he didn't always come around with his PEDANTIC bullhockey. I'm sick and tired of it!!! icon_mad.gif

quote:

DUDE. LAME. YOU ARE LAME, “MRSNAZZ”!! I _INVENTED_ _ASPHINCTERSAYSWHAT_.

Stupid 80s kids always stealing my catchphrases.

And other thing, icon_mad.gif!!

Lameness tends to support a total state. Only if some things are objectively right or wrong is it possible to rationally critique the existing order. If moral relativism is true, then it isn't wrong for the state to coerce or even kill individuals, such as yourself, for the doctrine of stupidity is a moral theory, and if moral relativism is right, then all moral theories are false or nonsense. Espescially yours. Overall, since most of the things that total morons do intuitively seem immoral, a would be total jerk must undermine morality in order to quell protest against his lameness. icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

A typical Dada-esque response from “MrSnazz”. This is the kind of malarkey I've come to expect from him. Its undeniable and meanigless. Why, I wouldn't be suprised if “MrSnazz” were responsible for the current existance of LEMON PEPSI, which is an affront to nature AND MAN. This is the kind of degenerate spaced-out sex criminal that “MrSnazz” is. I mean, just look at him. 2 meters high, covered in disgusting seaweed. Its like he just drug himself out of a COMMIE ART-HOUSE MOVIE THEATER, eating unbuttered popcorn and commenting on how fake the moon landing is. I'll tell you one thing, theres no way in HEAVEN OR EARTH that the moon landing could be faked in 1969! JUST LOOK AT IT. ITS OBVIOUS. AND THE CIA SAYS IT WAS REAL TOO! Yet “MrSnazz” denies it! He is obviously sent by the KING OF THE EAST to raise dissatisfaction omong the ranks of good geocachers everywhere. Lets rid ourselves of his EVIL!

Oh please. You have how many posts? Five? You just showed up out of the blue to discredit me. Who's puppet account are you? I bet you didn't even take that photo on your profile page.

What does any of this have to do with the moon landings? Are you an astronaut? Did you land here attached to a hunk of gray mooncheese? Are you some sort of mandroid?

quote:

Oh please. You have how many posts? Five? You just showed up out of the blue to discredit me....

Oh, my dear “MrSnazz”, You do an excellent job of discrediting yourself, with your incredible accusations.

Besides, what does the number of posts matter? Its the quality of the posts that makes all the difference. And my posts have quality, oh yes. They are hand crafted, carefully nutured, grown in ideal conditions to LASH OUT. If I'm not careful they'll poke someone's eye out! Thats how good they are. Nothing like your posts. Your TROLLS, base and crusty like week old oysters, your attention-craving cries out, like a forgotten child on the beach of your very SOUL, yes, YOUR SOUL, the black, burned dark heart and the centre of your VERY BEING.

quote:
Who's puppet account are you? I bet you didn't even take that photo on your profile page.

Can you explain HOW I'M IN IT if I didn't take that photo? Can you? ANSWER ME dadgum YOU!!!! I didn't think so. And besides, who cares about a photo? What is a photo, really? On the web, a collection of coloured dots, a dot here a dot there. For all I know you could've fabricated all your pictures, some sort of photoshop-athon, painstakingly creating a whole life for one who is lifeless, a nothing, a void of trolling and IRC abuse. I'm onto you now, I know what your game is. You won't win! YOU CAN'T WIN.

quote:

What does any of this have to do with the moon landings? Are you an astronaut? Did you land here attached to a hunk of gray mooncheese? Are you some sort of mandroid?

Moon landings are key! They are the pivot on which our whole CULTURE revoles! I am an astronaut! An astronaut of the SPIRIT! A spirit-naut, if you will. We are all astornauts, trying to get a lick of that brass ring. Doesn't nickr get a lick? I know you “MrSnazz”, we are the same in many ways, we both eat cheese, we both go geocaching. The difference, and this is key, is your love of eminent domain. Clearly, this is your fault, your achilles heal. Your belief that you somehow DESERVE the land is madness! You can cache WHERE WE SAY YOU CAN CACHE, don't be breakin MY property rights because you're some sort of ANARCHIST WHACKO. I mean really, what kind of freaked out hippy actually falls for this crap? I think you've been hitting the "goofballs" a bit, there, Snazzy. Maybe you should cut down.I came to earth with a simple goal, one purpose that has guided me these many years among you. Let me tell you something, I've been thwarted at every turn. “MrSnazz” is just another example of that. Comming out with his pedantic, overbearing trolling, disrupting the honest back and forth of online communications. I'm shocked. I AM SHOCKED at a world that lets this man run free. There should be an island where we send devients like this, crazies, people who KNOW TOO MUCH, where they can be happy and wear capes. I really would like to see such a place. It'd be lovely, on the coast, beautiful sunsets, pretty ships in the bay, lots of gambling. Sounds like paradise. Sometimes I wish we all could live in paradise, happy and free, with no cares or worries; then people like “MrSnazz” come along. Why can't they leave well enough alone and not butt into other people's things? If you're not involved, leave it alone! Respect means not caring for your fellow humans. Ah screw it. Lets go caching.

quote:
Better?

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For degree symbols its probably better to use...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like 5 keystrokes either way with the same displayed result. Perhaps there's something going on behind the curtain that makes it “better”, but Alt+0176 has worked fine for me every time so far.

Worldtraveler

Does Alt 248 on a PC work for degrees? Lets see°

That would make 4 keystrokes icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SlvrBack:

Great posts guys!

Let's flame everyone in the hopes that everyone will ignore the post!

w00T!

lETS FACE IT

nickr didn't take his Zoloft today.

Snazz amy have forgotten his Prozac.

So please guys just calm down shake hands and forget about it!!!

Snazz amy? Whats that.

Nothing like a newbie coming in here with 10 posts telling everyone to calm down. Shake hands and forget about it. Who do you think you are. These guys have been in love for the longest time and you just want them to forget about it. nickr, doesn't need zoloft, just to go out and find a man other than MrSnazz because he has had it with his flirting ways.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

umc, SlvrBack are you communists? You sure sound like 'em of those long-haired, birkenstock-wearing, peace-loving pinkos with your fancy names and your wussy lets be friends attitudes. Zoloft indeed. Zoloft is a tool of the cabal to control the proletariat. Soon the workers will unite against the evils of the Corporation, and its STRANGLE-HOLD ON THE PEOPLE. LISTEN TO ME: THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT BROUGHT US LEMON PEPSI. THEY ARE EVIL. Don't let the happy faces and clown-like antics of MrSnazz and his cabal fool you: THEY ARE EVIL AND WILL CORRUPT YOUR VERY SOUL. YES, YOUR IMMORTAL SOUL. Don't let it happen to you! Less corruption, More Caching!

I don't trust non-humans like buckets and monkies. I think you are fronts for MrSnazz's cabal. Maybe THEY are responsible for THE ILLUMINATI! I'm certain of it. They have wires in our money that track our spending habits! When you buy an ammo box or a black plastic bag, THEY KNOW! They are watching! Ever look on the back of an american dollar? What do you think that eye-in-pyramid MEANS? You think that is a benevolent omnipresence? Ever heard of BIG BROTHER? HAVE YOU!!? People throw it around like a fantasy, let me tell you friends, BIG BROTHER IS REAL AND HE IS IN YOUR HOUSE RIGHT NOW. Don't believe me? HAVE YOU LOOKED IN YOUR MILK BOTTLES LATELY!!?? Milk is key: Milk is how they know you're still taking your mind control drugs! Calcium is a communist plot, and you and I both know that. Why do you think you're encouraged to drink milk so much? Your Health!? Yea, you just keep thinking that while they chip away at your freedom! Yes, friends, we live in a world of danger, with MrSnazz at the heart of it! He is the multi-armed beast, the oroborus of demise, his minions come out of the woodwork, communist conspirators umc and SlvrBack. You guys will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes, I'm telling you right now. Just take your petty, stupid trolling to another forum, okay? This thread doesn't need your kind. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. YOUR KIND.

[This message was edited by nickr on November 26, 2002 at 08:53 PM.]

[This message was edited by nickr on November 26, 2002 at 08:54 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Nothing like a newbie coming in here with 10 posts telling everyone to calm down.

Come on. Just because you are a Forum Freak, that doesn't make you experienced. You've been around since Sept, and SlvrBack since May. 60 finds to 96 finds. What does 10 posts have to do with it?

lodging3.jpggeol1.jpg

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

[This message was edited by leatherman on November 26, 2002 at 09:04 PM.]

quote:

Just take your petty, stupid trolling to another forum, okay? This thread doesn't need your kind. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. YOUR _KIND_.

[This message was edited by nickr on November 26, 2002 at 08:53 PM.]

[This message was edited by nickr on November 26, 2002 at 08:54 PM.]

Keep editing until you get it right ok. Furthermore you can take all of your seven posts and leave here. Truth be told MrSnazz is a friend of mine and you hurt his feelings by breaking up with him. I really think you two should move out of the same home because its too painful to live together like you are. Speaking of Trolls, its very obvious you just came from under the bridge so take your fake finds and beat it. Your lucky Leatherman doesn't get a hold of you because he would tear you up and I don't mean just your @$$ either.

Leatherman, The SilverBack thing was a joke, I was chatting in the IRC chat with him and feel I can joke around as such. Now on the other hand if I had as many cache finds as I did posts I would be really cool and maybe thats a goal I should work toward. As far as nickr is concerened, hes a joke also, a figment of MrSnazz's imagination.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Does anyone remember what the topic of this thread was?

Well, the topic was "Logging a find", but by the first post it was already offtopic, seeing as that the question was regarding using quotation marks.

Oh well icon_smile.gif Is this a new record? Off-topic in the very first message?