Vision phones

I bought a new Sprint PCS Vision phone so I could log on the Geocaching.com when I’m out & about, but it looks like I won’t be able to do that... I have tried but can’t log in... I also can’t log in to my hotmail until Microsoft updates hotmail... The new vision phones use some format called WAP, & until MS updates the Hotmail, I can’t check it when I’m out... I could check it with my old PCS phone, but couldn’t log in to Geocaching.com with that one either... Can anybody help?

TNX, Jim

I've got a Moto T720 with wireless web, and it is pretty much crap. Very very limited text based web stuff, via WAP - and it is barely good enough to read yahoo news, check movie listings, look up addresses, etc.

Now, if I can figure out more about the built in "gps" type feature in the phone, then I'd be a bit more excited. icon_smile.gif

geobanana.gifThe Toe Pages

"Now with 50% less yuck, and 100% more color!!"

I have little/no experience with the whole hassle of wireless internet, but I think an Ipaq with a cell phone hooked up to it could be a close bet to logging on to the geocaching website. I have an ipaq 1910 (sadly) but when connected to the internet via USB, I can get to geocaching.com and other sites. In conclusion...web/graphics/games/screen savers on a cell phone is designed to be laughed at in my opinion. (web maby, if you can get what you want in a basic form, is ok i guess)

I haven't really had any trouble using my Sprint PCS phone to access Geocaching via the WAP link. You can access nearest cache information and get coordinates, but don't expect much more than that. Keep in mind that the 3G services are relatively new (I think Sprint just launched theirs last Fall), and that the technology can only grow from here.

When you sign up for PCS Vision, you are usually assigned an email address at sprintpcs.com, which is accessible via the phone. Some web mail services (Yahoo?) can be set up to be used with wireless phones as well, I believe.

By the way, I work at RadioShack, which includes selling Sprint PCS and Verizon phones. I get to play with them pretty often, so I'm at least a little familiar with most current models. icon_smile.gif

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.

I think he has sprint with sidekick or something like that. Maybe if he reads this thread, he can fill in the details. I'm pretty sure he's mentioned his setup on the local bay area forum.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

'toe, you're alive!

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I've got a Moto T720 with wireless web, and it is pretty much crap. Very very limited text based web stuff, via WAP - and it is barely good enough to read yahoo news, check movie listings, look up addresses, etc.

Now, if I can figure out more about the built in "gps" type feature in the phone, then I'd be a bit more excited. icon_smile.gif

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/geobanana.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

_"Now with 50% less yuck, and 100% more color!!"_

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I REALLY wisth they would upgrade their wireless content to have some decent information.

I was recently in a city seeing a specific site, and thought to hit a few geocaches around the area (had loaded several hundred caches in the area). Went to the first one, and there were no obvious places to hide a cache, and there was a big ole sign saying "this fountain is how this city started".. yadda yadda yadda. So I figured it must be a virtual cache.

Come to find out, it was a MICROcache.

2 things I would have liked in this situation...

1- The ability to enter in the cache number/code/thing into the wireless site instead of the state/zipcode since I knew exactly what I wanted, and didn't know the zipcode.

2 - Some description/details of the cache that would actually be helpful.

It appears the current version is built just for locating caches, not for getting info on ones you already know exist.

With wireless phones growing in popularity (Sprint just signed their 1 Millionth Vision user), I would think this would be a worthy addition to the site.

I'm using the Danger Hiptop aka Sidekick with T-Mobile service. I think it's available at www.letstalk.com. $40/month for unlimited internet access which includes real web browsing (not that lame WAP stuff). However, it has a problem with the geocaching.com website right now where 1 out of 10 logs don't go through. I haven't heard anything from geocaching.com on what I can do to get around it. Danger said they'd put it on their bug list.