Proposed virtual cache--any thoughts

My state's Firemans' memorial is within an hours drive from my house. It is a very beautiful location, and I would like to locate a virtual cache there.

First, let me say that my intention is to provide geocachers with an opportunity to visit this beautiful site (beautiful all year round). I think that too many people drive past with out ever visiting this site. In no way do I wish to denigrate any of the firemen/firewomen honored here. And I am not in any way, shape, or form associated with any fire department etc...

There is no other cache within 2 miles of this location, so everything is OK on that front.

Because I do not believe that this is a place for a traditional cache, here are some virtual cache ideas.

1. Email me the nth name on the wall of honor.

2. If you are the nth cache visitor, email me the nth name from the wall of honor.

3. Tell me something about the statue in this location (i.e. number of ladder rungs, number of buttons on the person the fireman is rescuing, ...).

4. Locate and identify a foreign coin (country, year, and person on coin [very easy to identify, trust me]) that I have placed (with the aid of a magnet) under a bench.

5. Tell me how many memorial bricks have been laid in a certain location.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts about this.

CT

How is having a logbook at the site denigrating to the firemen who are memorialized there?

That said, option #2 wouldn't work very well. It sounds good in theory, but what about the person that visits the same day as someone else and copies down the wrong name because the other person hadn't logged in yet? It's too hard to tell what visitor# you are without a logbook on site, which would make it a traditional cache. It doesn't have to be a trading cache, it just needs to big large enough for a logbook.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

nm_button.gifmystats.php?userid=Team%20GPSaxophone&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

bandbass.gif

I think if you go and introduce yourself to the men and women who man the firehouse you could recruit them. I have had dealings with the firemen in my area and they are usually open to anything. They not only do their job and save lives but they volenteer their spare time to help others. If you approached them and told them you'd like to place a cache that celebrated the lives of those they lost I cannot see any of the ones I know not agreeing to it. I say go up and introuduce yourself, you'd not only get a cache placed you'd probably make some new friends.

The rules for virtuals are different from one area to another but this is what one admin (WGA) has in his profile "the cacher must show how this is a spectacular location, and it is impossible to hide a actual cache at it's location..."

I don't think you'll be able to sell a firemans memorial as being spectacular. You might want to focus on finding a way to make it an off-set cache where you use information at the memorial and hide a cache in another area or work with the firemen and you may find they are friendly to the idea of a log book at the memorial.

mystats.php?userid=Greenback&vopt=link&txtdata=StatsRule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=chitown.jpg