Camelbaks

How many of yall use camelbaks? I am planning on getting one and wanted to know if yall had any recommendations. Also could someone explain the difference btween the HAWG and Rim Runner, because the HAWG costs $20 more than the Rim Runner but the Rim Runner has 700 more inches of cargo room, and they both are 100oz systems. Thanks.

Happy Hunting icon_smile.gif

-Amazingracer

"Life is tough, life is tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I tried to get the Mounteneer, but at the time I could not find one. That has the largest cargo space of all of the models.

I ended up with the Peak Bagger, as the second largest. Sinc I am using it for mor than a daytime geocaching trip, I needed the larger space.

I think it depends on what you'll be using it for.

If you are doing only daytrips, I'd suggest something small and light.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

I prefer the Platypus bladders. I find the Camelbak bladders impart a plastic taste. I also like the Platypus' ziploc end which makes cleaning easy and allows you to fill it with ice.

You can put it in any pack, but it works best if its hydration compatible.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on March 23, 2003 at 02:26 PM.]

I've been using my Camelbak for a couple of years. I don't go to the field without it. If you are humping some gear go with the HAWG. For just snacks try the MULE. (If you need to hump a lot more gear go with the BFM It makes a great overnight patrol pack, downside is it is EXPENSIVE!!!)

I've got a couple bladder only camelbaks, on that I used for bicycling for years, the other was issued to me in the military. They've both served me well for years. I also have an older style mule, which has taken a beating for about 5 years now, and one of the 100 oz Rim Runners. The Rim Runner seems to be slightly lighter duty than the other camelbaks I own, and is starting to show a fair bit of wear in the straps, and the padded area on the back. It's not even 2 years old yet. I have used it quite a bit in that time though, and tend to throw an extra couple quarts of water in it plus gear for many of my summer travels, so I may be overloading it somewhat weight wise.

Personally,I think they're a great product, especially if you'll be doing longer dayhikes in the heat.

I got a HAWG specifically for geocaching and I love it. I have more than enough room for a dayhikes of any length. I never run out of water. The water stays cool as the newer paks are insulated. There are many nice pockets to carry pens, paper, gps, pocket pc, items for trade, batteries, first aid, digital camera, flashlight, etc. The large pocket currently holds a notebook and binoculars (and sometimes lunch. I've never reached capacity. Raincoat straps down easily Awesome investment.

stealyourcachelogo.web.small

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there. Believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.

It's just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair; Such a long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.

Ive decided to go with the HAWG however which one should I go with the Military or Civilian one. Cost is not a factor at the moment I want to know if you guys have any pros/cons with the two types of HAWGS.

-Amazingracer

[This message was edited by Amazingracer on March 24, 2003 at 02:30 PM.]

Ive decided to go with the HAWG however which one should I go with the Military or civilian one. Cost is not a factor at the moment I want to know if you guys have any pros/cons with the two types of HAWGS.

-Amazingracer

I bought a bladder at a Hikers Haven going out of business sale and put it in my regular backpack, in a compartment that doesn't have much use otherwise, and I love it on our outings. I have heard on some of the other threads that the military versions are built to higher more rugged standards, like caching, as opposed to the regular ones, meant more for light stay on the groomed trail type outings. If price isn't a factor, go for the military one that will take more of a beating.

Just my opinion, though.

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

quote:
Originally posted by Amazingracer:

Ive decided to go with the HAWG however which one should I go with the Military or Civilian one. Cost is not a factor at the moment I want to know if you guys have any pros/cons with the two types of HAWGS.

I have several, of both make. The civ versions are lighter and cheaper. But you get what you pay for. The mil versions are built military-tough. They also have some unique features not found in the civ versions.

I can think of only one time I have picked the civilian over the military. OTOH, my wife uses the civ model exclusively. I carry most of the gear in the mil-HAWG. She gets water, her camera, and a dog leash in her civ-MULE.

I just sent a military mule to my son. He is a cavalry scout, and most of his dismounted operations would be better without the 2 qt canteen on his belt.

EDIT: And this was my 500th post. I do need to get a life!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I use a Camelbak for Mt. Biking all the time. However for day or weekend outings I've got an Arc'teryx (rt55) pack with a water bladder pocket. This gives me much more space and it's easy to grab the bladder out of my Camelbak and toss it in the bigger pack. If you are looking for a small, single day hydration pack the camelbaks rock. If you are needing more, you might look at getting a pack that is water bladder compatible.

quote:
Dessert Warrior said: I have several, of both make. The civ versions are lighter and cheaper. But you get what you pay for. The mil versions are built military-tough. They also have some unique features not found in the civ versions.

During the time that the military issue, and civilian camelbaks were the same style, I didn't see any difference in type or weight of materials used. The ones we were issued had tie down web straps, a tube cover, and a valve assembly that could be used with the drinking tubes on our gas masks which was different from the civilian items. For most models though, the civilian and military versions are somewhat different designs, so it's hard to compare them. We also had available a slightly different design made by a company I can't really remember the name of now. It was a configurable system that had a lot of versatility.

I can't help but thinking though about the thought process of "military tough". During my military career, you'd see the GI's trying to get ahold of the civilian gear much of the time because it's "so much better" We hated the lowest bidder produced junk the military would issue. Especially in clothing, I know I would always take boots I bought myself to the dessert, because the military dessert boots would generally fall apart in less than 6 weeks. Units would often spend unit funds on tools and equipment so as not to be stuck with the stuff perceived as junk in the supply system.

While the camelbak's aren't an item in which the military gear is better (In my opinion), it got me thinking as I watch current events on TV now. It's almost funny sometimes watching the civilians views of the military gear, knowing how different the troops see much of it.