"hobo" or other unautherized camp sites...

As we have come across several areas while hiking and geocaching, where unautherized camping (tents or other improvised shelters, clothing hung in trees, adult beverage containers, mattresses, and other weird stuff) or hobo type activity has been occuring. I wonder what others think of this subject.

Question: If while geocaching, you discover an unauthorized camp or other hobo type articles, what do you do?

My travel bug found a homeless encampment, and decided to move in for a few days. Fortunately another set of geocachers took the ''explore the camp'' option and recovered him.

"If a boy has enough intelligence, he ought to go into the ministry, except that if when he enters college he is given to carousing, drinking, and wenching, then in that case he should enter the law." - Harvard Student Review, 1796

Every park around here has at least a few sleeping bags.

It took me longer than I care to admit to hide my first cache because of this.

This is actually one of my biggest complaints about this area.

Because the city has a tolerant attitude, few of the businesses allow non-employees to use the restroom...etc.

If they give access to the nice old lady, or someone like my five year old daughter whose bladder must be the size of a hummingbird, the people-of-roofless-living will complain that they're being discriminated against.

A buddy of mine makes a couple hundred thousand US dollars each year.

He busts his keester cranking out translations of technical documents from Russian, Chinese, and Japanese into English. He looks exactly like a homeless guy and I can never get over all the dirty looks we get while eating at a pizza joint or whatever. The guy bathes and is polite, but he hasn't seen a razor or barber in 20 years.

I've been trying to bring him with me to some geocaches but he's afraid that exposure to fresh air and exercise will kill him.

Even here in the Peoples Rebublic of Berkeley, drifters are treated with scorn.

I vote we ship them all to Kabul, but then I've always been a softy.

I've seen quite a few of these 'camp sites' in the parks and woods around Austin. It seems like they are being tolerated as these are not very far off trail and in areas where there is quite a bit of foot traffic. The warmer climate down here makes these sites livable year round.

When I stumble upon one of them I usually just make a wide circle around them as not to disturb or raise any miscontent, and keep on caching.

I found something of a "hobo camp" a couple of weeks ago while looking for a cache in the woods next to an interstate on-ramp. There were clothes, tarps, and lots of empty adult beverage containers laying around; combining that with the mosquitoes and our lack of bug spray, my girlfriend and I decided to leave the area alone. I would have contacted someone, but I wasn't sure who would handle such a thing...

I can't friggin stand business that won't let the public use the bathroom. I really don't give a rats a$$ that if they are nice to a little old lady that they might have to be nice to the homeless. Give me a break. Do you really want to walk through the encampments bathroom zone?

Hobo camps don't bother me. They have to live somwhere. In this perfect nation that is the USA there are people who do not function well working for 'The Man'. Thanks to 'The Man' I'm looking for work myself. In 6 months if I don't find a job I'll be living in one of those camps wondering where to go to take a leak.

As as for the original question my answer wasn't on there. "Pick up a little trash and leave it cleaner than I found it, but leave their stuff there"

quote:
Originally posted by Albert&Hush:

Question: If while geocaching, you discover an unauthorized camp or other hobo type articles, what do you do?

In New York City, I've been to a few caches that are near homeless encampments. I'd say leave those alone and turn back, or continue if you feel it is safe to do so. I must say though that it is pretty weird hiking past homeless guys with their boxes of stuff right next to the trail.

Make a "homeless person" locationless cache and then we can all benefit from these people. I'm surprised no one has already thought of this. Or perhaps, it was submitted and turned down icon_wink.gif

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

Make a "homeless person" locationless cache and then we can all benefit from these people. I'm surprised no one has already thought of this. Or perhaps, it was submitted and turned down icon_wink.gif

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif