Fake Rocks/Boulders Anyone?

Hi All,

I am about to place a couple of Caches, and was thinking of hiding one under a Fake Rock. The only ones that I have been able to find are really expensive, like 50$ or more. I mean, really, its a fake rock for petes sake!!

The only other idea I have was a mountian from a model train set. The Cache is an ammo can, so it does need to be a bit large.

I dont want to make one myself as I really am not to crafty. Anyone have any ideas where an iten like this can be had for a reasonable price, say under 30$?

Thanks

The one you just recently found was made with "Great Stuff" and was based on the Instant Stump thread. He has another fake in the area as well. I'll let you figure out which one (it's not that far from your home town).

Experiment. You'd be surprised what a non-crafty person can devise as camo icon_wink.gif

Markwell

The one you just recently found was made with "Great Stuff" and was based on the Instant Stump thread. He has another fake in the area as well. I'll let you figure out which one (it's not that far from your home town).

Experiment. You'd be surprised what a non-crafty person can devise as camo icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Hi Markwell,

Thanks for the foam suggestion. I will give it a try tomorrow and see what we get. Darn, now you will know where to look icon_smile.gif I see that you are quite active in this area....

I have 2 Caches that we are going to place. One is a multi with a puzzle of sorts. I have a decent way of camo for the single cache, but I am trying to come up with ideas for the multi, and I thought of the rock after we found that one yesterday.

BTW, thanks for the Cache down near Utica! It was frustrating the first trip, but well worth the second trip back. We had a great time!

Hi Markwell,

Thanks for the foam suggestion. I will give it a try tomorrow and see what we get. Darn, now you will know where to look icon_smile.gif I see that you are quite active in this area....

I have 2 Caches that we are going to place. One is a multi with a puzzle of sorts. I have a decent way of camo for the single cache, but I am trying to come up with ideas for the multi, and I thought of the rock after we found that one yesterday.

BTW, thanks for the Cache down near Utica! It was frustrating the first trip, but well worth the second trip back. We had a great time!

Ive seen some fake rocks at Home Depot that are planters on top...but cant remember what the cost was...seems they were a bit pricey, but less then 50 I think and they were rather good size, easily fit a 50 cal ammo can under. but rather light...might blow

away in a strong wind unless rocks were placed in the planter area...which might be a giveaway.

Ive also seen some with out door speakers in them...

now with a small cassette player with a tape that repeated "over here" every 30 seconds or so and trigered by a motion sensor and battery....oh this could be fun.....wait what about 3 of them saying "over here" placed about 30 feet apart...

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

jeepsmiliedesertcamo.gif

I can just see it now - getting out of your car and opening your trunk and lifting what should be a 200lb rock and just hiking along w/ it.

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll

I played with the fake stump idea for a while. Got them looking pretty natural but temperature was a problem. The flatened top would expand and contract throughout the day. To me, it was a give away.

I had some Bondo and some window screen laying around and I was able to come up with some pretty real looking hollow rocks. Nothing that big yet, I'm still experimenting, but it's promising enough that I am going to try and place one in June that will be hiding an ammo can.

Might be worth someone else looking into.

geosign.gif

I have a cache placed that is hidden under what was supossed to be a fake rock. I used instafoam over a rubbermaid container. I put 7 cans on it then trimmed it to shape it like a rock. I got the color perfect using spray paint...and while it was wet adding natural soil on it. The problem was when I shaped it using a knife, instafoam leaves air holes. This cache has been described anywheres from a rock to a pile of sand to a lump of concrete. I would love to perfect it if anyone has ideas.

Happy geocaching

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

216270_200.jpg

This is a cool container. It's a stump fungus looking thing. It could be made to look like a rock.

It's made from an upside down ice cream container. Hardening foam from a can, I'm not sure the name of it. If you describe it at a hardware store they should know what it is. I've seen it used to fill the holes around conduit and pipes. It doesn't matter the color. You paint it with matte latex paint. You can stick twigs moss ferns or gravel on it while it's wet.

Let your creative whims loose.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

When you buy a satilite receiver, they sell a plastic boulder option to hide the small dish for areas where regulations prevent deploying a visable dish. It was large enough to hold about six 50cal ammo boxes and needs to be lifted up for access.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Anybody notice that the topic of Jim Meddick's comic strip "Monty" (formerly known as "RobotMan") the past two days has been "fake rocks?"

Huh, I've been reading that comic for more than a year and never even realized that the name had changed. It's still listed as Robotman in my bookmarks. icon_smile.gif

I did however know that there was a false rock as a 'secret' key hiding place in the story the past few days.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Anybody notice that the topic of Jim Meddick's comic strip "Monty" (formerly known as "RobotMan") the past two days has been "fake rocks?"

Huh, I've been reading that comic for more than a year and never even realized that the name had changed. It's still listed as Robotman in my bookmarks. icon_smile.gif

I did however know that there was a false rock as a 'secret' key hiding place in the story the past few days.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

thanks for everyones suggestions. After trying most of them and striking out, I gave this a whirl...(Illinois Cachers, please close your eyes icon_smile.gif )

http://members.directvinternet.com/wo9lf73/na9us/rock1.jpg

http://members.directvinternet.com/wo9lf73/na9us/rock2.jpg

The pictures don't really do it justice, as if you were to see it in person it would look much better.The picture makes it look like a brown blob. Total cost was about 20$ and about 1 hours work. If anyones interested, I can contact you with the details. We will see how good it works once we get it out in the field I guess.

[This message was edited by Team WO9LF on May 25, 2002 at 06:36 PM.]

thanks for everyones suggestions. After trying most of them and striking out, I gave this a whirl...(Illinois Cachers, please close your eyes icon_smile.gif )

http://members.directvinternet.com/wo9lf73/na9us/rock1.jpg

http://members.directvinternet.com/wo9lf73/na9us/rock2.jpg

The pictures don't really do it justice, as if you were to see it in person it would look much better.The picture makes it look like a brown blob. Total cost was about 20$ and about 1 hours work. If anyones interested, I can contact you with the details. We will see how good it works once we get it out in the field I guess.

[This message was edited by Team WO9LF on May 25, 2002 at 06:36 PM.]