G.P.S. in the News

Kerry-

NBC's web page gives this "teaser":

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 4

6:30 P.M. ET -

Once a military secret, now it’s catching bank robbers, keeping kids safer, and even helping cowboys herd cattle from space. What could it do for you?

(maybe Trailblazer isn't so crazy after all?)

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

Stunod, the list is probably endless but I'm not all that sure it was really one of those "Military secrets" (as such).

The GPS sats (the signals) are very effective and used extensively in weather forecasting (still a new science) and of course the gamma ray detectors on each vehicle effectively reverse engineer the position capabilities by being able to position nuclear detonations almost as they occur. Trailblazer won't like that one icon_biggrin.gif

Basically GPS became a public utility (the world's first and only global utility) as a result of the shooting down of KAL-007 in Sept 1983. GPS wasn't even 3 years old (with only 7 Block I sats up as part of the initial proving system.

Even the implementation of SA didn't come for some time (many years) after this.

Unfortuenately I probably won't get to see the program, pity.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Stunod, the list is probably endless but I'm not all that sure it was really one of those "Military secrets" (as such).

The GPS sats (the signals) are very effective and used extensively in weather forecasting (still a new science) and of course the gamma ray detectors on each vehicle effectively reverse engineer the position capabilities by being able to position nuclear detonations almost as they occur. Trailblazer won't like that one icon_biggrin.gif .................................................................................................................. (icon_biggrin.gif I really like the idea of hitting a bullet with a bullet being an expert marksman you know!There is always that first strike capability as well. No secret societies,cover ups or X-Files.I think that you have my whole position on matters all turned around.)............................................................................................

Basically GPS became a public utility (the world's first and only global utility) as a result of the shooting down of KAL-007 in Sept 1983. GPS wasn't even 3 years old (with only 7 Block I sats up as part of the initial proving system.

Even the implementation of SA didn't come for some time (many years) after this.

Unfortuenately I probably won't get to see the program, pity.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

When all else fails Geotry again.

There was an article in our local newspaper last week that certain brands of marine TV antennas are known to interfere with GPS reception. The article didn't mention the brands; it just recommended that you should turn off the power to the marine TV antenna and see if GPS reception improves. The article said if GPS reception improved, the owner should contact the manufacturer of the TV antenna.

The story actually discussed a few good uses for the GPS:

The watch parents could use to track their kids.

The city buses loaded with a unit, so that a digital clock at the bus stop could tell awaiting passengers how many minutes until the bus arrived.

A plan to have all future cell phones loaded with a GPS unit, so that 911 systems can tell exactly where you are to allow for faster response time.

Interesting and concerning at the same time.

==Case